• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

is this the reason why we sa has struggled so at world cups in the past ??

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
sa lack batsmen who understands how to structure an innings in odi's playing might be becaue we have played 45 over cricket domestically since 1997. there is no list a series shown by cricinfo archive before that . and then 40 overs for 2 seasons and now 50 overs for the last 4 seasons. the currernt crop of sa batsmen has no concept of sturcturing a odi innings. they either fall to test mode or 45 over mode.

no wonder

batsmen that should be there

puttick
zondo
van jaarsveld

and ontong for captaincy

bowlers

AL Phehlukwayo
rj petersen

why have we been playing 45/40 over cricket in sa for the from 97 to 2011 ?? and what finally made them go to 50 over cricket ??

i believe this the reaon for sa's poor worl cup showings since 1999.

so i am asking:

am i talking nonsense or not ?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most probably nonsense. Because then it would have to hold for both first innings and chases. Which it doesn't.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
1st ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Cape Town, Nov 24, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Port Elizabeth, Nov 27, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
3rd ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Centurion, Nov 30, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

It seems we lost against Pakistan in novo 2013 when they toured sa.

Maybe it was that the first two matches was played on slower pitches newlands and port Elizabeth chasing as well.

It seems we loose against good bowling on slower wickets I think Auckland wasn't that quick and I think against India the wicket was also slower than usual.

Maybe that's it..

When was the last time SA set a good score against quality bowling on a slow wicket batting first ??

Last edited:

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Most probably nonsense. Because then it would have to hold for both first innings and chases. Which it doesn't.
when was the last time sa set a target gainst a quality bowling attack and defended it ?? still you make a good point. will do some research.