• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Each nation's best & worst World Cup teams

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just thought this could be an interesting topic to discuss. My thoughts, just with the Test nations...

AUSTRALIA
Best: They're four-time winners, so we're a bit spoiled for choice. But I thought they had a particular aura of invincibility in 2003 and 2007.
Worst: 1983 - they were knocked out in the group stage and won only two of their eight games. The 2011 group were a bit unlucky that their relatively early exit compares so unfavourably with winning the previous three.

BANGLADESH
Best: Possibly 2015, actually. They seem to have more depth right now than I've seen before.
Worst: 2003 - it was their first World Cup since gaining Test status, so they had a bit of a point to prove. But instead they went winless and finished bottom of their pool, even losing to Canada.

ENGLAND
Best: Runners-up in in 1979, 1987 and 1992. I'd probably vote for their 1992 team as the best of these.
Worst: Is it too much of a knee-jerk to say 2015? There's no shortage of talent in the squad, but it just hasn't translated to results in the tournament.

INDIA
Best: Two-time winners of course, but I was particularly impressed by them in 2011.
Worst: A pretty ignominious early exit in 2007.

NEW ZEALAND
Best: Going with my heart and saying 2015.
Worst: We haven't really had a terrible one. We were narrowly knocked out in the pool stage in 1983, so I'd have to say that was our worst.

PAKISTAN
Best: 1992 stands out here, really.
Worst: I guess you'd have to say 2007 for them as well.

SOUTH AFRICA
Best: They seem to bring a formidable squad almost every time. But I particularly liked the group they had in 1999.
Worst: The group stage exit in 2003 was their worst result, but it was a strong team. They haven't really had a weak one. 1996 maybe?

SRI LANKA
Best: Hard to go past 1996.
Worst: They were pretty feeble in 1999.

WEST INDIES:
Best: The winning teams in 1975 and 1979 were both pretty legendary.
Worst: 2015 :(

ZIMBABWE
Best: 1999 was a fantastic squad. Loved watching them play.
Worst: 2007 was pretty weak for them.

What do you think?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
good shout, agree with all of them tbh ! from a personal perspective, absolutely agree for SL....

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Think India's team in 1975 and 79 were worse than the 2007 one.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not convinced England's 2015 side is their worst. 1996 one was pretty dire, just the minnows were weaker back then, as was the 2011 one.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
NZ's 83 team was actually crazy strong on paper by our standards, and we were good at ODI cricket in 82/83, but they had a poor tournament.

87 and 96 were the worse teams we have sent. 96 slightly overachieved based on their talent.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we talking about the worst result/performance or worst side going into the tournament?

In India's case their 07 line up wasn't the worst, they just happened to not play at their best and got knocked out, the 07 format was pretty poor as well so that obviously played a part.

Spark

Global Moderator
the aus 2007 wc team remains one of the most hilarious odi sides to ever take the field. ridiculously stacked.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Can someone give me a lesson on Sri Lanka's performances in 75, 79, 83 and 87 before I confirm with the OP about 99?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India 2007 wasn't India's worst. It just underperformed. Sure it wasn't going to win the world cup but it is better than India in 99.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Would go with 1975 as worst team for India. Gavaskar's 36*. Enough said. In 1979 too they didn't win a single game, not even against SL the minnows of the time. So that's a candidate too.

Isura

U19 Captain
Australia 2003 team was the best. Bowling was superb even without Warne and batting was the best of the bunch - peak Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Martyn, Symonds. And Bevan to finish it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the aus 2007 wc team remains one of the most hilarious odi sides to ever take the field. ridiculously stacked.
Remember when they had to manipulate the batting order to ensure Mike Hussey, of all people, actually got a hit?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England defo worse now than 2011. 99 would give this one a run for their money though.

Not sure on the best. Before my time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England defo worse now than 2011. 99 would give this one a run for their money though.

Not sure on the best. Before my time.

Gee, so you've never seen a decent England side in a WC? That's depressing on several levels.

1992 was our best WC side, even if it wasn't the only one to reach the final. Ultimately the force was with Pakistan by the end of that tournament, with their smattering of world class players making the difference.

1999 was an odd one. The side wasn't bad on paper, but they just didn't bat well enough against India in the group game and knocked out before the super 6.
SA didn't help by losing to Zim. It's a shame Cronje isn't still around to talk us through that one, as his side were usually superb.