• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team not to win the World Cup

Which is the best team not to win the WC?

• 1983 West Indies

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • 1987 & 1992 England

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 1996 Australia

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 1999 South Africa

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 2015 England

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The Hungarians of the 1950s, Dutch of the 1970s and 1982 Brazilians (might be more - I'm not a huge football fan) are talked about as the best sides not to win the World Cup, while the 1995 All Blacks are seen as rugby's best side not to win (I won't blame food poisoning) the RWC. Which is the best side not to win the CWC? I've given a few options but more could be added to the poll if required. I was tempted to add the 1992 NZ side, but on paper that is probably not justified.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'd say the 1983 Windies. And also the 99 Saffas (but at least they had tough competition and were knocked out by a greatish team).

Outside of world cups the 90/91 Aussies were awesome ODI cricketers with Dean Jones and Simon O'Donnell etc, way ahead of their time, but the team got collectively old and lost form by 92 and couldn't reverse the slide.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
The Hungarians of the 1950s, Dutch of the 1970s and 1982 Brazilians (might be more - I'm not a huge football fan) are talked about as the best sides not to win the World Cup, while the 1995 All Blacks are seen as rugby's best side not to win (I won't blame food poisoning) the RWC. Which is the best side not to win the CWC? I've given a few options but more could be added to the poll if required. I was tempted to add the 1992 NZ side, but on paper that is probably not justified.
1934 austria would demolish all those pretenders.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1934 austria would demolish all those pretenders.
I didn't know about the Wunderteam - interesting

"In the early 1930s, Austria became a very celebrated team in Europe. They entered the 1934 World Cup as the clear favorites. They had routed many of their opponents, including a 5-0 and a 6-0 victory over Germany,"(Wikipedia)

Was this the real reason for the Anschluss? If you can't beat 'em...

I still don't think they would stop Jonah Lomu in space.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The 2011 South Africa side was a brilliant team as well - definitely better than the current one. But yeah, it's gotta be the '83 Windies side - though that feels inappropriate somehow given that essentially the same team had won the previous tournament.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Correct answer perhaps is 1983 WI, if you consider how far ahead WI was of whichever team could claim to be second best. Voted for SA in 1999 though for nostalgic reasons.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Pakistan from 99 were also very good they had an atg odi bowling attack really even if Wasim was a little old he was still a gun and Shoaib and Saqlain were at their peaks really. Waqar was in their as well. Had some solid batting as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan from 99 were also very good they had an atg odi bowling attack really even if Wasim was a little old he was still a gun and Shoaib and Saqlain were at their peaks really. Waqar was in their as well. Had some solid batting as well.
Yeah, I was looking at Pakistan's 1999 world cup sqaud the other day. Except a certain Wajahatullah Wasti, every single player in the squad had a long and succesful ODI career.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/squad/471480.html

Edit: how did they still lose to India is beyond me.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was tempted to add the 1992 NZ side, but on paper that is probably not justified.
I'm pleased you didn't, because you rightly point out NZ were actually an incredibly mediocre side on paper.

It annoys me to this day when people talking about NZ's '92 choke. While Wrighty may have got some of the bowling options wrong in that infamous semi, I still maintain England would have done us like a dinner at the MCG had we made it through. I highly doubt our dibbly-dobblers would have strangled England on that quicker bouncier MCG track like it had to sides on those dung-heaps in NZ that year.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The 2nd option shouldn't be there. In 1987, both Pakistan and India had a better team than England; and South Africa was better than England in 1992 IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The 2nd option shouldn't be there. In 1987, both Pakistan and India had a better team than England; and South Africa was better than England in 1992 IMO.
Shame none of those sides beat us to the final then isn't it