• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Bangladesh (13th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure I understand that decision. Taylor, Elliot, Ronchi etc desperately needed time at the crease. Just because you have a higher chance of finishing things earlier by bowling first, doesn't mean it's the right decision.

There's a lot more to gain from putting up a big total, giving your batsmen confidence and time in the middle. Then the bowlers, who are already feeling good, can do what they do after that.
I think McCullum's attitude is that he has complete confidence in his team's abilities and preparations and thus he's doing whatever is more likely to lead to a win.

TBH in Hamilton I'd always bat first anyway so that seems weird too.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure I understand that decision. Taylor, Elliot, Ronchi etc desperately needed time at the crease. Just because you have a higher chance of finishing things earlier by bowling first, doesn't mean it's the right decision.

There's a lot more to gain from putting up a big total, giving your batsmen confidence and time in the middle. Then the bowlers, who are already feeling good, can do what they do after that.
Yes & no. I think doing what they feel is the best thing to win the game as opposed to best thing in terms of important batting practice for the middle order just shows how much respect they have for Bangladesh and how much they want to win the game. If it was a lesser team, I feel NZ would have taken the more challenging option.

I do see your point though.

I suppose the other interesting thing is....most other teams generally have looked to bat in this comp, so if that continues, it might suit Bmac's tenancy to bowl. However if we make the final at the G, you must bat first.

Zinzan

Calm down Smithy - slightly overdoing the cheer-leading antics with your mate Tom in the box. :p

Great start nonetheless.

jonbrooks

International Debutant

I agree. We should have batted first and given our out of form batsmen a chance to play themselves in.

Zinzan

Top bowling, although Bangers on course for 40 off their 50 overs here with their run-rate of 0.8.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
The way Bangladesh are batting might be the way to play the NZ bowlers i.e. play like it's a test match for the first 7 - 10 overs. Once the ball loses its shine then start scoring runs.

Zinzan

The way Bangladesh are batting might be the way to play the NZ bowlers i.e. play like it's a test match for the first 7 - 10 overs. Once the ball loses its shine then start scoring runs.
Don't think so, they've just been lucky...well up until then.

Lovely bowling. Holy ****.