• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Case against Rubel to be dropped because of world cup win :blink:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if Rubel is guilty of anything, it's being a womanising ****. Nothing else to see here, move along.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I strongly disagree with that line of thinking. I think in essence you are mixing what is moral with what is legal. Maybe Rubel is a complete douche (like many men) and would've said anything to have *** with that girl. That makes him a bad person, but not a criminal. Rape to me is clear-cut: If the woman was forced into *** without her consent, than it's rape. The definition of consent shouldn't be muddied, IMO, to include "conditions", as in "I only give you consent if you promise to marry me".

Let me point out problems with such conditional consents using an extreme scenario: What if a guy tells a gal, "have *** with me because I'm really good in bed and you won't be displeased". Say they then proceed to have *** and the girl decides, well hell, I AM displeased. Is that a case of rape because her "consent" was driven by a promise of ***ual satisfaction?

I think we should simply stick with the "no means no" traditional definition of rape or we'll run into a lot of trouble.
In response to the bolded, yes, my post is blending the legal with the moral -- I mention as much in the wall-of-text :p
Rape as a social construct delineating legitimate and illegitimate *** and rape as a legal construct delineating legal and illegal *** are two different things. I agree with you that, as the law stands in most Western nations at present, Rubel is not a criminal. But by Bangladeshi law, he conceivably could be (up to the courts and a jury to decide that, not that it's going to trial). I think we'd all agree that, if he did mislead her, his actions are douche-y.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The definition of consent shouldn't be muddied, IMO, to include "conditions", as in "I only give you consent if you promise to marry me".
What about "I'm only willing to have *** with you if you use a condom"?
What about "I only give you consent for ***ual acts A, B and C, but not D"?

What about lying about the results of an STI test to have *** with her?

I think this article is worth a read (arguably NSFW).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What about "I'm only willing to have *** with you if you use a condom"?
What about "I only give you consent for ***ual acts A, B and C, but not D"?

What about lying about the results of an STI test to have *** with her?

I think this article is worth a read (arguably NSFW).
The examples you list all relate to the actual act of *** in the first place though. There's a big difference between defining what is and isn't ok when it comes to ***, and the Rubel case which involves conditions that are entirely seperate to the alleged rape in question. I mean, in most cases, an implied condition of *** is that the partners will remain faithful to one another. Does that mean that anyone who cheats on their partner is guilty of rape?

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
off topic but I have a feeling Rubel will do an Ashraful on Bangladesh with this performance.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this shouldn't be rape at all. Guess what, even in India a rape case can be filed on grounds of having ***ual intercourse on false promise of marriage. We are seriously ****ed up country.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My school extracting hours out of the best years of my life promising they were "preparing me for the real world" the worst form of rape ever.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
weldone hard done by to be left out there
I took action against weldone's post earlier. I felt it was obvious enough to everybody that posting along those lines wasn't acceptable. Alas, apparently it was not, in spite of the huge number of infractions we've handed out for that type of thing.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Such a drama queen, Happy wrote all these when the match was ongoing:

''Yessss! I’m very happy. Got wicket. Well done Babu (baby), keep it up,” she wrote.

She sent a kiss his way after the dramatic win. “I’m speechless.”

“I hope Rubel plays well in all the upcoming matches. Like all cricket fans, I want him to succeed. My congratulations to the entire team,” -bdnews24.com

Teja.

Global Moderator
Dan,

First, the stand of "Who are we to comment about what constitutes rape in the South Asian cultural context" would have merit if the South Asian/Bangladeshi norm was that *** on false promise would actually be considered rape. This, however, is patently untrue. It was not the intent of the legislature while framing the 'consent' laws that false promise would be interpreted within the legal framework for rape in the modern world devoid of context. Rape charges like this are widely considered a joke both by society and legal academic circles.

It is definitely true that reneging on a marriage promise obviously has drastically different connotations in BD and in the western world and a societal argument can be made for punishing false promises of marriage (though I wouldn't subscribe to it). However, that has to constitute a completely different legal framework and trying to hijack it using a super technical interpretation of rape laws is something which is thoroughly ridiculous. It is not a societal differences issue as you have framed it but an insufficiency in South Asian law regarding the interpretation of consent which has led to vexatious litigation which should be rectified within the next few years, at least in the Indian context.

Additionally, you obviously agree that there are certain types of laws in countries which should be universally looked down upon. A 5 year jail sentence/caning for possession of marijuana or say, imprisonment for homosexuality. Rigorous imprisonment, the deprivation of enjoyment of life and liberty for a charge such as *** on false promise of marriage is something you're comfortable with, regardless of where in the world it might be?

Basically, the false promise *** issue, particularly with regard to rape conviction is neither jurisprudentially nor societally nor logically nor morally accurate. It exists due to a technicality in interpretation of law.

It's the bastard child of blackmail litigation and context-less interpretation of statute and having the issue of rape in the same hemisphere does a lot of damage to rape laws which are an extremely important legal protection.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I have to say here Dan, you're not making a huge amount of sense with this line of argument, and there's something about this sort of cultural relativism which makes me slightly uncomfortable.