• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC - Ruining Everything Since Forever

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
ICC revoke accreditation for Alternative Commentary Collective after incident | Stuff.co.nz

The group had the plug pulled on its tournament broadcasts on Monday when the International Cricket Council (ICC) confirmed it had revoked tournament accreditation for the radio commentary team because of a breach of rules on entering the playing arena.

Comedian Leigh Hart, part of the collective, walked onto McLean Park during a drinks break in Sunday's Black Caps match against Afghanistan.

Hart was quoted as saying the stunt was part of a promotion by tournament sponsor Gatorade who asked him to accompany the drinks trolley onto the field

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You'd think that this is a simple misunderstanding that should be fairly easy to sort out. But knowing the ICC, I do fear that we've heard the last of Wells & co for the season.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You'd think that this is a simple misunderstanding that should be fairly easy to sort out. But knowing the ICC, I do fear that we've heard the last of Wells & co for the season.
They've revoked accreditation. If they were going to be at all reasonable about things that wouldn't have happened.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's possible that this was a knee-jerk reaction by some boffin who didn't bother to investigate the circumstances, in which case a reversal wouldn't be entirely impossible. But I agree that it seems more likely that this is just the the ICC being their usual stubborn, draconian, short-sighted selves.

jcas0167

International Debutant
It's possible that this was a knee-jerk reaction by some boffin who didn't bother to investigate the circumstances, in which case a reversal wouldn't be entirely impossible. But I agree that it seems more likely that this is just the the ICC being their usual stubborn, draconian, short-sighted selves.
I have some hope that once the media people have explained the situation with Gatorade that sanity would prevail. Given that this kind of heavy handedness is a bad look for cricket, I'd hope that David White might have a word to someone at the ICC.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I have some hope that once the media people have explained the situation with Gatorade that sanity would prevail. Given that this kind of heavy handedness is a bad look for cricket, I'd hope that David White might have a word to someone at the ICC.
NZC hasn't dared touch it. They're well aware of the situation and won't make any comment.

The same cowardice as with the Bond situation.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with you, although what we see as harmless prank kiwi humour, others see as threats to security & protocols, so I can kind of see both sides.

Remembering if a random comedian run on to the field in India with the drinks cart they'd be close to getting the rifles out there.

Entirely different worlds.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if Leigh Hart's Gatorade ride was used as an excuse by the ICC rather than highlight their real issue which was their concern about the ACC's "milk of the japsie" competition on Sunday...

Zinzan

idk but the one time I tuned in they were off on a tangent about animal female genitalia size. Free speech!
Agreed, good for a piss & giggle for about 10 minutes ...then it's the same dry over the top humour and becomes a bit Zzzz.

Wells is okay btw, but the others tend to try too hard to be dry & funny & it wears off fast, a bit like CW's cake & icing references ;)

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Agreed, good for a piss & giggle for about 10 minutes ...then it's the same dry over the top humour and becomes a bit Zzzz.

Wells is okay btw, but the others tend to try too hard to be dry & funny & it wears off fast, a bit like CW's cake & icing references ;)
NO YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH CAKE AND ICING

z

Zinzan

The incident itself kind of smacks of that stunt Marc Ellis and co did 10-15 years ago when they breached security into one of the overseas America's Cup syndicate docks for a sports cafe prank.

Not sure if anyone remembers that. It wasn't so much that the incidents are similar, but that overseas authorities view these things much more seriously than we do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the puns and extended metaphors relating to cake/icing have been done to death, but I actually think the original concept is a timeless way to describe the way OD batting lineups are structured. It's a genuinely useful metaphor when not extended beyond its original purpose.

Zinzan

Indeed, it is useful, but sadly loses it's metaphorical effect when smashed into smithereens.