• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moving forward what type of side should England pick in ODI cricket?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
@Burge my problem with Bell is his Watson like tendency to get to 40 then get out playing a soft shot. It's absolutely useless for the team because he's often used up quite a lot of deliveries doing so, so he'll often have the team both behind the 8 ball and having to pick up the slack with a new to the crease batsman.

If you're an opener then you either have to go big or go hard. Bell does neither and it's why we need rid of him.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Hey you leave watto out of this. Better conversion rate than bell in Odis and he used to be able to bowl pretty well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a fair criticism. If he gets sacked I'd bat Root at opener and bring in someone else to the middle order.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Without knowing a lot about the upcoming players in CC I'd personally be looking at a cleanout. Morgan's been in pretty poor form for a while and probably shouldn't have been made captain before the World Cup.

Root* (he used to be an opener in domestic cricket and has already shown he's capable of withstanding quality bowling, gets the captaincy due to being one of the few locks in the team)
Second Opener (don't really know the best options but there has to be someone at least worth trying around)
James Taylor (solid innings builder, while he hasn't set the world on fire he is still new to International cricket and should be given a decent run in a new team)
Ballance (or some other middle order bat, again Ballance is still new to International cricket and should be given more of a run, he was also returning from injury which won't help)
Buttler + (move him up, could even look at taking the gloves off of him)
Ali (the aggressive cameos he plays IMO are more suited down the order than opening, obviously if no other decent opening option comes along he can always move up)
Stokes/Luke Wright (England need IMO someone besides Buttler who can provide some fireworks with the bat and an additional bowling option isn't going to hurt)
Woakes (no reason to drop him after his recent performances, if his batting is rated higher than his current output he could even be trialled as second opener or something like that with a keeper coming in to take the gloves off of Buttler)

Not too sure of the bowling options after this. I'd definitely keep Finn around and for a home world cup Broad and Anderson should be good options if they're still going. In the meantime though other options should be looked at with Rankin and Finn forming the short term core of the attack (assuming Broad and Anderson likely to miss most ODI's due to rest from Tests).

Give this side a year or so to try to stabilize and if things don't improve make further changes based on that.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Varun Chopra could be useful as an anchor-type opener in ODI cricket. In this new world with the double-new ball, then there is value in the openers seeing off the new ball (even if Furball can't see the value in Bell's contribution in this respect).

I'd love to see Graham Napier get a go. Wonderful OD bowler. Possibly 8 years too late...

nick-o

State 12th Man
Realistically, I'd say a lot depends on Cook -- he's had the best World Cup of any England player. and there's still a powerful support lobby among the suits and coaches. If he shows some form against the WIndies, I think he could slot back in to general acclaim. I guess it depends on what he wants to do; you wouldn't blame him if he gives up on ODs altogether; but if he wants back in, I reckon he's a lock.

That means you can dump Bell and Morgan, and build the Root-Taylor-Buttler middle order. The issue is to find a new bowling attack.

social

I find it strange that so many people are calling for Bell's axing

He didn't have the worst WC, is obviously a good player and only 32

Would have thought that England have more pressing problems than him

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I find it strange that so many people are calling for Bell's axing

He didn't have the worst WC, is obviously a good player and only 32

Would have thought that England have more pressing problems than him
I wouldn't blacklist him forever.. but he certainly does frustrate, and I don't think he's exactly going to improve from here. He just is what he is.

I think that if England are going to focus their ODI efforts on building for the next World Cup, they have a lot more to be gained by leaving him out of ODI sides for the next couple of years. If the blokes they try in his place don't work out and he's still seeing it well in Tests and domestic one dayers then they can bring him back in the last year leading up to the next WC. They know what they're going to get and it's decent but frustrating; if that's the best they've got to offer by the time the next WC rolls around then so be it, but there's more to be gained from playing others for a little while.

social

I wouldn't blacklist him forever.. but he certainly does frustrate, and I don't think he's exactly going to improve from here. He just is what he is.

I think that if England are going to focus their ODI efforts on building for the next World Cup, they have a lot more to be gained by leaving him out of ODI sides for the next couple of years. If the blokes they try in his place don't work out and he's still seeing it well in Tests and domestic one dayers then they can bring him back in the last year leading up to the next WC. They know what they're going to get and it's decent but frustrating; if that's the best they've got to offer by the time the next WC rolls around then so be it, but there's more to be gained from playing others for a little while.
Don't disagree but the same can also be said for Broad, Anderson, perhaps Finn (I have seen nothing to suggest that this is merely a temporary slump) and Bopara

If England were to adopt that policy (and I am not saying that they shouldn't btw given how **** they are atm) then their next team will have precious little experience

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ly

the 2013 Champions Trophy team

Cook
Bell
Trott
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Bresnan
Broad
Tredwell
Anderson

Cook's gone, Trott's gone, Bresnan's gone and Bopara and Tredwell are basically gone too, and obviously Swann and KP are gone too. So England's OD cricket has already started going in a new direction and it's actually probably played a big part in their departure as the replacements aren't really performing and neither are the old guys.

Thus far, of the 'new' guys (Moeen, Hales/Ballance, Taylor, Woakes & Jordan), none of them have actually nailed down a spot in the team. Moeen is the closet but he's in the team as the spinning option, and has been thrown into the opening spot, a lot like your typical domestic OD keepers gets thrown into it, and he's not very good at it. So you've got a big problem there regarding what spot he's even supposed be filling (spinner? opener? all-rounder?). Bell should probably go, but I'd probably lean to just picking Cook again, assuming his horror run of form ends, although not necessarily making him captain.

I think mainly the WC just came around at the wrong moment for this new group, and sure management should get some criticism for the planning etc, but i'm not sure the task ahead of them is that big.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't disagree but the same can also be said for Broad, Anderson, perhaps Finn (I have seen nothing to suggest that this is merely a temporary slump) and Bopara
Well yeah I agree basically.

The big difference with Finn is that he actually might improve by playing. Bell isn't going to get better by playing more ODIs; they should try out some other blokes for the next couple of years and then bring Bell back in nearer to the World Cup if they still think he's the best option after that.

Flem274*

123/5
England perform below the sum of their parts. A bowling attack with Broad and Anderson in it shouldn't be as bad as it is. Both of the two lead bowlers have been dire.

The middle order is easy - Root, Taylor, Buttler. Done. Moeen can slot in wherever as the spin bowling allrounder. Finn is a guy they need back at his best. Woakes has a lot of upside to perservering with him. If Hales plays he has to open. Curtains for Bopara and Bell.

They need a captain who considers himself English too. Morgan can't exactly tell his team about pride in playing for your country when he so clearly identifies as Irish yet captains England. Look at the anthem singing.

Buttler to captain. Just a hunch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stuart Broad – Bin. He is a protected species, is not and never has been that good an ODI bowler, his batting has gone to **** and frankly he needs a rocket lit up his arse IMO. Dropping him from the ODI side achieves that without weakening it for the sake of it.
How do you figure Broad has never been a good ODI bowler? Madness

social

Well yeah I agree basically.

The big difference with Finn is that he actually might improve by playing. Bell isn't going to get better by playing more ODIs; they should try out some other blokes for the next couple of years and then bring Bell back in nearer to the World Cup if they still think he's the best option after that.
There is obviously something amiss with Finn's bowling and I am not sure that he will improve by playing as I suspect that it is both a biomechanical and mental problem

In any event, quick and wayward can be managed but 135ish and wayward is just rubbish

social

How do you figure Broad has never been a good ODI bowler? Madness
English summer will be massive for Broad as he has looked past his used by date in the WC - just no nip to his bowling irrespective of what the speed gun says

Pothas

Na ridiculous to have a domestic game that plays differently to the international one.
Sure they should play the same game but I really doubt that it has any negative effects. If it was still the old 60 over format then maybe.