• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moving forward what type of side should England pick in ODI cricket?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hasnt Rashid taken loads of poles in LO cricket over the last few years?
Last season maybe, not sure he was even picked for List A for awhile.

In the end I suppose he may have been picked, so I guess that would be better than Tredwell. I should remind everyone I wanted Ali and Tricky Tredders playing, and considering everyone else in the World seems to be saying people not picked would have been brilliant (as obviously it can't be proved wrong), I'll claim that one.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Criticising England for picking Taylor over Barstow is clutching at ****ing huge straws. Sometimes you just have to accept the players aren't good enough. Hales, Bairstow, Stokes, they've all been **** when played, but you'd think they were world class when not playing. By all means try players, but we did that and they weren't good enough.

grecian

Criticising England for picking Taylor over Barstow is clutching at ****ing huge straws. Sometimes you just have to accept the players aren't good enough. Hales, Bairstow, Stokes, they've all been **** when played, but you'd think they were world class when not playing. By all means try players, but we did that and they weren't good enough.
Well I've been making this point from before the Tournament started that the ones rated highest for England will be invariably be the ones who didn't play, we'd have been ****e whomever probably, mind you even I was shocked at quite how bad we were.

Niall

International Coach
I am getting the feeling that many English fans here are trying to see if they can have a team of 11 matchwinners.. That so very rarely happens. Bell is a good example... He is doing OK for his role, so just give the man a bit of time. You cannot expect match winning performances from every player. Bell is a good solid bat and will be a good counter for Ali at the other end.

Yeah he is doing ok, but after 3 world cups people expect a little more , and as someone with 160 games it is not to much to have got a few more match winning innings than we have. He never will stink the place out like a Dwayne Smith or Nasir Jamshed, but if you are serious about winning a Word Cup, you need more than what Bell brings. The Bangladesh game was typical of him, it wasn't an awful knock, but ultimately as the senior player, he should have finished and he didn't.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Give Billings the gloves imo. Need a bit of public school rah behind the stumps to galvanise the field and upset the opposition. Buttler just a bit too quiet and nice behind the stumps + still a bit untidy. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are but behind the stumps you need the keeper to keep the field motivated and keep annoying the bats - I may be wrong but I don't get that impression from Buttler. Buttler is smart I think but lacking the keeper mongrel eccentricity. i.e Stewart, Russel, Prior etc. Also helps to give Buttler a rest from his extensive schedule.

Give Buttler the captaincy if you drop Morgan but I'd be inclined to leave Morgan for one year as you don't want to leave the team completely devoid of experience and see how he does. And i'm much more in favour of sticking with someone like Morgan who at one point was very good and won't have to be rested from the occasional odi series - than Bell who has never been good and will still be playing test cricket and will probably need to be rested at some point.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
A few blokes who will probably be in the team in 2019:

Brendan Taylor (captain)
Josh Davey
Kyle Coetzer
Paul Stirling
George Dockrell

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few blokes who will probably be in the team in 2019:

Brendan Taylor (captain)
Josh Davey
Kyle Coetzer
Paul Stirling
George Dockrell
Taylor can't qualify for 7 years, Davey can't get a consistent role in county cricket, and there's suggestions that Stirling doesn't want to play for England.

Only Dockrell has a real shot of being selected by England.

Pothas

I think he may have been joking. I understand the stunning originality of it may have taken you by surprise.

FBU

International Debutant

1 Cook
2 Trott
3 Taylor
4 Root
5 Stokes
6 Buttler
7 Ali
8 Woakes
9 Jordan
10 Wood
11 Dunn

I'd keep Anderson for 2 more years. Broad and Finn for 20/20s. Cook only to come back if he is back in the runs otherwise Taylor as captain.