• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Call me racist or whatever ...

jonbrooks

International Debutant
But I firmly believe Zimbabwe would have had a much better chance at the WC if their players were picked on ability instead of race.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm shocked to see an unfavourable opinion regarding the political climate of Zimbabwe. Absolutely shocked.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
99% of the time that preface comes before something racist. I genuinely have no idea why you used it on this particular occasion.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well, some might feel that the blacks in the Zimbabwe team are there on merit.
uhhh why don't you just talk about who should be in the team and who shouldn't be?

Can we do that please?

Because sentences like that, even with the proviso that they're true (I have no idea whether or not they are true) do indeed sound damn racist.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
But I firmly believe Zimbabwe would have had a much better chance at the WC if their players were picked on ability instead of race.
Can you go into details on why you believe this given that you firmly believe it?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is I do think they actually pick on ability now. It's just that most people who had the chance to leave the country did, and these were monolithically white.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is such a small player base in Zimbabwe now, it would take a lot of effort to try and discriminate, you would think.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There are many institutional problems within the setup of ZC. Some of them, like it or not, are race-related.

However, and I say this as a keen follower of Zimbabwean domestic cricket and as someone deeply opposed to 'affirmative action' and quotas, there was nothing racist about the squad selection for the World Cup or the team selection yesterday.

If you're going to make a claim like that then you have to be much more specific about which players you think should've been selected instead.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There are many institutional problems within the setup of ZC. Some of them, like it or not, are race-related.

However, and I say this as a keen follower of Zimbabwean domestic cricket and as someone deeply opposed to 'affirmative action' and quotas, there was nothing racist about the squad selection for the World Cup or the team selection yesterday.

If you're going to make a claim like that then you have to be much more specific about which players you think should've been selected instead.
Yeah an argument could certainly be made for how this has sculpted Zimbabwe cricket overall, but from the current crop of players no one has been unjustly left out.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, some might feel that the blacks in the Zimbabwe team are there on merit.
Are you suggesting none of them are there on merit? Seems like a sweeping generalisation to me. Which is appropriate for this thread, I suppose.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Well you've just created a bit of a strawman here, haven't you? You're asking me to pick the white players who would have been chosen over the black players but the reality is all the good white crickets are being persecuted and don't get to play FC cricket. Furthermore most of the talented white cricketers have left the country.

Spark

Global Moderator
ah yes that devious strawman known as "exactly the question asked in the one-sentence op"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well you've just created a bit of a strawman here, haven't you?
No; you've shifted the goalposts. You were specifically referring to selection in this thread; not structural problems that I agree exist.

if their players were picked on ability instead of race
If you're going to make a claim that their selection was wrong/biased, which -- regardless of whether you go on to deny it by shifting the goalposts again after this post -- is exactly what you did in the opening post, you should have examples of their poor selection.

The national selections absolutely did pick players on ability, not race. There are race-related problems with their structure -- absolutely. But you've claimed they weren't picking based on merit. I actually believe this was true at times in the past but it is categorically false at the moment.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't even know which Zim guys are black and which are white.

#innerbeauty
#spreadsheetsnoteyes

:P