• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nightmare tournament-ending injuries for each WC side

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just reflecting on how important AB is to SA got me thinking which player from each side would be the worst to lose to injury?

And would AB definitely be a bigger loss than for SA than Steyn?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd say Baz for us. Everyone else weakens a position or two, losing Baz would drag down the entire squad.

Zinzan

I'd say Baz for us. Everyone else weakens a position or two, losing Baz would drag down the entire squad.
Yeah, nah. What about our batting foundation which is KW?

You don't think the team could still keep fueled from McCullum's juices at this stage of the tournament, like as a tribute to him?

KW did skipper the side to a ODI series win recently remember.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Toss up between he and Mathews atm isn't it? I say that mainly because Mathews white-ball bowling has been so consistently tight.
Indeed, but losing the experience and class of Sanga would hurt more I think, we aren't short of bowling options even without Matthews

Zinzan

Am I being too reactionary thinking Starc would be Australia's worst injury atm?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, nah. What about our batting foundation which is KW?

You don't think the team could still keep fueled from McCullum's juices at this stage of the tournament, like as a tribute to him?

KW did skipper the side to a ODI series win recently remember.
I'm going with Athers on this one. I don't think there's many captains who would've kept their foot on the opposition's throat the way he did against Australia.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm going with Athers on this one. I don't think there's many captains who would've kept their foot on the opposition's throat the way he did against Australia.
Yup that's it. Williamson is our best player and would be a huge loss but as long as we had Baz there'd be belief. Reverse that and you have a better batsman available but the aura is gone.

Zinzan

Fair call, although I was say KW's tactics were surprisingly attacking in the UAE series, even if he is a much less animated chap.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fair call, although I was say KW's tactics were surprisingly attacking in the UAE series, even if he is a much less animated chap.
Don't think Kane is a poor captain at all, but I think everyone looking at this current team knows that McCullum is the key.

Zinzan

Don't think Kane is a poor captain at all, but I think everyone looking at this current team knows that McCullum is the key.
Yeah, you've convinced me. But KW would be the only challenge.

Waiting for someone to say TB.. :ph34r:

indiaholic

International Captain
I would have thought VK for India.
Yeah maybe VK. Point is, it feels as if even if one crucial player is out, we will do okay. For NZ, I somehow feel, Baz being there is vitally important.. He is NZ's spirit animal.

andmark

International Captain
Rather frighteningly, the closest I think of for England would be Moeen Ali or Joe Root.

Zinzan

Yeah maybe VK. Point is, it feels as if even if one crucial player is out, we will do okay. For NZ, I somehow feel, Baz being there is vitally important.. He is NZ's spirit animal.
Disagree, India still rely heavily on both VK & MD imo. That's the great strength of their batting having glue both at the top and in the middle/lower order.

Either of them missing totally messes with India's equilibrium.