• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

32nd Match - Australia v Sri Lanka (8th March 2015)

Who will win this match?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep me too. There's something about having all the best players in one country (well, two countries) vying for one goal which is just great. Plus cricket on almost every day is awesome.

The people who are negative on the WC tend to be cricket snobs tbh. Some of the whining about how long the WC is on ABC's Offsiders is just getting repetitive. Oh no is it an extra week too long for you once every 4 years? boo hoo.

Antihippy

International Debutant
It is too long when you look at the schedule. No reason to not have 2 matches everyday considering there are 2 host nations.

Do agree that there have been some great matches this WC.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised Burgey underrates KW so much tbh.

I wouldn't have thought it was that absurd a suggestion to push the case for a bloke averaging 70 with a SR of 90 in the last 2 years (and virtually getting a 50 every time he plays) as one of the top 5 ODI bats around atm...

I mean it's fine if you want to suggest he may actually be 6th or 7th....but to laugh out loud at the suggestion seems a tad short-sighted for a chap who loves & follows his cricket as Burgey does.

Burgey

I'm not saying he can't play, I think he's a serious player. I just don't think he's in the top five is all.

Granted the "lol" was probably excessive on my part. It's a bit like when there's discussions around the great batsmen of the past 20 years and someone says "lol, saying X is better than Y". It makes it sound like you don't rate the fella at all, which isn't the case in those discussions, or indeed in this case despite it sounding dismissive of me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think in a list of Sangakkara, ABDV, Kohli and Dhoni, Williamson doesn't yet fit in.

But yeah, he's certainly one of the best in the world at the moment. Just those other guys are exceptional.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think in a list of Sangakkara, ABDV, Kohli and Dhoni, Williamson doesn't yet fit in.

But yeah, he's certainly one of the best in the world at the moment. Just those other guys are exceptional.
Yeah; Amla should definitely still be rated higher than Kane in ODIs as well IMO.

If he should be ahead of anyone in that list then it should probably be Dhoni as he's been pretty average in ODIs for a while.. but yeah I think I'd have Kane just outside the top five tbh.

Burgey

Yeah I'd have Amla in there ahead of him, though his record in recent times puts him well worth a discussion. That knock he played against Australia was awesome, even though the match situation meant it was never going to be a big score on his part.

He has a presence to him when he bats. I like players who have that. The guys in your list above, plus Amla have it. Clarke has it in tests (not ODIs really, he has harly played any), so does Warner, though more so in tests as well imo. Watching Sanga yesterday, there was a serenity to him, almost like he was operating on a different plane. Same when Clarke batted. You sort of look up and see they're 50 and you realise they've done it efficiently with little fuss, but all the while giving off a bit of an aura that you aren't really going to get them out. It's pretty awful to bowl to people like that.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
They should play with 3 proper pacers, Malinga, Lakmal & D Chameera, in the coming match vs Scotland.

Feels they were too light on good pacers throughout the tournament so far but they should test out D Chameera & give another chance to Lakmal before the knockouts.

Zinzan

but yeah I think I'd have Kane just outside the top five tbh.
So would I ftr. His current ranking of 6 feels about right to me.

Was just questioning Burgey's 'lol' ,which he's since explained ;)

Zinzan

I actually thought Clarke looked more fluent than Smith in the bits I saw of that partnership.

Was really impressed with Watto at 6 too.

So is the following now Australia's top side?

Finch
Warner
Smith (7)
Clarke
Watson (5)
Maxwell (floater) (6)
Haddin
Faulkner (4)
Johnson (2)
Starc (1)
Cummins (3)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I'd have Amla in there ahead of him, though his record in recent times puts him well worth a discussion. That knock he played against Australia was awesome, even though the match situation meant it was never going to be a big score on his part.

He has a presence to him when he bats. I like players who have that. The guys in your list above, plus Amla have it. Clarke has it in tests (not ODIs really, he has harly played any), so does Warner, though more so in tests as well imo. Watching Sanga yesterday, there was a serenity to him, almost like he was operating on a different plane. Same when Clarke batted. You sort of look up and see they're 50 and you realise they've done it efficiently with little fuss, but all the while giving off a bit of an aura that you aren't really going to get them out. It's pretty awful to bowl to people like that.
yeah when sanga was on like 10 or 20 last night i realised australia weren't going to get him out for a long time.