• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

31st Match - New Zealand v Afghanistan (8th March 2015)

Who will win this match?

• Afghanistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 31st Match of the World Cup between New Zealand and Afghanistan (McLean Park, Napier).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chance of the highest score in the Tournament if NZ bat first IMO.

Can see them starting slowly with the likes of Guptill trying to find his feet & before going berserk in the last 20 overs.

Really do hope we bat first, we could really do with a full 50 overs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I might put a grand on Dawlat to pick up Guptill early.

Except it's Napier so who knows.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Rossco, 1992's calling they want their batting tactics back. I don't want to see these pathetic block bashing tactic's he has been using lately. Rotate the strike a bit man. In 2015, 3 off 20 is not acceptable for a bloke of Taylors class.

Hopefully Ross can bat his way out of being the Captain/Coach of the 2015 Cricket World Cup Underperforming XI. Basically all batsman of note have now scored something decent, it must be Taylors turn surely.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Rossco, 1992's calling they want their batting tactics back. I don't want to see these pathetic block bashing tactic's he has been using lately. Rotate the strike a bit man. In 2015, 3 off 20 is not acceptable for a bloke of Taylors class.

Hopefully Ross can bat his way out of being the Captain/Coach of the 2015 Cricket World Cup Underperforming XI. Basically all batsman of note have now scored something decent, it must be Taylors turn surely.
Completely agree. Don't know WTF has happened to Taylor. Hopefully he starts scoring some runs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Such reactive posting.

Pretty much everyone except Williamson and Kohli have struggle to rotate the strike with the new fielding rules. It's just not that easy.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such reactive posting.

Pretty much everyone except Williamson and Kohli have struggle to rotate the strike with the new fielding rules. It's just not that easy.
Whilst there's some truth to that, I think the criticism of Taylor for not being more proactive in rotating the strike early in his innings is more than fair tbh.

I know both his career record and even his record in the last 12 months has been good so people naturally think that makes him immune from criticism, but he needs to work on rotating strike early in his innings like most of the top ODI players do.

As I've said a number of times, it's all well & good being 5 off 20 if you can make it up later in the innings as Taylor so often manages to do, but on the occasions he does get dismissed having wasted deliveries, it really puts the side on the back foot.

Honestly don't think it's unfair fans calling for just a little more urgency and pro-activeness from him.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Such reactive posting.

I find most of the aussies to be good strike rotators, the SL big three are also very good (even with sanga having some running troubles), the SA's are peerless at finding the gaps IMO. Amla and Du Plessis are very good and de Villiers and Duminy are basically always aware of quick singles and turning ones in to two's. Most of the elite ODI batsman are good at getting the singles. Even the poms have Root and Taylor who are good at it. We pretty much only have Williamson and thats it which is sad (maybe Elliott?). Rosco has the ability to be good at strike rotation but not the recent form.

McCullum, Anderson and Ronchi have the ability to hit boundaries early in their innings and they don't ever get bogged down for too long so they are not a worry. Guptill only ever has two gears and we have no one better so we have to put up with him. Taylor is every bit as important to us as Williamson, he is probably our best bat ever after Crowe (or maybe Williamson as well).

Last edited: