• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

31st Match - New Zealand v Afghanistan (8th March 2015)

Who will win this match?

• Afghanistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has it actually been confirmed? Richardson said on CGW that it was just speculation based on who was training in the nets, which can be misleading.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has it actually been confirmed? Richardson said on CGW that it was just speculation based on who was training in the nets, which can be misleading.
Nah you're right, pure speculation from the journalist at the practise session based on the batting order in the nets.

anil1405

International Captain
My respect for NZ would only go up (not that its low now) if they allow Afghanistan to score 200 and make them feel they deserve to be at the top level.

Antihippy

International Debutant
I actually do think that would be the ultimate form of condescension. They're not there to be pitied.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
My respect for NZ would only go up (not that its low now) if they allow Afghanistan to score 200 and make them feel they deserve to be at the top level.
i think the afghans would be the first to say they'd rather get rolled for 40 fair and square than get an easy ride

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think you guys are misunderstanding anil there.

I think he's just saying that he won't down-rate NZ if Afghanistan manage to do well against us. For example, many people down-rated us when we laboured the Scotland chase.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Not sold on the idea of the same XI. I just think it would be very lucky if we went through the whole tournament without any injuries. If Southee rolls his ankle in warm-ups for the quarter-final, you'll have a bowler coming in who has not played competitive cricket for a month.

anil1405

International Captain
I actually do think that would be the ultimate form of condescension. They're not there to be pitied.
I did not mean to say NZ should give away easy runs. Lets just say Afghan manage to scrape through to 200.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Not sold on the idea of the same XI. I just think it would be very lucky if we went through the whole tournament without any injuries. If Southee rolls his ankle in warm-ups for the quarter-final, you'll have a bowler coming in who has not played competitive cricket for a month.
on the other hand, this isn't the kind of thinking that wins you world cups. Give your best all the game time they can get imo.

Days of Grace

International Captain
on the other hand, this isn't the kind of thinking that wins you world cups. Give your best all the game time they can get imo.
On the contrary, I am taking into account all possibilities and thinking what is the best way for the team to counter them. It doesn't even have to be an injury. It could be food-poisoning, a fever, or whatever on the morning of a knockout game.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
On the contrary, I am taking into account all possibilities and thinking what is the best way for the team to counter them. It doesn't even have to be an injury. It could be food-poisoning, a fever, or whatever on the morning of a knockout game.
McHesson seem to think that to win a world cup you need to take risks and back your best leaving you with the best honed group of 11 players the country can possibly produce. I understand the logic behind it and it's exactly what we need if we're to beat a strong Aussie or SA side in Australia. Hedging your bets by giving the backups precious gametime is pointless at this stage imo.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Eh Maybe, but honestly, one game a week isn't a taxing schedule, and I'd rather the players keep busy rather than going into the quarters with no cricket in the last 2 weeks.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah as much as I want to see ATG/MVP Latham play, Anderson needs as much game time as possible