• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

26th Match - Australia v Afghanistan

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Have you watched a lot of cricket on turning tracks yet? It's pretty defensive in Oceania, and in OD cricket generally really, but games on bunsens where the ball is turning lots can be awesome.
You may need to define that unless tricia has been watching more than what she lets on

Primrose_D12

U19 Cricketer
What about Tom Candiotti...
I'm a bad-with-names casual so I'll admit I don't even know who that is. Sorry =/

I'd say I find fast bowling way more exciting, and I'm certainly not passionate about spin bowling the same way as with fast bowling, but I certainly think spin bowling has a place in the game and makes for great viewing.
I don't disagree; it definitely has its place. I'm not saying I want teams to always go with four quicks in their attack or anything like that. It's just that right now, my mind tends to wander when the spinners come in. Perhaps it's just that I don't understand it that well since I've only been watching cricket for a few years.

Have you watched a lot of cricket on turning tracks yet? It's pretty defensive in Oceania, and in OD cricket generally really, but games on bunsens where the ball is turning lots can be awesome.
I don't think so. I've watched a lot of New Zealand because I got introduced to cricket essentially by a Kiwi, so ended up watching them a lot. A match that stands out as one of the best I've ever watched was on a green minefield in Hobart in... 2012? 2013? I forgot. New Zealand won by a single digit amount of runs. It was very exciting for me to watch. That said, I mostly end up watching the limited overs forms. Test matches are on terrible times of day for me here in the US.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
II don't think so. I've watched a lot of New Zealand because I got introduced to cricket essentially by a Kiwi, so ended up watching them a lot. A match that stands out as one of the best I've ever watched was on a green minefield in Hobart in... 2012? 2013? I forgot. New Zealand won by a single digit amount of runs. It was very exciting for me to watch. That said, I mostly end up watching the limited overs forms. Test matches are on terrible times of day for me here in the US.
Yeah spin bowling generally is pretty defensive in New Zealand because the conditions really don't suit attacking spin bowling. I think you'll probably learn to appreciate it more once you've been exposed a wider variety of conditions.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bad-with-names casual so I'll admit I don't even know who that is. Sorry =/
Tom Candiotti played in 1990s and was a knuckle ball pitcher who threw the ball the same speed as a spinner in cricket.

There are usually one or two knuckleballers every season I just don't know who they currently are so named Tom as he from my days of watching.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I do know how to Google. I've gathered that it means a pitch where large amounts of turn can be gained.
Cool won't translate for you in the future - but seeing as I am replying to you anyway I will comment that I am not 100% sure of the history of the saying myself. I presume the saying comes about because bunsen burner rhymes with "turner". A Saffer who will have to confirm that as they invented the saying.

Primrose_D12

U19 Cricketer
Tom Candiotti played in 1990s and was a knuckle ball pitcher who threw the ball the same speed as a spinner in cricket.

There are usually one or two knuckleballers every season I just don't know who they currently are so named Tom as he from my days of watching.
Ah, well, I grew up with baseball but I pretty much hate it now. I personally think that cricket is a far superior and more interesting sport, though there are probably at least 300 million Americans out there who would want to lynch me for holding that opinion.

viriya

International Captain
Gotta say the rejig in the Aussie line-up makes a lot of sense.. Steve Smith at 3 and Clarke at 4 so they setup a platform, and then Maxwell, Marsh and Faulkner to go ape**** at the end. Australia finally realized that they have to actually try and can't just jerk around to win the WC this time.

Primrose_D12

U19 Cricketer
Cool won't translate for you in the future - but seeing as I am replying to you anyway I will comment that I am not 100% sure of the history of the saying myself. I presume the saying comes about because bunsen burner rhymes with "turner". A Saffer who will have to confirm that as they invented the saying.
I googled "bunsen cricket" which gave me the link to Glossary of cricket terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where I found this:

viriya

International Captain
Although I'm not convinced that Mitch Marsh is better than Shane Watson.. Can't Watson do a finisher job? Feels wrong to just ditch Australia's greatest ever ODI all-rounder..

Antihippy

International Debutant
Gotta say the rejig in the Aussie line-up makes a lot of sense.. Steve Smith at 3 and Clarke at 4 so they setup a platform, and then Maxwell, Marsh and Faulkner to go ape**** at the end. Australia finally realized that they have to actually try and can't just jerk around to win the WC this time.
Very little room for error though if the top 4 fails to fire.