• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World cup speed stats?

Gob

International Coach
remember the days when brett lee bowled marvelous marvan athapattu with a 99.5 mph nut in a wc semi.good days

jonbrooks

International Debutant
It's been a while since we've had the likes of Lee and Ahktar operating at top speed. We still have the odd bowler threatening 155kph but when was the last time a bowler bowled an entire over above 155kph?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
shaun tait?
Yeah Tait did it against England in 2010 I think. To be fair, even Lee and Akhtar were rarely above 155kph for entire overs at a time. They tended to be more hovering around 150 with the odd effort ball in the high 150's. Though I do still remember with relish the over that Brett Lee bowled to Craig Cumming where he served up three 160kph balls in a row. Cumming brought his bat down about a half hour late on the last and fastest of the three and looked deadset terrified by the end of the over.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Yeah Tait did it against England in 2010 I think. To be fair, even Lee and Akhtar were rarely above 155kph for entire overs at a time. They tended to be more hovering around 150 with the odd effort ball in the high 150's. Though I do still remember with relish the over that Brett Lee bowled to Craig Cumming where he served up three 160kph balls in a row. Cumming brought his bat down about a half hour late on the last and fastest of the three and looked deadset terrified by the end of the over.
Is that the game he got hit in the head?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I remember when he was at his slowest that batsman really seemed to struggle with where he released the ball, I'm sure you've all seen the graphic where it shows it's right in front of the umpire's face. Most batsman had simply never seen anything like it before. I remember the Kiwis jury-rigged a bowling machine so it would come at them from his trajectory and I think the trajectory concern has grown increasingly less of a factor over time.

His variety is what makes him so difficult these days.
Yeah, and we still see this whenever he comes up against an Associate team who haven't played him much before -- they're completely and utterly clueless on how to play him.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wahab Riaz 154.5
Mitchell Starc 153.9
Adam Milne 152.7
Mitchell Johnson 152.4
Pat Cummins 151.4
Stuart Broad 150.3
Morne Morkel 150.0
Dale Steyn 149.8
Umesh Yadav 149.0
Mohammad Irfan 149.0
Jerome Taylor 148.4
Kyle Abbott 148.1
Rubel Hossain 147.7
Chris Jordan 147.4
Iain Wardlaw 147.3
Dushmantha Chameera 147.3
Sohail Khan 147.1
Hamid Hassan 146.9
Dawlat Zadran 146.3
Trent Boult 146.3
Mohammed Shami 145.8
Chris Woakes 145.6
Wayne Parnell 145.6
James Anderson 145.5
Andre Russell 145.5
Rahat Ali 145.3
Steven Finn 145.2

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Broad at 150? Abbott 148? Wardlaw 147?

These all seem a little high, even for maximum speeds. Wardlaw operated in the high 120s for most of the World Cup ffs!

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
What's the fastest wicket taking delivery?

I noticed Gayle bowled Milne was 149kph in the QF.