• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World cup speed stats?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Malinga's speeds have improved a bit through the games or not? I think he might go full steam from the quarters..

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely looked a bit sharper last night, and was landing his yorkers much more consistently. I don't know if he'll get much faster than 140kph though as he hasn't been that sharp for a few years now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Shami bowled his fastest ball, did Dale Steyn bop it over long on for six?

Burgey

Malinga's speeds have improved a bit through the games or not? I think he might go full steam from the quarters..
Malinga looked good last night. I don't actually know that he needs to bowl any faster if he's landing them like that, though of course it would be a good thing for SL supporters if he could crank it up to somewhere near where he used to be.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Malinga looked good last night. I don't actually know that he needs to bowl any faster if he's landing them like that, though of course it would be a good thing for SL supporters if he could crank it up to somewhere near where he used to be.
If Malinga can bang in his yorker at 140kph, with his deceptive slingy action, it would feel more like 155kph to the batsman.

smash84

The Tiger King
His trajectory means some batsman struggle to pick him up which gives them less time to play the ball.
I somehow doubt that a 140 km/h Malinga would feel quicker than a Shoaib or B.Lee at their peak despite some batsmen having difficulty in picking him up occasionally

Athlai

Not Terrible
I somehow doubt that a 140 km/h Malinga would feel quicker than a Shoaib or B.Lee at their peak despite some batsmen having difficulty in picking him up occasionally
Yeah im not trying to quantify the difference but i think the uncertainty it brings is immense.

cnerd123

likes this
A cricket pitch is only 20.12 m long.

155 km/h Is 43 m/s, and 140 km/h is 38.9 m/s

You have 0.467 seconds to react to a ball from a quick with an orthodox action, or 0.517 seconds to react to a ball from Malinga.

Makes sense that they would be equally tricky tbh

Athlai

Not Terrible

You have 0.467 seconds to react to a ball from a quick with an orthodox action, or 0.517 seconds to react to a ball from Malinga.

Malinga has had three "speeds" throughout his career too. Low 130s to 135 when he arrived on the scene 135-144 when he developed and after his prolonged injuries and proper fast prior to the loss of his knees.

I remember when he was at his slowest that batsman really seemed to struggle with where he released the ball, I'm sure you've all seen the graphic where it shows it's right in front of the umpire's face. Most batsman had simply never seen anything like it before. I remember the Kiwis jury-rigged a bowling machine so it would come at them from his trajectory and I think the trajectory concern has grown increasingly less of a factor over time.

His variety is what makes him so difficult these days.

Could have been really something special if his body held out. An express Malinga with all the tricks up his sleeve? Yes please.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Nah the ball speed is instantaneous speed not average speed I.e. It's recorded over the first metre down the pitch, not the length of the pitch.

It has slowed down significantly by the time it's pitched and reached the batsman.

cnerd123

likes this
Simplistic calculations for the purpose of highlighting the minor difference between 155 and 140, thus supporting the claim that Malinga's action makes him feel rather fast because u need a fraction of a second more to pick the ball. Wasn't trying to be precise.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
The speed radar has shown up so infrequently this world cup, it's bloody annoying.

Wish they would sort their **** out.

Daemon

Malinga has had three "speeds" throughout his career too. Low 130s to 135 when he arrived on the scene 135-144 when he developed and after his prolonged injuries and proper fast prior to the loss of his knees.

I remember when he was at his slowest that batsman really seemed to struggle with where he released the ball, I'm sure you've all seen the graphic where it shows it's right in front of the umpire's face. Most batsman had simply never seen anything like it before. I remember the Kiwis jury-rigged a bowling machine so it would come at them from his trajectory and I think the trajectory concern has grown increasingly less of a factor over time.

His variety is what makes him so difficult these days.

Could have been really something special if his body held out. An express Malinga with all the tricks up his sleeve? Yes please.
His slower ball is pretty much impossible to pick out of the hand imo. He's had plenty of success with it too.