• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Likely quarter final match ups

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, actually. He has just been very good v us the two games we have played against England this summer, but okay before that.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa vs Sri Lanka can be very interesting. The two teams haven't met before in a world cup knock out. Something tells me it will be the most interesting quarter final. If SA don't do the classic choke, of course

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, looks like we are going to face the Aussies in the semis, and if we manage to survive that mother****er, one of New Zealand or South Africa in the final. Love it.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
South Africa vs Sri Lanka can be very interesting. The two teams haven't met before in a world cup knock out. Something tells me it will be the most interesting quarter final. If SA don't do the classic choke, of course
My money's firmly on SL here.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My money's firmly on SL here.
Depends who bats first IMO. South Africa look pretty imposing in setting a total, but the fact that both defeats have come while chasing could play on their minds.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Both matches SL has lost so far have been when we've bowled first, and we almost botched the Afghanistan chase too, really important we win tosses and bat first if we are to make our way through the knock-outs

YorksLanka

International Debutant
confident about getting the Proteas, any news on the venue, there have been various messages pointing towards SCG..if so great..

smash84

The Tiger King
Ireland's nrr took a reasonable thumping after the loss to india. They will now have to beat pakistan by a huge margin to get a better nrr than wi and pak.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ireland's nrr took a reasonable thumping after the loss to india. They will now have to beat pakistan by a huge margin to get a better nrr than wi and pak.
They'll be on 4 wins if they beat Pakistan, so NRR won't matter.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Would like to see Pakistan play two spinners against Australia but the problem is,its hard to drop either of the three quicks who are bowling so well right now.Only option is to go bowling heavy but then again the batting has been a letdown the whole tournament.This is where someone like Hafeez will be missed who could've been very useful in this situation.
Hard call to make but i guess Pakistan will stick with the same lineup that defeated SAF.

smash84

The Tiger King
i think they shouldn't tinker too much with this line up. The four pacers are bowling well better let them do their job.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Completely forgot Sohail Khan is in the lineup too.And he's probably the weak link among the bowlers,as in he's easier to negotiate compared to the three left arm pacers .Would be tempted to play Yasir Shah instead of him considering its in Adelaide.
There are some really poor players of spin in that Australian batting lineup.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
that's true.

I don't want pakistan to face Aus in the QFs. They're gonna avenge 2011 and kick butt real bad.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
So the NZ quarter will be either against Pak or WI, right? Because if Ireland win, they will go to third. If they lose then they will be tied on 6 points but their run rate will be less than both Pak and WI.

I was hoping we would play Ire but this is not possible now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Seems almost certain now that the qf matchups will be:
India v Bangerz
South Africa v Sri Lanka
Australia v Pakistan
NZ v WI

I'm somewhat nervous about having WI, as there's always the outside chance that Gayle could go beserk and take the game away from us. But really - on form - NZ should be ashamed if they don't win comfortably, and I'd rather we play WI than Ireland because I don't want us going into a semi-final probably against South Africa without having faced any testing fast bowling in a month.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
After having watched Ireland bowlers I think Pakistan would be disappointed if they lose to them. Will have to play well but they should win.

West Indies would want to bowl first you'd feel if there is significant rain around come game time.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Just do not see Gayle troubling NZ much. He is just past it against quality bowling. Their bowling though can be potent and NZ batting is not their strongest suit. So could be an interesting game if WI bowl well.