• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Likely quarter final match ups

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't. The Australians are less likely to give us an insurmountable amount of runs to chase.
Nah, strongly disagree with that. India aren't that much different a side than the one we beat 4-0 just 12 months ago (admittedly in NZ), and while their batting is awesome against 'okay' bowling, they can easily falter against good swing bowling, which they've shown again & again in the last month or two, not only against Australia, but also England.

And then on top of all that & as admirably as Shami, Yadav & co have bowled, they have nothing on the Australian bowling attack.

Really feel you're overrating India and underrating Aust here, especially in Australian conditions. Aust haven't lost at home for ages, you need to go back to last year when SA one a single game in that series.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah, strongly disagree with that. India aren't that much different a side than the one we beat 4-0 just 12 months ago (admittedly in NZ), and while their batting is awesome against 'okay' bowling, they can easily falter against good swing bowling, which they've shown again & again in the last month or two, not only against Australia, but also England.

And then on top of all that & as admirably as Shami, Yadav & co have bowled, they have nothing on the Australian bowling attack.

Really feel you're overrating India and underrating Aust here, especially in Australian conditions. Aust haven't lost at home for ages, you need to go back to last year when SA one a single game in that series.
I don't think we'll get swing at all at the MCG. Thats why I am concerned.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but how can we trust Australia's atmosphere. The ****s will rob us just out of spite.
Seriously man, I'd be 10 times more comfortable with the prospect of facing India in the final at the "G" than Australia.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Seriously man, I'd be 10 times more comfortable with the prospect of facing India in the final at the "G" than Australia.
I'll always back us to go the extra mile to **** up Australia's day. Not sure if we can bring the same intensity against India.

No real logic behind my thoughts though. Just the gut feel.

Salamuddin

International Debutant

Agree that Australia would be a more formidable opposition in the final but nonetheless if NZ were to meet India in the final at the G, I'd be willing to put money on India.
That 4-0 series last year in NZ was more competitive than the scoreline suggested and I think India are playing better cricket than they were then.
Mohit Sharma has made a pretty big difference to their bowling - I think he is a decidedly more accurate bowler than Ishant Sharma.
Also, India's spinners would be a lot more effective at the G than they would be on a much smaller Kiwi ground. Add to that, the fact that India have been what 3 months now in Oz - NZ haven't played across the ditch yet.

smash84

The Tiger King
Agree that Australia would be a more formidable opposition in the final but nonetheless if NZ were to meet India in the final at the G, I'd be willing to put money on India.
That 4-0 series last year in NZ was more competitive than the scoreline suggested and I think India are playing better cricket than they were then.
Mohit Sharma has made a pretty big difference to their bowling - I think he is a decidedly more accurate bowler than Ishant Sharma.
Also, India's spinners would be a lot more effective at the G than they would be on a much smaller Kiwi ground. Add to that, the fact that India have been what 3 months now in Oz - NZ haven't played across the ditch yet.
Yeah, that injury of Ishant Sharma that sidelined him has made India a much stronger bowling unit. Imagine a team being stronger without their spearhead

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
That 4-0 series last year in NZ was more competitive than the scoreline suggested and I think India are playing better cricket than they were then. .
Yeah this is one point I really agree with, NZ played really well in that series and deserved to win 4-0, but some people act as if India were given thrashings every single game which is incorrect, we were in a position to win at least 3 games (including the one that tied) but couldn't quite cross the line. The slow starts of our openers really screwed us in that series when you take into consideration the margins with which we lost ultimately.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
India vs England/Bangladesh
New Zealand vs West Indies (Ireland/Pakistan)
Australia vs Pakistan/Ireland
South Africa vs Sri Lanka

That's where I think we stand atm, New Zealand has wrapped up top spot in their pool and Aussie/South Africa/India/ Sri Lanka have basically wrapped up their positions as well barring massive upsets.

West Indies can get no higher than 4th spot in Pool B but Ireland and Pakistan can take 3rd or 4th, although unless they tie or get rained out most likely wont be 4th because of NRR.

So basically we have Bangladesh and England playing for 4th in Pool A and Pakistan and Ireland playing for 3rd in Pool B. England will be slight favs but Pakistan will be huge favs in their game.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think we'll get swing at all at the MCG. Thats why I am concerned.
Doesn't the MCG normally use drop-in pitches these days? Should help to conserve swing. And if there's any movement to be had, Soult will find it.

Spark

Global Moderator
it can seam a bit but notable movement and the MCG don't really go together unless it's overcast. otherwise it's one of the most consistently batting-friendly odi decks in the country.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bahnzy the Soult term brings back uncomfortable memories of reading a short story on the fyeahKW that featured distinctly ****** undertones.

I dunno if that's intentional from you or not...