• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

24th Match - Ireland v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnerd123

likes this
I'd rather put up 300 and defend as Ireland. SA haven't been so good with runchases lately, and chasing under lights is never easy.

If they bowl first, they are either gonna be chasing 350+, or be attempting to chase against Steyn, Tahir, and the SA fielding unit.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Feel like I'm missing something here. Ireland should bowl first without even thinking about it, and their best chance of a result is if South Africa do something really stupid like aiming for 400.
SA are too good at setting a total, you have to get them under scoreboard pressure.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah bat first and try to put up a good total then just hope they choke

andmark

International Captain
Feel like I'm missing something here. Ireland should bowl first without even thinking about it, and their best chance of a result is if South Africa do something really stupid like aiming for 400.
But with Ireland's weak bowling attack and SA's superb batting attack, 400 is a genuine possibility. They wouldn't act stupidly given how they've scored 400 twice recently and so know what to do as long as AB is in form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah. While it's possible South Africa will just go ahead, get 400 and bat Ireland out of the game, chasing is definitely Ireland's best hope. South Africa are a much better side than Ireland so any scenario is going to have a heavy risk of losing attached to it, but restricting South Africa to a score of ~300 and then trying to chase it down is definitely much more likely to pay off trying to score ~300 and then defending that.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA are too good at setting a total, you have to get them under scoreboard pressure.
They're only a little bit better when setting a total, and we're about a million times better when chasing.

Generally you need a really good reason not to bowl first in an ODI because that team wins 55%~. The fact that we'd be chasing under lights is something we would need to think about, but in the last D/N at this ground conditions didn't change much.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
That match against the Windies seems to be giving everyone a highly inflated view of Ireland's chasing ability. Chasing high totals against the Windies, Netherlands and the UAE is completely different from doing it against South Africa, the only team to have never lost to an associate side. They aren't successfully chasing 200 against South Africa let alone 300+.

That's especially so considering that matches in Australia have been bat first, score big and win easily via scoreboard pressure games. Only the UAE has lost a game in Australia after batting first in the World Cup. South Africa just failed to chase over 300 two matches ago but apparently it will be easier for Ireland to chase a score of 300 under lights against the SA bowling instead of defending a score of 300 with scoreboard pressure. Sure, that makes sense. Somewhere.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
What makes people think that Ireland are capable of posting a 300 total against this South African bowling attack ? Some heavy overrating going on here.

Though i do agree they need to bat first though.Looking at a win for Ireland here is improbable but what should we be actually looking at is the margin of defeat.A Zimbabwe-esque performance here and they'd be doing alright i reckon.

Midwinter

State Captain
Looking for Ireland to show their improvement by batting out their 50 overs for a reasonable score .Cant see them doing much about the RSA batting.
RSA to win comfortably.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Ireland better off to have South Africa bat first.

This group is likely to come down to NRR, with one out of Ireland, West Indies and Pakistan losing out on NRR.

Batting second gives Ireland the best hope of minimizing NRR deficit -- bat out the whole 50 overs and they can reduce the deficit from a defeat. Batting first increases the chance of South Africa winning quickly, which increases Ireland's potential NRR deficit.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Ireland better off to have South Africa bat first.

This group is likely to come down to NRR, with one out of Ireland, West Indies and Pakistan losing out on NRR.

Batting second gives Ireland the best hope of minimizing NRR deficit -- bat out the whole 50 overs and they can reduce the deficit from a defeat. Batting first increases the chance of South Africa winning quickly, which increases Ireland's potential NRR deficit.
I could go with this and as a neutral I want to see SA have a good bat. Ireland probably have little chance either way so the idea of reducing NRR deficit and the fact that they seem more comfortable chasing makes sense.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What makes people think that Ireland are capable of posting a 300 total against this South African bowling attack ?
I think they're capable. I certainly don't think they're likely to.. they're extremely likely to lose either way! But I think they're more likely to chase 300 after South Africa muddle up setting 350 by targeting 400 than they are to defend 300. They've basically got no hope of winning if they don't score 300 IMO, which is why we're focusing on that number.

viriya

International Captain
I hope the Ireland bowlers have their rape whistles ready.. cos what AB is about to do to them is against the law.