• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heef Channels the Likely Lads (aka NZ vs. Aus replay)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hey at least he was charitable enough to call Kane underrated.
It's Dean Jones he has always snubbed his nose at us since his playing days. He reckoned he was going to belt Hadlee around before he ever faced him and said so in the media "I don't see what all the hype is - it is just a red thing he is bowling".
Hadlee proceeded to then destroy him in the series.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great spell from Vettori under initially difficult circumstances. Got hit a bit in his last over (13 runs) but otherwise parsimonious as ever.

EDIT: Bowling out Vettori and Boult. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us. No sign of Milne yet.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

As a long term fan of Essex and Wellington and long term follower of the Plunket Shield, I believe I have become more well versed than most at the inevitable shrug of the shoulders as the tail end charlies heap on a surprising amount of runs against you. Despite this, at no point before the match or even half an hour ago did I expect to be deploying that self-same shrug and the proverbial bowl of petunias' cry of "Oh no, not again" as Brad ****ing Haddin and Pat Cummins hung around stubbornly to move a chase target on from 'easy' into that 'looks easy, but might be a little bit challenging' territory.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As a long term fan of Essex and Wellington and long term follower of the Plunket Shield, I believe I have become more well versed than most at the inevitable shrug of the shoulders as the tail end charlies heap on a surprising amount of runs against you. Despite this, at no point before the match or even half an hour ago did I expect to be deploying that self-same shrug and the proverbial bowl of petunias' cry of "Oh no, not again" as Brad ****ing Haddin and Pat Cummins hung around stubbornly to move a chase target on from 'easy' into that 'looks easy, but might be a little bit challenging' territory.
What is your score atm

HeathDavisSpeed

Southee hasn't bowled well today. It's reassuring in a way - Australia are 9 down without one of the two main strike weapons having bowled anywhere near as well as he's capable of. Wouldn't mind seeing Southee rested for the next game if he's been carrying a niggle coming into this'un.

HeathDavisSpeed

Milne's little face-picture in the mini scorecard at the bottom of the screen makes him look like Fred Gwynne's Herman Munster.

HeathDavisSpeed

Weak ending from Haddin. Big six off a poor loosener and then a weird shot - not really sure what he was doing there - so pick out fly slip.

151 all out. Should be a NZ win... But, Australia have some excellent bowlers. As I said, Starc should be able to do exactly the same as Boult - Starc is at his best when he's able to get a modicum of movement off a full ball. I don't know so much about Cummins, but obviously Johnson is dangerous. My fear for NZ would be to lose an early wicket or two and expose a middle order who won't have faced bowlers of the calibre of Starc and Johnson in particular. Elliott has effectively been picked out of domestic cricket having been out of the international scene for some time. One thing to score against Sri Lanka's seamers, but a very different prospect to score runs against the Australian quicks.

Hopefully some McCullum fireworks can finish this off quickly.

HeathDavisSpeed

Haha. Perfect start from Johnson. No ball worked off the hip for four followed by a belter of a six off the free hit.

Great to be 11 - 0 off 0.1 overs.

HeathDavisSpeed

McCullum continuing from where he left off in the last match. Taking it to the Aussies and giving Clarke plenty to think about. Guptill just needs to hang around and rotate the strike

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
For those who've never seen the classic British sitcom, Whatever happened to the Likely Lads?, there's a wonderful episode where the two main characters are trying to avoid finding out the score in a football match so they can watch the full replay in the evening

Today, I suffer the same. I've been painting windows all day (from 10am until now) and have missed the cricket thus far (I guess the first innings is over by now, perhaps). I even missed the opportunity to watch the game at the pub with 16Tins. Anyway, I'm avoiding the match thread and anywhere that could inform me of the match situation. Once the replay starts, I'll be posting comments in this thread so that everyone else can point and laugh with the benefit of hindsight.

I'll catch you all later.
I'm totally disappointed noone commented watching his windows dry would've been more interesting than this :ph34r:

HeathDavisSpeed

Ah. The mystery of McCullum's arm has been solved, I think? Hit on the forearm, missing the arm guard. Just wore one from Johnson. Strange. Looked like he deliberately chose to wear it on his arm rather than let it hit him in the hip/rib region.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ah. The mystery of McCullum's arm has been solved, I think? Hit on the forearm, missing the arm guard. Just wore one from Johnson. Strange. Looked like he deliberately chose to wear it on his arm rather than let it hit him in the hip/rib region.
Yeah that's it. Big Ol bump.

HeathDavisSpeed

Ugh. Guptill. Soooo... He scores 10 off the first ball of the innings, then 1 off the next 13 balls. Ugly dismissal too.

Riggins

International Captain
Spoiler alert: I didn't watch the second innings and instead sank 9 beers then went and sent a new course record at the local mini-golf.

HeathDavisSpeed

It hasn't been clear from how I've watched the replay, but I'm guessing NZ had to come out to bat and then have a tea break after ~ 10 overs? Still annoying how much that ****s over the team batting 2nd.