• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better host: Australia or New Zealand?

Who has been the better host?

• Total voters

andmark

International Captain
As it says on the tin; who's been the better of the two host nations in terms of hosting (not on field performance), Australia or New Zealand?

I'd go with New Zealand. I've really enjoyed the small ground feel of the NZ matches. The crowds have been greatly enthusiastic and seem friendly; the matches in NZ have genuinely been enjoyable to watch. Other than India's matches, I've not really enjoyed the Australian crowds, particularly after Eng vs Aus match at the MCG felt a bit flatter than expectations would suggest. So yeah, I'd firmly say New Zealand.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Given the fact NZ hosted the Rugby World Cup as a single host, I don't see why NZ and Australia have to share hosting rights each time.

Especially as the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event in the World only behind the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Given the fact NZ hosted the Rugby World Cup as a single host, I don't see why NZ and Australia have to share hosting rights each time.

Especially as the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event in the World only behind the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.
No it does seem a bit harsh, especially as with the current sharing arrangements you'd think Pakistan and NZ won't get to host a final at any point

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Where are you playing the games that Australia have hosted?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Where are you playing the games that Australia have hosted?
The NZ venues aren't being used that much really to think they couldn't be used for more matches.

There's also grounds like the Basin Reserve, Queenstown Oval, Pukekura Park and others that aren't being used at all.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cobham Oval up in Whangarei is a fantastic ground as well, and Bay Oval at the Mount.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I dont think its the venues that are the issue or our logistical ability to host alone. I think nz just offer such poor viewing hours to the rest of the cricketing watching world.

TNT

Banned
As it says on the tin; who's been the better of the two host nations in terms of hosting (not on field performance), Australia or New Zealand?

I'd go with New Zealand. I've really enjoyed the small ground feel of the NZ matches. The crowds have been greatly enthusiastic and seem friendly; the matches in NZ have genuinely been enjoyable to watch. Other than India's matches, I've not really enjoyed the Australian crowds, particularly after Eng vs Aus match at the MCG felt a bit flatter than expectations would suggest. So yeah, I'd firmly say New Zealand.
Not really getting why you claim NZ are better hosts than Australia, is it simply because you think NZ crowds are more friendly or is there some other reason? have you been to any of the matches?.

_Ed_

I dont think its the venues that are the issue or our logistical ability to host alone. I think nz just offer such poor viewing hours to the rest of the cricketing watching world.
Yeah, exactly.

Zinzan

Impossible to say who's been 'better' IMO. Both have been good from what I've seen.

James

Cricket Web Owner
As an example, wasn't the Rugby World Cup in NZ the most successful tournament to date ?

I realise they're different sports and different match lengths but even so, I think it's a bit lame for that to be the reason to not have NZ as the sole host.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
New Zealand's actually ok, I can catch a couple of hours of the first innings before bed.

West Indies is the ideal for us in the UK.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well they probably don't have to, but if countries share hosting then it goes back around to each country more often. I do think it basically makes sense to split the CWC hosting into continents even if individual countries are quite capable of hosting by themselves.

Antihippy

International Debutant
How do you even define such a thing?

Gotta say though the Ind vs pak, aus vs eng and Ind vs SA wouldn't be as epic without the high capacity crowds.

TNT

Banned
NZ have done a good job and put on some good matches but to degrade the excellent job Australia have done simply by claiming the crowd is not as friendly seems a bit odd. Maybe there is something else at play other than cricket.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Eden Park is capable of that - there'll be more than 40,000 there tomorrow.
Still less than half of what the MCG is capable of though.

I do love the idyllic grounds of NZ though. Would love to watch a match in NZ one day.