• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better host: Australia or New Zealand?

Who has been the better host?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
how many countries compete in the Rugby world cup?

And is rugby quite similar to American football?
Much more dynamic & spontaneous than American Football, with the biggest differences being in Rugby you can't pass the ball forward & of course Rugby players don't wear the protective gear. (Apart from mouthguards & maybe 5% of rugby players wear lite headgear, but nothing like the American helmets).

In terms of numbers of teams...If you look at the world rankings here, World Rugby (click view full rankings) you'll see how many teams.

Admittedly there's quite a gap between the top 6-7 sides and the rest...

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
in rugby, when there's a tackle all the fatter players all come together for a "ruck", eventually the ball comes free and the game continues. Scrums (play restarts in more organised fashion) and rucks are normally won by the attacking team, though the defensive team have a chance of turning the ball over. You have to put the ball down over the try line (an actual touchdown!). and you have no padding.

NZ and Aus are hosting very well.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I dont think its the venues that are the issue or our logistical ability to host alone. I think nz just offer such poor viewing hours to the rest of the cricketing watching world.
They're actually better(time wise) than the matches hosted in Aus when you are watching here in the UK..I have liked the small ground atmosphere from NZ, it just seems a bit more traditional but i suppose the revenue from filling the grounds in Aus is something that the ICC cant trun down..To be fair, they do tend to group countries together i.e the 2011 games in Ind/SL/Ban could easilyhave been hosted by any of them alone too..

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the ticket sales go to the icc. I think the broadcasting revenue is what they get.

I am pretty happy with the games NZ has. A semifinal and a quarter is decent.

NZ has about 5-6 grounds good enough for international cricket and no enough groundsmen to produce enough pitches to host a world cup by ourselves.

Antihippy

International Debutant
BTW there's something I've been wondering for awhile now, but why isn't queenstown part of the rotation?

NZ most beautiful ground honestly.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BTW there's something I've been wondering for awhile now, but why isn't queenstown part of the rotation?

NZ most beautiful ground honestly.
Think that ground was the next cab off the rank after Christchurch (which was always going to play a big part after the earthquake) & Nelson, which is a stunning ground in it's own right.

But yeah, definite case for Queenstown. Could have had something to do with the infrastructure, not entirely sure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pakistan hosted the final in 1996.
Pakistan did host the 1996 world cup final.
Yeah but will they ever host another? Or will Sri Lanka.

Even ignoring security issues. Hard to see the Asia WC Final not always being held in India in the future.

When we get the next one, do Wales/Ireland/Scotland/Netherlands get any games?

Wales almost certainly will given they get Tests actually

andmark

International Captain
Not really getting why you claim NZ are better hosts than Australia, is it simply because you think NZ crowds are more friendly or is there some other reason? have you been to any of the matches?.
I'm judging this from a TV viewer's perspective so obviously I haven't been to any matches. Yeah the NZ crowds have been more friendly and fun- even matches between non- NZ sides. I really haven't felt the same atmosphere coming from the Australian crowds on he other hand.

TNT

Banned
I'm judging this from a TV viewer's perspective so obviously I haven't been to any matches. Yeah the NZ crowds have been more friendly and fun- even matches between non- NZ sides. I really haven't felt the same atmosphere coming from the Australian crowds on he other hand.
So its nothing to do with the hosting of the cricket matches just which crowds seem more friendly on TV.

andmark

International Captain
So its nothing to do with the hosting of the cricket matches just which crowds seem more friendly on TV.
The people at the grounds- lots of whom will be locals. And so yes, the host nations- in this case their people's fun-ness. I can sense a feeling that you think "you can't judge because you're not there" coming from you. At the same time, I won't judge Joel Garner's bowling because I wasn't there. Clearly people who watch on tv are going to not get the full picture, but they deserve an opinion on the picture they do get.

If you want perspectives on the logistics, stadiums etc being judged, see the first few pages of the thread.

TNT

Banned
The people at the grounds- lots of whom will be locals. And so yes, the host nations- in this case their people's fun-ness. I can sense a feeling that you think "you can't judge because you're not there" coming from you. At the same time, I won't judge Joel Garner's bowling because I wasn't there. Clearly people who watch on tv are going to not get the full picture, but they deserve an opinion on the picture they do get.

If you want perspectives on the logistics, stadiums etc being judged, see the first few pages of the thread.
Well I'm not going to argue with you because what I have judged from the commentators NZ folk are pretty simple.:)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I'm not going to argue with you because what I have judged from the commentators NZ folk are pretty simple.:)
You should take advantage of the free immigration agreement and exploit that. You'll make millions. Make sure you post about it on CW; I look forward to it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Given the fact NZ hosted the Rugby World Cup as a single host, I don't see why NZ and Australia have to share hosting rights each time.

Especially as the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event in the World only behind the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.
Do you mean teams or what?

Cricket world cup is way bigger than the Rugby world cup.

And come on. Claiming that NZ are doing a better Job because of the 'small Ground feel' or apparantly really friendly fans as witnessed through the TV is crap. Seems pretty even for mine. I like the contrast between the Grounds.

Antihippy

International Debutant
To be fair if you judge Australia by its cricket commentators you'd think every Australian dropped out of high school and spends all day snorting cocaine.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair if you judge Australia by its cricket commentators you'd think every Australian dropped out of high school and spends all day snorting cocaine.
Well they wouldnt have much of an idea because cocaine is extemely expensive so that would be quite impressive.