• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are UAE players citizens?

cnerd123

likes this
No such thing as citizenship.

You can't naturalise as a 'local' like you can in other countries. You are forever living on a visa. Study visa, work visa, dependent visa.

The only 'locals' are the Emiratis, who account for >30% of the total UAE population and who hate cricket ever since Allan Donald hit that Sheikh on the head with the bouncer.

Fun Fact - you can't even become a local if you marry an Emirati. You need the local blood. Your kid would be a local, not you.

Xuhaib

International Coach
No, but a decent world cup showing might get them one have met Khurram Khan couple of times decent chap very humble one of his club mates told me that through his 20's he tried hard to break into Pakistan FC cricket but could never get a go as coaches played their favourites above him.

Xuhaib

International Coach

You can't naturalise as a 'local' like you can in other countries. You are forever living on a visa. Study visa, work visa, dependent visa.

The only 'locals' are the Emiratis, who account for >30% of the total UAE population and who hate cricket ever since Allan Donald hit that Sheikh on the head with the bouncer.

Fun Fact - you can't even become a local if you marry an Emirati. You need the local blood. Your kid would be a local, not you.
they are giving decent coverage to the team in the local press thats why I have a feeling there could so some real rewards for these boys if they give a strong showing.

cnerd123

likes this
They always cover cricket very well in the local press as far as I remember. Local and International stuff. It's how I got into the sport growing up.

But yea, a good showing here might get them a meet-and-greet with the Sheikhs and some sort of token award to acknowledge their efforts; which would be nice.

Yes, I had some idea about these Arab countries that they don't give nationality to any non-Arab but I find it funny that people from other countries get to represent UAE on work visa. Either they should change their idiotic laws or bring Arabs to play cricket. Not anything against those who're playing for UAE, just a thought.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah not feasible. Not a big issue anyways. UAE's cricket community is very strong and home-grown; they don't have as many 'imports' as people think they do, they actually have a lot of people who have learnt and developed their game in the UAE leagues. Their youth cricket is strong too.

Unfortunately it all lacks professionalism, so there is lots of talk about biased selectors and politics and nepotism in the leagues. Which isn't that surprising considering UAE cricket is run by people who grew up in the same culture as those who now run Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Isn't it actually illegal for an Emirati woman to marry a Christian or something? I think an Emirati man can marry a Christian. And even if a woman married a man within Islam but was of a foreign nationality, their children would not be Emirati citizens (while if the man as emirati and the woman wasn't, they would be)?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Isn't it actually illegal for an Emirati woman to marry a Christian or something? I think an Emirati man can marry a Christian. And even if a woman married a man within Islam but was of a foreign nationality, their children would not be Emirati citizens (while if the man as emirati and the woman wasn't, they would be)?
Huh; quite possibly actually.

CBF googling it but I'm sure the answer is out there on the interwebs somewhere.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Because by virtue of hosting the ICC headquarters, the UAE are the home of cricket #****tyconspiracytheories

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
isn't it practically illegal to be christian?

edit: nope, but open athiesm is punishable by death.