• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are UAE players citizens?

smash84

The Tiger King
Yea I realize that. It's not practical and it wouldn't change much. How people are treated in the UAE - especially immigrant construction workers - just leaves a tremendously bad taste in my mouth.
haha, yeah no way in hell they are going to change citizenship laws due to just cricket or anything.

Actually the only way they might change the citizenship laws is if they were to run out of oil. I am not sure how much its true but before the oil boom apparently it wasn't too hard to get citizenship if somebody really wanted it. But back then who the **** would want a UAE citizenship?

The citizenship now is pretty lucrative apparently. You get a good comfy and easy life. Apparently they have a ridiculous amount of cash grant if you complete a PhD (something like 70K USDs) after you are awarded your degree and a plush job to go along with housing and stuff. At least this was what I got to hear when I was there. Not sure if it was true. But with ridiculous amounts of money to throw (see below) then who knows?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/dubai-gold-weight-loss-article-1.1402404

smash84

The Tiger King
Not an opinion but a fact for the uninitiated.
Atheism and any other religion apart form Islam is ILLEGAL in SAUDI ARABIA. Not the UAE.
Anyway as someone else said, well over 50% of the population of the UAE are from elsewhere, not indigenous to the UAE. Guess when you have a big population from the sub-continent where the game is so big that helps.
Isn't the expat population in the UAE close to 70%?

United Arab Emirates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

close to 85% are non-emiratis apparently

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah along those lines I think. In another fact it is estimated that more than 2 out of 3 people are males and the population density is more than 100 people per km2. Before 1980 it was less than 10.
I wonder how much of those 1/3rd female population is hookers. Apparently the ratio seemed to be even worse earlier and in order to control the male population the govt decided to turn a blind eye to *** workers (coming from all corners of the globe).

100 people per sq km2 sounds a lot. It might be like that in the older parts of dubai for sure like Deira and all but the newer parts probably aren't that dense (or maybe they are because of the high rise?)

cnerd123

likes this
Yea smali is right; they tightened the laws when they found Oil and the whole world started moving in to do business. Before that it was only other Arabs who would probably get UAE citizenship.

As it is now, you cannot own a business in UAE without a local partner. So pretty much all the expats in the UAE who run business have to pay a local (usually monthly/per signature) to get them to sign off on their papers as a partner, so that they can legally run a business.

All multinationals and big corporations need a fixed % of locals on their payroll. So again they pay locals to sign off as being an employee, even if they don't show up to work a day in their lives.

All the government companies - utilities, telecom, construction, real estate, and a few others - have locals as CEOs and upper management by law.

It's a credit to the fine leadership of the Sheikhs of UAE that they have managed to develop the country so well in such a short amount of time, and that despite all these perks the number of spoiled, rich, under accomplishing Arabs is actually quite low. Sure having tons of Oil Money helps, but they still have to use it wisely, and plan well, and they generally have done a great job at that.

Also the labour laws were bad. The thing is, as a labourer, your visa needs to be tied to a company. Many of the subcontinental people who came over to work as labourers were lied to by the people who brought them over. They paid for a visa and gave in their passports expecting office jobs or working as domestic helpers - they were then forced to work as labourers with their passports in the hands of the company that brought them over. Sure the laws were poor and lax from UAE, but the government wasn't the one bringing these workers in on false promises and fake visas. They took a long time to crack down on it - the cheap labour was essential to their growth and economy, so that's pretty poor from them. And when people were caught working on fake/expried visa, they were imprisoned/deported.

But they eventually fixed the laws, and anyone found to be bringing people over on fake visas were threatened with harsher punishments than those who were caught on fake visas themselves.

Atleast, this is all i recall from my time there. I have done literally 0 research, just recapping all the conversations the grown ups would have and what I read in the magazines and newspapers.

Even without being a citizen, life in UAE is quite nice. It is a lot more liberal than most of the Middle East. You have a greater amount of freedom when it comes to press, you have Churches and Temples, you can purchase and consume alcohol and pork, and women have pretty much the same rights as men. It's why the expats all flock to there. You also have a thriving subcontinental culture - food, festivals, bollywood movies in all the cinemas, several Indian and Pakistani radio stations, and even stuff like cricket. It's called 'Filter India' or 'Filter Pakistan' by the people who live there. Even TV networks like Zee and Star have custom channels to suit the UAE timings and audience.

It's more restricted than living in a proper liberal society, but it's pretty nice. And by all accounts I've heard its wayyy better than living in Pakistan apparently.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's more restricted than living in a proper liberal society, but it's pretty nice. And by all accounts I've heard its wayyy better than living in Pakistan apparently.
**** you :laugh:

By all accounts its apparently wayyy better than living in India too :p

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Not an opinion but a fact for the uninitiated.
Atheism and any other religion apart form Islam is ILLEGAL in SAUDI ARABIA. Not the UAE.
Anyway as someone else said, well over 50% of the population of the UAE are from elsewhere, not indigenous to the UAE. Guess when you have a big population from the sub-continent where the game is so big that helps.
My mistake.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Both are different topics.

Regarding the topic at hand, you do not want a player who has stayed just 2 months or 6 months say playing for UAE. A few criterias should be there. Maybe a person. Should have stayed in a particular country for at least 50% of last 5/10/15 or 20 years, say, if they are not a citizen.
Which is why the eligibility rules are pretty much along those lines.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I totally do not understand that logic. IMO if you want a person to represent your country in a global forum regardless of whether the forum is sports or something more intellectual and you are still not willing to grant him citizenship, it is pretty screwed up.