• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20th Match - New Zealand v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's actually often not as high scoring as a ground like Hamilton or Napier. The ball often does a bit more in the air.
As Finch said in the article though, the bowlers are likely to want to go short rather than a fuller length to protect the short straight boundaries.........which will negate any swing on offer.

But that said I'll bow to you local guys knowledge who would have seen a lot more cricket there than me (or Finch).

Flem274*

123/5
As Finch said in the article though, the bowlers are likely to want to go short rather than a fuller length to protect the short straight boundaries.........which will negate any swing on offer.

But that said I'll bow to you local guys knowledge who would have seen a lot more cricket there than me (or Finch).
Yeah in Auckland with the new ball you want to get full and take advantage of the swing, which is usually quite prodigious. The desire of the batsmen to hit straight magnifies its effectiveness.

After the swing you generally want to stay one step ahead of the batsman rather than go short because the square boundaries are no better...

I can't wait until they upgrade Western Springs so we can move cricket away from Eden Park. It's ok for World Cup games but in ODIs and especially tests it's empty half the time and it has crappy boundaries. New Zealand captains usually get an advantage from the weird dimensions though because they know how to set fields in rugby grounds.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rain forecasted all week according to MetService and Saturday there isn't even a sun peeking out from the clouds graphic, just rain. It is too far away to be very accurate thankfully.
It's improved. :)

Hopefully the outlook will continue to get better and better.

_Ed_

Yeah, I can't help but worry about that too. It's happened before at Eden Park...
2nd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Feb 19, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
3rd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Feb 26, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
1st ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Dec 3, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

But all three of those were with me in attendance, and I'll be at work on Saturday. So we won't have that to worry about this time.

Can't say that about the semi-final. :ph34r:

Zinzan

Holy crap, I knew Eden Park was a small ground but I had no idea the straight boundaries were so short.

55m is a bit of a joke isn't it?? I've played backyard games that require bigger hits.

Shorter straights could negate swing - Finch | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Edit:

What sort of scores do you normally see there?
Wouldn't be surprised to see a double hundred in this game from one bat. Baz or Warner might do it if someone is going to do it. That or a Maxwell 100.
Jesus I knew boundaries in NZ were small but even I could clear that with my twig like arms.

It's going to be a run fest for Finch and Guptill
Lol @ people carrying on like the small boundaries at Eden Park are something new...They're not!

More ODIs (68) have been played there than any other NZ ground & there's only been 6 scores of more than 300, so small boundaries or not, it doesn't have a history of ridiculous scores at all. So talk of scores of 400 & about players getting double ton just shows ignorance.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol @ people carrying on like the small boundaries at Eden Park are something new...They're not!

More ODIs (68) have been played there than any other NZ ground & there's only been 6 scores of more than 300, so small boundaries or not, it doesn't have a history of ridiculous scores at all. So talk of scores of 400 & about players getting double ton just shows ignorance.
No one said they were new though.

No harm in speculating what will happen, it's not unreasonable to suspect some players will enjoy the boundaries more than others. Shave some of the edge off buddy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There's no reason to suspect that Southee and Boult will have any hesitation in pitching the ball up in the early overs. The fielders are required to stay inside the circle in the first 10 overs anyway, so the incentive to go down the ground is pretty much the same anyway. The difference comes in during the death overs when the ball won't really be swinging. At that point - yes the bowlers will have a greater incentive to avoid fuller lengths.

Shri

Mr. Glass

I am serious. If Rohit Sharma lasts till the swing is gone in this ground, he WILL get a massive score(if he plays a game here that is). Smaller than Indian boundaries ffs.:p

Same goes for any other top class batsman.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I am serious. If Rohit Sharma lasts till the swing is gone in this ground, he WILL get a massive score(if he plays a game here that is). Smaller than Indian boundaries ffs.:p

Eden Park is a good scoring ground but the conditions rarely let you score quite that quickly. The beauty of it is that the ground suits icing all the way. If your top order can keep wickets against any early swing, then you could back your icing to score pretty much anything in the last 20.

The straight boundaries being short is also so gun for my inner Guptill fan boy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Massive scores in ODIs (120+) depend upon crap bowling throughout the innings.

I just can't see Daniel Vettori going at 6 an over during the middle overs, even on small boundaries.

Burgey

I wonder what Brad McNamara thinks will happen in this game? I am interested in finding out Brad McNamara's opinion on Eden Park in particular. #BradMcNamara.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Massive scores in ODIs (120+) depend upon crap bowling throughout the innings.

I just can't see Daniel Vettori going at 6 an over during the middle overs, even on small boundaries.
I reckon if you get to 120 with 10 overs to go in Auckland you'd be on for a double if everything went your way. Could definitely happen but the new ball is potent enough to make it super unlikely.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's gonna be interesting. I think sometimes batsmen can get too preoccupied when they have a short boundary and try and manufacture shots looking for it. Considering the square boundaries aren't long by any means this can be a mistake.

For that reason you'd think this may favour NZ who have played a lot on the ground and "shouldn't" get sucked in. Their bowlers are also more likely not to be scared to pitch it up in the early overs.

That said any of Warner, Finch and McCullum are capable of ****ing up the best of theories.

Athlai

Not Terrible
55/45 to NZ

Home advantage gives us the boost. In Australia the difference would be a bit wider in their favour though.

Flem274*

123/5
Hooping swing ensures Rohit is about a 1% of a double if he ever plays at Eden Park.

It's a ground for guys who are strong square if the bowlers get spooked by the straight boundary. England's slower ball bouncer tactic for example would ensure a TPC or Corey Anderson big hundred.

_Ed_

I honestly don't know what to expect in this game - it's just been so long since we last played them, and both sides have changed so much.