• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

16th Match - Ireland v United Arab Emirates

Who will win this match?

• United Arab Emirates

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

indiaholic

International Captain
I suppose it's not really that different from those of us who thought UAE winning and making it hard for Ireland to qualify would've spoiled the party tbf.
Nope. This Pakistan team doesn't deserve to go through considering how **** they are in spite of enjoying all the privileges of being a Test playing nation. Ireland on the other hand are everything that is good and just and beautiful in this world.

anil1405

International Captain
Ireland's batting depth was put to test today and the've scrapped through for a good win.

Looking forward to the Ireland v Zimbabwe game as this will decide who wins the 'worst bowling unit' award in this tournament.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, it was a close match and a good match from a cricketing perspective but from Ireland's POV, this means their NRR isn't that high (and will get lower if/when they lose). They probably need two more wins now - which is going to be very difficult.
Pakistan's loss to the WI being by a huge margin helps on this front though.
Even so I think it'll be difficult for us to qualify ahead of a test nation on NRR. If you'd asked me before the match I'd definitely have taken the narrow win.

Beat Zimbabwe and I think we've got a great chance. It gives us a lot of options to qualify- we could beat one of India, SA or Pakistan; one of our games could be rained off; Pakistan could lose to UAE or Zimbabwe; we could go through on NRR; one of the other test nations could completely bomb in the remainder of their games. None of these things are likely, some are extremely unlikely, but we only really need one of them to come off and that puts us in a nice position. But the important thing is to beat Zimbabwe.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Ireland needed a big win today even considering that Pakistan lost heavily against WI. Ireland now will hope for a big win against Zimbabwe to shield them from any shocks against India, SA or Pakistan. Interesting dynamics in the group, I hope one of Ireland and Zimbabwe qualify eventually.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yep & by a distance too.

Pleased as punch seeing the Irish get up for their prospects of a quarter. Ideally vs. NZ.
I love how this result makes the Aus vs NZ match that much more meaningful. This is how a tournament should play out - matches in one group having a bearing on the other.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
I hope Javed was man of the match, he made that match hands down. If it wasn't for his batting, bowling and fielding this game would have been a nothing.

On a different day he would have had 7-33. His team mates were absolutely appalling in the field.

Ireland had every little bit of luck go their way. If you look at khurrum khans lbw and the lbw that Javed got at the end everyone can clearly see which one was more "out".

Javed clipped Joyces wicket and the bail fell back on. Had two catches dropped off his bowling one being kob who smacked another 30 off 12 balls. Had Wilson pretty much plumb and got turned down. Had about 100 misfields off his bowling. He didn't deserve to lose, he's probably my new favourite associate player. Have to rate it as one of the best performances in a world cup in a losing cause.

Not to mention his world cup record 7th wicket partnership and screamer of a catch.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finally! We've been waiting a while for a game like that in this World Cup, but it was worth the wait. Brilliant, and I was really happy to see Ireland get up and keep their QF hopes alive.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who needs close exciting matches from teams we don't see much of, we need to see Australia belt England for the 150th time in the last 3 months.

Midwinter

State Captain
According to ICC general manager Dave Richardson, the 2019 world cup must be played between evenly matched teams, so presumably the UAE and Ireland have already qualified. Unless there's some other motive.
Did he ?

NZ vs Eng
WI v Pak
Ind v SA

Tell me again how close those games were :)

Perhaps he meant to say "evenly matched potential advertising audiences"

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Everyone must thank the Irish bowlers for making this a close contest.

Ireland are unlikely to make it to the next round with this bowling line-up and if they manage to then its just the icing that is needed for their opponents, Ireland will donate the cake to them.
no no no this isn't how you do it ffs