• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

14th Match - England v Scotland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Moeen Ali on song is a really very classy player to watch.Much like Rohit Sharma.
He's a lovely stroke-player when on song, just a few questions to answer around his ability against the better bowling attacks.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Came in here to read the fans reactions, must be some relieved English supporters.
Always expected us to win but beating a minnow means nothing. Have to beat Sri Lanka now as the point Bangladesh got off the crims might be vital. Do that and we should qualify for the quarters, won't meet either of the top 2 sides in the competition till a semi so may fluke a knockout win before being thrashed. Unlikely but not impossible.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangladesh's point will only matter if they can actually beat Sri Lanka, England or New Zealand. Not impossible I suppose, but you'd think they'd probably qualify if they did that regardless of the point. At this stage I'm willing to call that point the most over-rated thing at the World Cup, slightly ahead of Mohammad Irfan.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England's batting innings was all that has been wrong with the England ODI team for as long as I can remember.

Bell's knock was terrible. It was like he'd taken everything good he got from the tri series and ignored it. No intent or positivety. Stuck in the crease. No acceleration through an innings. Is this how he'll play the game against SL or in a QF? This was classic Ian Bell.

One day batting is about reading the situation constantly. Every over the batsmen (and team) should be assessing the position the team is in. I can see why at the start they are nervous. Once they get to 80-0 or 100-0 they need to be readjusting their targets. 'We got a good start; the conditions are decent; the opposition bowlers are county second xi standard; we have plenty of batsmen in the shed'. Bell should have enough experience to realise that a gradual acceleration is needed. You need to take the situation as you are now in into account rather than some preconceived idea about how to play the situation. Clearly if you are 50-3 as opposed to 80-0 there is a need to play differently. Constant assessment and re-assessment. The first 10 or 15 overs they did well. After that it was woeful.

The way Bell batted against Haq was poor and against his natural game. Come down the wicket a couple of times and he'll soon drop it short and allow you to pull it over midwicket. Instead he seemed content to just knock singles into the legside.

Ali should take no blame. His innings was good. Whilst the opposition were poor this innings suggests an improving game. Anyone who has seen Moeen bat for Worcestershire will know he has the shots to play but will give it away too often playing too many shots. This innings was about controlled aggression. He didn't get to 80 and start trying to hit every ball to the boundary. People will say the innings was only against Scotland (and that's right) but I doubt he'd have been able to play this ODI knock even a year ago.

They probably should have taken the powerplay earlier. Once they are 0 down after 25 they have a real chance of putting the game out of sight. Instead they leave it until the point where they have to take it.

Ballance coming in at 3 just showed the lack of ability to change plans. In the situation it would have been ideal to bring in any of the other top 7 (Root, Taylor, Morgan, Buttler) but they stuck with the initial plan. TBF to Ballance he tried to be positive he just didn't have it.

Middle order seemingly unable to even hit county second xi cricketers to the boundary regularly and take a solid foundation and put up a good score.

(Davey doesn't look much but after the new ball spell I thought he did well and moved the ball around consistently with some subtle variations.)

If you can't get the tactics of batting and innings management right against poor teams how are you going to apply good game management against the better teams where every decision you take will be important. Messing up small decisions in this game aren't going to matter. Making bad decisions against good teams is going to make tough matches into impossible matches.

Gradual acceleration without losing wickets is ftw. Keep ticking over the overs, keeping wickets in hand and gradually increasing the pace of your innings. I'd get Ganguly or someone in from India to help England understand ODI batting.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bangladesh's point will only matter if they can actually beat Sri Lanka, England or New Zealand. Not impossible I suppose, but you'd think they'd probably qualify if they did that regardless of the point. At this stage I'm willing to call that point the most over-rated thing at the World Cup, slightly ahead of Mohammad Irfan.
It'll matter a lot if any more games get rained off.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's broadly true, but if more games get rained out then it could be important.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
So that Haq guy despite his very slow balls picked up 1/51. Hate to think how England batsman will take on Shakib, Taijul and/or Sunny on Adelaide pitch.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
So that Haq guy despite his very slow balls picked up 1/51. Hate to think how England batsman will take on Shakib, Taijul and/or Sunny on Adelaide pitch.

I think they'd be fine because they're more orthodox spinners, Haq is a very unusual bowler so it's not surprising that England's batsmen weren't totally comfortable against him. Having said that 1/51 hardly qualifies as a struggle.

also who the **** is Taijul

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Majid can bowl quicker when he wants to; he does that deliberately when he thinks the batsmen are reluctant to use their feet to him. He'll probably get a crack at Smith and Clarke later in the tournament; you'll see him change his style a bit then.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
The match was good for some English players to (Ali & Finn) to be in contention for overall tournament individual honors. Josh Davey also up among the wicket takers.