• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

14th Match - England v Scotland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As has been well documented I am not a fan of minnows in this World Cup, but given the way England have played they are ripe for the taking really, hoping England can somehow get past them otherwise it will be a sad state of affairs
And this is exactly why your thinking on this issue is totally messed up. There are too many teams that you consider "more worthy" of participation in the WC that are in fact quite capable of been taken down by the associates because they are rubbish themselves.

Edit:

And it's not just England, West Indies and Pakistan are in the same boat.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As has been well documented I am not a fan of minnows in this World Cup, but given the way England have played they are ripe for the taking really, hoping England can somehow get past them otherwise it will be a sad state of affairs
Go **** yourself, honestly.

andmark

International Captain
I don't mean to be cliched, but the World Cup really should be a world thing rather than just a collection of the top sides- who play each other anyway. If minnows aren't allowed to play in the World Cup, then it would mean that no other countries (maybe except Ireland at the moment) would become great cricketing countries because a potential cricketer from, say, Scotland isn't going to be motivated by the thought of beating the UAE. I realise that you may say that a cricketer would be motivated by the thought of getting their country to greater heights, but for every one person that happens with, ten are going to be unmotivated.

cnerd123

likes this
I still don't why it would be sad if England lost to Scotland. It's sad if a weaker team loses to a stronger one?

Ireland thoroughly deserved to beat WI, they were better in every single aspect. How is that 'sad'? Just because on has a rich cricketing legacy and the other doesn't? You can't be happy for new nations being competitive and winning games? Do you think they have no place in cricket, and that only the Top 10 have any right to play and win cricket matches? Why do you not want people from other parts of the world to take pleasure in the same hobby that you love so much?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just ignore him FFS. He gets off on having the same argument in every thread. It literally is just one person saying it here and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even completely buy what he was selling himself.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just ignore him FFS. He gets off on having the same argument in every thread. It literally is just one person saying it here and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even completely buy what he was selling himself.
If only this forum had people who could put a stop to his nonsensical trolling

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just ban him for trolling ffs.

andmark

International Captain
I think there's a risk of over stating England's bad play. They were always going to lose against Aus and NZ, and Southee's bowling was also incredible. The scale of the losses were of course bad along with the general ineptitude of English odi play for the past few months (or more), but I'm not sure they've been bad enough to seriously believe Scotland will beat them.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
In a strange way, England's woeful form makes them more dangerous v a minnow like Scotland. Often when Test playing teams play minnow they eye up such encounters as an opportunity not just to earn points but to massive boost their net run rate, New Zealand did so against Scotland but lost 7 wickets in the process, Sri Lanka were also very positive against Afghanistan and were reduced to 50 odd for 4 before coming through.

In England's case they are so short on confidence they can't afford to pre plan boosting their net run rate as they are do desperate for a winning of any description even against a minnow so I think this will make then play in a very focused way and we won't see cheap wickets like we did when New Zealand played Scotland.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I love the way Michael Vaughn is going on about England meeting India in the quarter finals on his twitter, they might well in the end but I'd laugh so hard if England get knocked out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still don't why it would be sad if England lost to Scotland. It's sad if a weaker team loses to a stronger one?

Ireland thoroughly deserved to beat WI, they were better in every single aspect. How is that 'sad'? Just because on has a rich cricketing legacy and the other doesn't? You can't be happy for new nations being competitive and winning games? Do you think they have no place in cricket, and that only the Top 10 have any right to play and win cricket matches? Why do you not want people from other parts of the world to take pleasure in the same hobby that you love so much?
To be fair to Bleed Blue, I feel the same way when blow-in newbie sides like India and SL win a game.

Last edited: