• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever Bowling in a WC Game

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I was going to mention something about minnows, but lets be honest if we discount performances against Namibia we probably should for England too.

WAG performance though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might have to think about it more objectively, but off the top of my head, I can't remember a spell this spectacular. Made the English batsmen look like complete mugs.

Debris

International 12th Man
Andy Bichel, 7 for 20 vs England in 2003 World Cup. England a slightly better side back then.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I personally don't think I've seen better in any ODI game live. The quality of the overall spell by the likes of Bond, McGrath etc. was more consistent but Southee bowled an unreal amount of jaffas for an ODI games, haven't seen anything like it.

Garner's 5-fer in the 1979 world cup final is definitely better though. England were 183-2 chasing 286 when Garner bowled 11 balls and ended up with 5 wickets for 4 runs, four of them bowled. England were bowled out for 194.

Gilmour's 6-14 in the 1975 WC semi-final to rout England for 94 also belongs in the discussion.

Athlai

Not Terrible
For those who missed it.

That wasn't even necessarily the biggest either, I wasn't quick enough to capture the Moeen delivery graphic.

Was absolutely crazy. Boult and Anderson barely got any movement at all too.

morgieb

Still think Bichel's better. Single-handedly won us that game, he and Bevan were the only two not neutered by that pitch.

Daemon

Where can I watch a full replay of his overs or at least highlights of the match?

Howsie

International Captain
As Teja said, the amount of jaffas Southee bowled today was just unreal. I've never seen anything like it, especially in a one day game. I doubt we will see anything like that for a long, long time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
96 was a steeper task to a degree but I would say 99. I loved the 99 one. Warne some how bowled so well in England. The conditions meanmeant drift for him which he exploited like the master that he was.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As a Kiwi I actually think this was better as it was against an ATG ODI batting lineup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZz2rImpk1c

5th Super: Australia v New Zealand at Port Elizabeth, Mar 11, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
It is still gutting that we lost that game. If NZ had gpne to Kenya (or someone else had performed in that game) we could have even won the WC - but we didn't even make the semis!

Looking at the scorecard I see Cairns played as a batsman only and Vettori opened
I never saw that game but have read plenty about it. Several ex players are quite bitter to this day that we tinkered with the batting order and opened with Dan.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I personally don't think I've seen better in any ODI game live. The quality of the overall spell by the likes of Bond, McGrath etc. was more consistent but Southee bowled an unreal amount of jaffas for an ODI games, haven't seen anything like it.

Garner's 5-fer in the 1979 world cup final is definitely better though. England were 183-2 chasing 286 when Garner bowled 11 balls and ended up with 5 wickets for 4 runs, four of them bowled. England were bowled out for 194.

Gilmour's 6-14 in the 1975 WC semi-final to rout England for 94 also belongs in the discussion.
Some of Waqar old ball spells between 90-95 were unreal but yeah for a world cup this has to be upthere. Possibly could be the best ever white ball spell in an odi.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Bond v Aus 2003 still the best for me. Ripped through a great batting lineup with jaffas

Teja.

Global Moderator
Some of Waqar old ball spells between 90-95 were unreal but yeah for a world cup this has to be upthere. Possibly could be the best ever white ball spell in an odi.
Really sad that Waqar missed out on '92 WC due to inury when he was the best fast bowler in the world and then 95-00, there was dire politics going on between Wasim and Waqar which didn't allow them to form a formidable pair that they should have especially considering Saqlain was ridiculous in the period as well.