• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Match - Ireland v West Indies

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
When you're looking for a nervy upset, that sort of run-out would make you really beliieeeeeeeeeve

Flem274*

123/5
Rotate the strike ffs. They're getting away with it for now because Ireland keep offering up gimmes but this is very block bash and will hurt against other teams.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we included a drink every time the commentators mentioned Ireland's "gentle/crafty/only/just medium pace" in the game we'd be in serious trouble.

No surprises the main culprits are the English.

Yessss piss off Smith.
Add "Military medium" and "canny" to the list there.

Flem274*

123/5
Samuels always looks like he's about to get out then he works the ball away or hits a glorious boundary.

Seriously I thought he was going to get beaten through the gate a few balls ago but he worked it away.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
We are awful. End of discussion. We've literally got to the stage where we're playing this Ireland team and I think we have a 40% chance of losing at least. Look at the two lineups and there is simply no way in hell that should be the case. But it is. I bet Ireland field like tigers and generally give 100%.

I'm not even following this match properly because I'm so fed up with it all. Just occasionally looking on cricinfo and this thread. They haven't done anything post SA tour to win back my support so why should I lose sleep over them?

Far happier following the young batsmen in our FC competition and the other matches. Hopefully when I check the score in the morning someone will have done something at least worthy of the West Indies brand.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've never understood the phrase "military medium". Unless he's in the army how does it work?
Military medium is a term for no-nonsense medium pace bowling that is fairly accurate.
You don't really call a club cricketer who sprays it at 120 "military medium".

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Can't believe he hasn't got a helmet on,what a numpty..its not the obvious ones that hurt people its those blows you don't expect and therefore can't often avoid..

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've never understood the phrase "military medium". Unless he's in the army how does it work?
It's because the British army used to interrogate suspects by bowling cricket balls at their bare arse, but since none of them were professional cricketers they could only get it up to 120 k's. Medium-pace bowling has hence been associated with the military.