• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnows upsets against Test countries.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm more afraid of Afghanistan than Bangladesh. The latters small army of finger spinners and batsmen has always wilted in New Zealand, but Afghanistan have a bit of a pace attack going for them and if the stars align...

Gotta admit though it would be so great if Afghanistan had a Sri Lanka moment and won the whole thing.

brockley

International Captain
Ireland have declined,Afghanistan is the new force,Ireland an aging side with inexperienced bowlers,but they will upset Zimbabwe for sure.(who have an oddly put together squad).I rate Afghanistan above Bangladesh,Afghanistans' bowling will go good on bouncy pitches and swing.Bangladesh heavily rely on spin.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if Afghanistan play Bangladesh but if they do they're favourites in NZ conditions.

brockley

International Captain
Yes they play them,and i expect Afghanistan to have improved a lot since we last played them.( and we play them).Bangladesh reliant on Mortaza and Taskin as bowlers,1 of the bowlers had 2 recast his action and has struggled the other 1 on rape charges,is a lot more inconsistent.Their 15th player can bowl mediums but occassionaly,i expect Bangladesh to play 3 spinners.But that said Bangladesh's squad is decent and not as bad as Zimbabwe's who have recalled 3/4 players who have not played for Zimbabwe in a long time.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I think Ireland to beat Zimbabwe in Hobart is the biggest chance.

Zimbabwe are a minnow as well.

Think Pakistan may struggle a little against Ireland and Zimbabwe, very weak looking side. They also have UAE who they will beat, but it could be messy.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if Afghanistan would start as favourites against Bangladesh. Tamim is inconsistent but a class above any of the Afghani bats IMO, Rahim is genuinely good in ODI cricket these days, and Shakib is an absolute gun with bat and ball.

Sure, you wouldn't expect their army of SLA-ers to take many wickets, but they're not exactly easy to get away either. Depends on whether Hamid Hassan is fit to fire out Bangladesh's top order; if the Banglas make a score, I can only see Afghanistan running it down with some Nabi h4x.

Could go either way, but I reckon Bangladesh start as favourites.

brockley

International Captain
ok i can see that.But Aghanis batting is improving or developing.Depends what Bangladesh turn up like Pakistan,good or evil.:-O

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm a bit worried about NZ being given a chance in this tournament. They always seem to perform better when expectations are low and they can fly under the radar. So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me it they were upset by Bangladesh or Afghanistan, and therefore not making the quarter finals.

brockley

International Captain
Afghanistan the 1 to watch for me,their bowlers bowl on dead Wkts and they still get wkts,so imagine them on a pitch that actually helps.They have a 18 year and he is a gun batsmen,Javed or Ghani or something like that was a star in the World Youth Cup.

Ireland bt Afghanistan the other day but Balbirnie at 7,Mooney at 8 and Cussack at 9.Doubt they will have that batting depth in the world cup,if they did they'd have 1 crap bowling attack.

Julian87

State Captain
I can see Zimbabwe beating the West Indies at Canberra. It's always an absolute belter at Manuka and the Zimbos look as though they'll be batting very low.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I have a question about ODI between Scotland and Afghanistan.
ICC Match Centre
Scotland won by 150 runs. Scotland's score was 213/7. The last ball was no run. However, why did the Batsmen not run? In the limited-over games, the number of outs does not matter and only the number of runs matters. So Batsmen must run in the last ball, as long as the possibility of a run still exists even less than 1%?

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
when Shahid Afridi is available I don't fear the minnows his bowling absolutely destroys them ironically our 2007 Ireland defeat was when Afridi was unavailable

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
He does raise a good point though. Certain players loves to pick on the minnows, like Malinga for example. If he plays SL might just be the least likely to lose against a minnow.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I have a question about ODI between Scotland and Afghanistan.
ICC Match Centre
Scotland won by 150 runs. Scotland's score was 213/7. The last ball was no run. However, why did the Batsmen not run? In the limited-over games, the number of outs does not matter and only the number of runs matters. So Batsmen must run in the last ball, as long as the possibility of a run still exists even less than 1%?
Huh. I actually agree with this one.