• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Thread

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I am really pleased to see Pakistan starting to pull it together. They were completely written off after the first two games but have come back nicely.

It's going to be bloody interesting come quarter finals time.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Irrespective of the result, I am proud of the team and the intensity with which the pace bowlers bowled. Wahab Riaz was for me the best bowler in the tournament. Bowled with a lot of heart. I can't wait to see him blow teams away in test cricket with Junaid Khan at the other end.
Misbah has ended his career with the same dignity he played the game with.
There are two moments in this World Cup that define Misbah for me. First was against India when he reached his half century. Pakistan required 125 off 70 odd with 2 wickets in hand and the game was well and truly over. Yasir Shah from the other end wanted to congratulate him for his half century and he sent him back, not showing or feeling any joy at his personal milestone when his team was defeated.
The second moment was during the quarter final when Sohaib Maqsood shamefully refused to wear the helmet and field at short leg in the midst of a fiery spell from Wahab Riaz. Instead of forcing him to field there, he took the helmet himself and opted to field at short leg. Over the years I have never seen another captain opt to field at short leg. That encapsulated his selfless dedication towards his team.
Afridi is ending his career at the right time - can't bat, can't bowl and can't field. Good riddance.

Niall

International Coach
Wahab back in form was great, an attack of him, Junaid, Amir is ***y. Sohail looked ok as well, Adil was average. Irfan is a tough one, you can't discard him as he is a match winner, but its annoying how injury prone he is. Maybe the t20 world cup will be his swansong? I'd be shocked if he lasts until the Champions Trophy in 2017, and sadly 0.0001% chance of the 2019 World Cup..:@

Batting will be thee big discussion going forward. Not many players bar Safraz have really done much to inspire huge confidence going forward. Shezhad had 3 good knocks, however two of them were against U.A..E and Ireland arguably the 2 worst bowling line ups in the competition and a stodgy knock against India. Not awful, but I was expecting a little more. Babar Azam is definitely worth a look in the next year or two.

Haris looked promising and contributed more than Younis would have and his bowling was useful, but only one 50 and that was against UAE. I'd persist with him for a few more series however, the talent is their he just needs to go big which he has shown he can do before this competition.

Then the gruesome twosome Umar and Maqsood. An average of 29 since the beginning of 2013 is poor from Akmal. The excuse that he never had enough time to build an innings has been destroyed ages ago, and today was a great example with that horror shot to get out.

Maqsood I like, but its another unpredictable middle order hitter, can you really have him and Umar in the same side?

I'd hope Fawad replaces Misbah, although as its such an obvious choice, I wouldn't be shocked if they ignored him and brought back Malik for this role.

I'd like to see some of the other domestic and younger prospects get some chances in the next year, Azam, Aslam and maybe Rizwan who is supposed to be very good.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Make him captain.
I've seen a lot of this sentiment on social media (not sure if you're being serious here or not, but just referencing the overall sentiment). Let's tap the breaks. I love his passion and that was the best spell of fast bowling I've seen in ages, but he just now recently secured his spot in the team and needs to prove himself first as a leader. I'd rather he focus on his bowling than get beat-down with the burdens of being the Captain of the Circus.

Is that Wahab?
Yes, that's The Jacket himself.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I agree. This is an unnecessary pressure on Wahab and the kind of opinions being thrown around by Pakistanis on social media is a reflection of the hackneyed thinking in Pakistani cricket. Someone has one good game - make him the captain.

I think Fawad is the guy for me. He should now be made permanent in the ODI squad as the captain, and then given a spot in the test side instead of the useless Asad Shafiq, under Misbah as captain.

This will allow him to make the ODI side his own, while playing under Misbah in tests and being groomed for about a year or so and then ultimately take over the test side once Misbah retires.

I think with all the injuries and bans, Pakistan were forced to really extend their resources to the limit here and we found a lot of bowlers.

Both Junaid and Irfan are injury prone but now, for the first time like Australia, we have a group of fast bowlers who can be used efficiently and rotated every few games.

You can have Junaid, Irfan, Wahab, Rahat, Sohail and pick 2/3 from these boys to give ample rest to everyone the way Australia efficiently manages the resources of Johnson, Start, Siddle, Harris, Pattinson, Faulkner, Hazelwood, Cummins etc.

Having said that, I don't actually expect Pakistan to be so smart, and they will invariably make Junaid and Wahab play every game, only for them to break down every now and then.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I've seen a lot of this sentiment on social media (not sure if you're being serious here or not, but just referencing the overall sentiment). Let's tap the breaks. I love his passion and that was the best spell of fast bowling I've seen in ages, but he just now recently secured his spot in the team and needs to prove himself first as a leader. I'd rather he focus on his bowling than get beat-down with the burdens of being the Captain of the Circus.
He at least gives a ****. \_/