• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think your 2015 team is better than your 2011 team?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just hope we don't become insane in the months leading up to it this time. I mean, Tait and Krejza, but also ruling out Hussey and Doherty for the tournament and then having both be fit by the time the WC started

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That Hussey stuff was insane. I even remember at the time the squad came out Hussey was talking as if he'd been dropped because he said he was fit.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Australia now > Australia 2011 IMO. Far less spuds being picked (Krejza, Hastings, Paine, Tait, Smith-the-bowling-all-rounder).

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith was actually fairly useful as a lower order finisher in those days tbf. Obviously not a patch on now but he wasn't useless by any means.

Spikey

cant remember any good batting performances by smith in that role tbh, except for a game where his bowling was even better

OverratedSanity

Defnitely not. Kohli's about 5 times better, but the rest of the team is a mixed bag. Openers are extremely hit and miss,and we don't have anyone even close to Zaheer's quality in the bowling department.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Defnitely not. Kohli's about 5 times better, but the rest of the team is a mixed bag. Openers are extremely hit and miss,and we don't have anyone even close to Zaheer's quality in the bowling department.

Not sure I agree with this. India look a better balanced side than they did in 2011. I feel the bowling certainly is better.

Bhuvi, Shami, Ishant, Umesh, Jadeja, Ashwin, Binny (assuming this are the bowlers/allrounders picked) v Zaheer, Munaf, Nehra, Sreesanth, Yusuf, chawla, Harbhajan and Ashwin.

Zaheer probably beats Bhuvi but I think Shami edges Munaf and I would take Ishant and Umesh anyday over Nehra and Sreesanth.
Ashwin definitely better now that he was in 2011. Jadeja v Harbhajan is close but I think Sir probably wins that and I don't think Binny is any worse than Yusuf or Chawla.

Regarding the batting: Kohli and Raina are better players than they were in 2011. I don't think MS is worse than he was then.
Shikhar Dhawan isn't any inferior to Gambhir in ODIs. Sehwag on numbers probably a better player than Rahane but I feel Rahane's figures
will improve and I don't think he's really that far behind Sehwag in quality.

The real advantage the 2011 side had were Tendy and Yuvraj especially with Yuvraj being a big game match winner.
The 2015 side has Rayudu, Uthappa (likely) and Rohit. Rohit has the talent I think to match Yuvraj - the questions is whether he has the big match temperament.

On balance I think the batting was a bit better in 2011 but the 2015 side has better bowling and the flexibility of the side is greater. There are genuine allrounders in the side like Jadeja which the 2011 side didn't have meaning that India can play five bowlers. The 2011 side had to basically rely on Raina and Yuvraj cobbling the final ten overs.

cnerd123

likes this
Gambhir and Munaf were fantastic for us in the 2011 WC. Big reason behind us wining. And yea, we had Yuvraj at his best with bat and ball.

MrPrez

International Debutant
SA are significantly worse. I can't even remember the previous side, but this one looks horrible.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
SA are significantly worse. I can't even remember the previous side, but this one looks horrible.
I don't think the previous side was all too good. Had Kallis who was in reasonably good nick IIRC, don't think anyone else particularly stood out.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Without Tendulkar, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Gambhir, Zaheer in that kind of form? Not really. But then Kohli and co. can surprise.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think the biggest thing for India was how effective their fifth/sixth bowling options were in home conditions. They probably won't get that this time.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Without Tendulkar, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Gambhir, Zaheer in that kind of form? Not really. But then Kohli and co. can surprise.
Kohli has improved after 2011, but he was a very good ODI player in home conditions in 2011 too.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How so? AB can keep now; Amla and Steyn have also improved as ODI players. You also have Faf. Plus the conditions will suit the side more than subcontinent in 2011.

Last edited: