• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will SA win their first ever 50 over WC knockout game this time?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah. Australia or India.

Backing AB to be the best batsmen in the series tho.

anil1405

International Captain
This team is nowhere close to being as good as the 1999 team. There is no batting after fall of 5 wickets. Duminy and deKock will be coming back from injury. When it comes to bowling their 3rd n 4th seamers are far from the standards they need to be.

It will be a pleasant surprise if they make it to final but I highly doubt if they would. Individual brilliance of ABd might be the only hope of this team going the distance. And it would be a pleasant surprise for me if they do manage to.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, more than the previous world cups, I have a strong feeling this time that SA will get choked, mainly due to the tail and weak support bowlers. Steyn too is not that great in ODIs. AB is God though, so who knows. I think AB will be this year's Klusener for them winning matches from improbable situations but finally failing to do the last push.

Niall

International Coach
Very unlikely to win the whole thing.

Ab is awesome but only so much he can do and lets not forget he has never fired as he should in any world cup. De Kock will be in a race to get fit, Duminy is a minnow bashing bottler, they have no lower order, Steyn is hit and miss and I don't think Faf is as good as people say.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon this year is their year because you lot have given up on them turning it around and are writing them off.

That and Steyn can win this thing through force of will alone.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If we're talking in terms of winning the whole thing, while obviously SA has their flaws, which team is clearly better in Australian/NZ conditions? I'd argue only Australia can claim to be above SA, and NZ at home are about on par.

I think they'll win a knockout game, if not two. I fully expect them to make the final.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
They're incredibly reliant on about three players. First time they fail against a good side it'll be good night.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Need to get rid of Domingo. Andrew Hudson confirmed that it is his (Domingo's) idea to hold AB back instead of sending him in at 3 or 4.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf, I can very much see the logic. You don't really want Amla and AB next to each other, because it called all be over in one good spell. And he's such a good finisher you want to utilise those skills.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Nah, you want him there as long as possible.

What normally happens is de Kock gets about 20, Faf comes in and gets 6 off 24, some journeyman comes in at 4 and scratches around for 3 off 21 deliveries. Then AB comes in with a whole bunch of overs wasted.

Niall

International Coach
If we're talking in terms of winning the whole thing, while obviously SA has their flaws, which team is clearly better in Australian/NZ conditions? I'd argue only Australia can claim to be above SA, and NZ at home are about on par.

I think they'll win a knockout game, if not two. I fully expect them to make the final.
England have done pretty well against South Africa recently, they would have no beef with facing them. India know how to win competitions so can't see them been that alarmed about meeting South Africa. Heck, one of the few rays of sunshine in an abysmal few years in ODI cricket for Pakistan was winning in South Africa!

Somewhat related, but did South Africa ever conside recruiting Tendo?Obviously the moment has passed now, but looking at how they struggle to finish games of, can't help but feel they missed a trick by never really going after him. He is the type of player they are crying out for,

Red Devil

Cricket Spectator
They always had the team to do it, they do well in group stages and when they get to the knock-outs they lose. Now its more of a mental thing for them when they get to the Knock-out stages. But I still feel they have a chance in this World Cup.