• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will SA win their first ever 50 over WC knockout game this time?

dogwalker

U19 Captain
God knows why you're bigging up SA's chances before a knockout tournament. You'll be joining me in the waters of your own cry before long.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Past history means absolutely nothing at all. Hell, if we're going by the past, then according to the 1992 World Cup, both Australia and India will flame out. Also I'm struggling to understand your definition of "recent", if you think that Australia "has the best recent history in knockout tournaments".

Everything is else just a rehash of "Haha SA are CHOCKERS, LOLZ". There's no actual analysis or justification as to why they are weaker or more preferable opponents than Pakistan, India or even the frigging West Indies. Yeah, I'm sure the England brains trust would rather face South Africa than the Windies in the quarters because they won a Champions Trophy match at home with completely different line ups and because Klusener ran Donald out in 99. Why not.
So india winning the previous champions trophy and world cup means nothing? Well I'd rather go into the tournament knowing how to win as India do rather than SA or Eng who haven't won a major 50 over trophy. Course it matters.

The choker tag goes to a teams psyche. It can be unfounded and you might not choke in a game but once you've got it it's hard to dispell. It's always there. Whether it's some guy bringing it up in a forum, some aussie journalist bringing it up the day before SA and AUS meet, or whether it's Michael Clarke imitating choking as AB De Villiers comes out to bat. Until they dispel the myth or a long time period goes past it'll always be there.

I didn't say anything about preferring to face SA to WI or Pak. Fact is England are likely to be towards the bottom of their group and face teams towards the top of the other group. If it was between facing India or SA in a world cup qf I would take SA in a heartbeat.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
So india winning the previous champions trophy and world cup means nothing? Well I'd rather go into the tournament knowing how to win as India do rather than SA or Eng who haven't won a major 50 over trophy. Course it matters.
Yeah, it means absolutely nothing. India will not win this World Cup. Book it. Also if you're counting the Champions Trophy as "a major 50 over trophy", SA won it back in 1998. So that just leaves England winless in that department. Forever Alone.

As for going into the tournament "knowing how to win", did India go into 2011 knowing how to win a major 50 over trophy? No. How did they end up winning then, if that counted for anything?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, it means absolutely nothing. India will not win this World Cup. Book it. Also if you're counting the Champions Trophy as "a major 50 over trophy", SA won it back in 1998. So that just leaves England winless in that department. Forever Alone.

As for going into the tournament "knowing how to win", did India go into 2011 knowing how to win a major 50 over trophy? No. How did they end up winning then, if that counted for anything?
IMO, the experience of winning the 2007 T20 did play a role in "preparing" the players for major tournaments.

Choking experience spills over too.

cf. Tendulkar WC 2003 final and WC 2011 final. :ph34r:

Thought I meant to make the tired old reference to SA there, didntcha?

Niall

International Coach
Past history means absolutely nothing at all. Hell, if we're going by the past, then according to the 1992 World Cup, both Australia and India will flame out. Also I'm struggling to understand your definition of "recent", if you think that Australia "has the best recent history in knockout tournaments".

Everything is else just a rehash of "Haha SA are CHOCKERS, LOLZ". There's no actual analysis or justification as to why they are weaker or more preferable opponents than Pakistan, India or even the frigging West Indies. Yeah, I'm sure the England brains trust would rather face South Africa than the Windies in the quarters because they won a Champions Trophy match at home with completely different line ups and because Klusener ran Donald out in 99. Why not.

England like everyone else would prefer to face Pakistan as their team looks the weakest of the established test teams, especially if Hafeez is banned. The West Indies? Who knows really what to expect. Russell and a few others I could see hammering England towards the end.

They have done pretty well against South Africa in the last few years, so they won't have any fears at all. Why should they? Although yeah, I doubt South Africa would be to upset about playing England either,

Its a 50/50 match if it were to happen I reckon.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Teja bhai,

Today they were bitten in T20 after posting 231 so I doubt they will do any better in 50over game without kallis,smith.
I do not know their one day bowler but I am sure they are better than current new batch of t20.well they have AB villers,
@ modern day Tarzan, a match winner.
A different bowling attack is expected to bowl in the World Cup.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bump.

If SA vs UAE match gets washed out, then SA might have to face Australia in the QF.

Flem274*

123/5
nah i want nz to get a proper threat before a potential final if we get that far. i don't want us underdone.

anil1405

International Captain
Is this still somewhat likely to happen? Kinda hoping SL plays them now, especially being in Sydney and chokers ect
Don't think weather will be as bad that it would be a washout. Are you certain RSA will play SL in Sydney?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
nah i want nz to get a proper threat before a potential final if we get that far. i don't want us underdone.
You'd still have to play damn well to beat teams like Pakistan and SL to make it, can't see this as a problem tbh