• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great Moments in World Cup History

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I liked that moment between 1999 and 2011 when Australia didn't lose a match.

Also that moment when McGrath utterly humiliated tendulkar (deliberate absence of capital T) in the 03 final with the way he had him caught and bowled. Gave true meaning to what tendulkar had done earlier in the tournament: it meant nothing.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This thread needs footage of SA's chokes in 2007 and 2011. 2007 was especially hilarious. Kallis jumping a foot outside leg trying to hit McGrath out of the Caribbean just because Hayden called him a liability before the match = pure lol.
IIRC Graeme Smith had an absolutely ridiculous dismissal.

OverratedSanity

IIRC Graeme Smith had an absolutely ridiculous dismissal.
Smith, Kallis and Prince all played absolutely shocking shots. The first 5 overs, they kept trying to jump down the track and hit the Aussie quicks down the ground to prove..... something.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Despite two world cup wins, I think Sachin's 98 v. Pakistan would be up there for most Indian fans. It's most definitely the peak of my ODI watching life. Tendulkar's 1993-2003 reign ending with the most glorious of all his knocks, if not his best.
This is even more special for me:

Edit: Inserted correct video link.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tis the greatest hair raising moment alongside Donald running out in 99 semi (only two occasions when I screamed while watching a match, ones in ecstasy, other in agony):

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I liked that moment between 1999 and 2011 when Australia didn't lose a match.

Also that moment when McGrath utterly humiliated tendulkar (deliberate absence of capital T) in the 03 final with the way he had him caught and bowled. Gave true meaning to what tendulkar had done earlier in the tournament: it meant nothing.
I absolutely loved how Yuvraj showed Ponting in the '11 WC QF what his 1st innings century meant, lol.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tis the greatest hair raising moment alongside Donald running out in 99 semi (only two occasions when I screamed while watching a match, ones in ecstasy, other in agony):

You are a calmer person than me. I have screamed about 10 times during 2011 WC alone.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Despite two world cup wins, I think Sachin's 98 v. Pakistan would be up there for most Indian fans. It's most definitely the peak of my ODI watching life. Tendulkar's 1993-2003 reign ending with the most glorious of all his knocks, if not his best.
Although it was a much much smaller ocassion, Tendulkar's Sharjah sand-storm '98 is somehow dearer closer to my heart - maybe because I was younger.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Andrew Symonds 143*

Particularly when you consider his Maxwell-like form leading into the WC, Warne's ban just prior to the match and that Australia were in all sorts of trouble when he came in.

Hand-in-hand with that is Ponting's words of wisdom to him that Richie Benaud came to love: "Be here at the end"

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Maxwell is so much like what Symonds was treated like in his first 50 ODIs too though; throw him around the order everywhere, basically a 7 who also bowls a bit. Maxy doesn't deserve to be given the number five spot, but I think people should remember how long Symonds was struggling in ODI cricket before this innings.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, agree. It astounds me even today when I watch that knock how almost every boundary he hit looked absolutely perfect. Most thrilling knock I've ever seen. After every four, I was simultaneously thinking "Go go go keep smashing them" and "Slow down, just get to the end".

Daemon

I'll never forget Munaf Patel's short run against England in 2011. If the dumb **** had run properly we'd have beat England instead of the tie and Bangladesh would have gone through to the knockouts.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'll never forget Munaf Patel's short run against England in 2011. If the dumb **** had run properly we'd have beat England instead of the tie and Bangladesh would have gone through to the knockouts.
You speak as if that's a desirable outcome.

#2007neverforget