• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India WC Thread

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Haha yeah, Bhogle is so irritating with his templatised wise ass comments. One example: "how many times you think [insert something a casual observer might say], and then it turns out [insert something that is interesting but not as unexpected as Bhogle thinks]". He gets away with all that though because of his smooth speech.

Bhogle is pretty decent. I don't think there's anything wrong in his commentary. He doesn't pretend to be an expert and just voices his opinion like a cricket fan. I don't know why people criticize him so much.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's just flat out annoying. He's a typical radio style commentator who's perfect for colourful radio broadcasts but terrible for TV because he doesn't know when to shut his trap for a second.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
He's just flat out annoying. He's a typical radio style commentator who's perfect for colourful radio broadcasts but terrible for TV because he doesn't know when to shut his trap for a second.
A lot better than some of the "I-know-it-all" kind of commentators which we have these days. I m pretty pleased to hear someone who talks more like a cricket enthusiast.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I think the Indian WC squad didn't have that balance right from the start. But despite of that, winning 7 games in a row is commendable.

Our batting looked OK, I mean the batsmen weren't smashing the opponents like the SA, Aus and NZ batsmen. Our batsmen were trying to play within their limits, they looked good for scoring around 270-300 runs but never looked like they will be able to chase/post big totals. The support of our bowlers really helped. All our wins were based on team work, that was great to see.

The biggest weakness we had was our lower order, Ashwin and Jadeja cannot score at a brisk pace in these conditions, MSD didn't have that much of freedom to attack because there was no one after him who could chip in with important runs. We basically had 6 batsmen with Jadeja who could score runs, but without much impact.

Second problem was our 5th bowler. In big grounds, with a hint of extra bounce on offer, you would expect Jadeja to play a key role. For a team like India, the way our bowlers perform in the middle overs was very important. Ashwin was pretty effective and he found a rhythm that worked in the given conditions, but on the other end Jadeja was just like a part timer darting a few deliveries at 90ks. Now Dhoni picked him over Axar Patel because of his experience and the fact that he could be more effective with the bat, but he simply failed to do the job.

M not criticizing MSD for picking Jadeja, but we cannot depend on our pace bowlers too much, Yadav can leak too many runs when he has an off day, same with Shami, and Mohit is inexperienced. Overall our pace bowling unit did really well, a lot better than what was expected from them. But we needed our 2 spinners to have that impact. Despite of being so experienced, I haven't seen Jadeja improve with time, Ashwin has constantly been experimenting with his bowling and has been getting better with each day, but Jadeja is still the same despite of the amount of international cricket he has played.

India couldn't have got a better venue for their semi final, and there was a bit of purchase for the spinners, 20 overs from our spinners were crucial, especially on the day our pace bowlers were not doing that well, but Jadeja was not useful. Our lower order was our weakness, but playing Axar Patel would have made our bowling lineup a lot more stronger. Ashwin would have been even more effective if he had someone doing an equally good job at the other end.

Overall, the team played exceptionally well throughout the tournament and showed a lot of commitment. Great to see them reach the semi finals, they lost to a team that played a lot better on the day.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
India really need to find a big hitting all rounder or two who can come in at number 7 and smash it around and be reasonably competent with the ball.

Sir doesn't fit the bill of number 7 for me - he has his good qualities; he's a great fielder and I think he's a reasonably tidy bowler.
But he's not good enough to bat 7, either in the subcontinent or outside.

OverratedSanity

So good that the ICC had to completely change the rules of the game to avoid him walking all over the opposition again.
Oh but didn't you know he was a dart thrower who bowled flat mediocre rubbish and got jammy wickets and the new rules have eliminated those. We'll just ignore that he got most of those wickets as a result of cleverly tossing the ball up.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is what I was saying a while back. Our batting in this world cup lacked depth badly. Look at the lower order batsmen of other teams like Maxwell, Duminy, Correy Anderson and even Sammy/Russell of West Indies.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Guys, I think I have the solution to our lower order biffing problem.

Tap into the dominant Indian World Champion Kabaddi outfit and teach them to hold a bat.

OverratedSanity

yeah. guy on the left would fit in well with the Dhawan rat-tail too.

Suave spectator with a fedora on the right is one of the mysteries of life.
The guy in the black turban on the left making the "I'm comin for that booty" face is intriguing. What an image. So many stories.