Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: India WC Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    He totally **** himself against decent bowling in his comeback. Not very comfortable with him playing in high pressure WC matches at all, especially after the T20 WC.
    anil1405 likes this.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah there's no way Pankaj or Jadhav were ever seriously in the frame; you don't go into World Cups carrying guys that inexperienced at the international level, even if they might turn out to be better long-term options than the incumbents.

Basically, if you haven't player 10+ ODIs in the last two years (unless you're in a Ryan Harris-type situation, or have absolutely gunned in in the lead-up to the World Cup), you can't really expect to be anywhere near squad selection
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Sohail Khan | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

though tbf he did 'gun it' before this

Utthappa misses out. Weird.
    Arjun likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Suicide Bob Champion!
    He did fail against Bangladesh last year so I can see why tbf.

Binny might/should actually turn out to be a better all rounder than Jadeja on some of the NZ pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah there's no way Pankaj or Jadhav were ever seriously in the frame; you don't go into World Cups carrying guys that inexperienced at the international level, even if they might turn out to be better long-term options than the incumbents.

Basically, if you haven't player 10+ ODIs in the last two years (unless you're in a Ryan Harris-type situation, or have absolutely gunned in in the lead-up to the World Cup), you can't really expect to be anywhere near squad selection
    Fair, but Pankaj (instead of Dinda, Mohit, Aaron, Ishant) and Jadhav (instead of Rayudu) should have been picked a year or two ago, especially last year. Form is on their side, especially Pankaj's. Instead, the selectors persisted with the wrong blokes, and are now stuck with them. Their continued exclusion is proof that the selectors' priorities have been wrong this season.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    He totally **** himself against decent bowling in his comeback. Not very comfortable with him playing in high pressure WC matches at all, especially after the T20 WC.
    I'm not sure I'd have Jadeja in pressure situations, since Dhoni moves heaven and earth to ensure Jadeja never is under pressure. Yuvraj, on the other hand, has won matches with the bat from pressure situations, and taken timely wickets in situations where Dhoni will never throw the ball to Jadeja. He's also got form and fitness on his side. He was worth it. Likewise, Rayudu's strike rate is far from inspiring, and got a boost only recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    He did fail against Bangladesh last year so I can see why tbf.
    Failed in one, two or three matches. Contrast that with Rohit Sharma, a miscast ODI opener with neither the strike rate nor the technique. He needed over a year to get going at the top. Likewise, Rayudu, another ODI misfit, who needed loads of chances to get some striking power. Uthappa was not treated well by the selectors, and wasn't part of Club Dhoni.

What should be India's opening combination? I would be inclined towards Rohit and Rahane, leaving out Dhawan in Australian conditions.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Nah, don't think we should leave Dhawan out. He did well in the CT in England so it's not like he's sure to fail in these conditions. Coming off a very strong series against SL as well.

Leaving him out means we got to bring in Rayudu who gets bogged down easy by good bowling and tight fields. Knowing our bowling we'll be needing lots of runs and fast, which Dhawan offers.

Rohit only plays if he's opening tho, and if we put Dhawan to open as well, it means Rahane will slip down to the middle order.

---
    Rohit
    Kohli
    ---
    Raina
    MSD
    Jadeja/Binny/Ashwin/Akshar

I'd be tempted to go Rahane/Rayudu for the free slots but Dhawan/Rahane works too.

We should play 3 spinners.Our third seamer will receive a whipping as usual.

Dhawan and Rohit should open with Rahane coming in third. Then the usual Kohli-Dhoni-Raina combo follows. I am fine with either Jadeja, Akshar or Binny at 7. They are mostly going to be a filler, who if they turn out decent and not get smashed, is good for the team's fortunes. Ashwin and Bhuvi both can bat a bit and hold their own with the ball in ODIs. Shami next and then whoever out of Ishant/Umesh get selected, they ll go for 1/65 in 10 overs. Not too happy with Rayudu's selection. With the form that Uthappa and Naman Ojha are in, India could have gone with either of those two, mainly Uthappa.

My starting team: Dhawan, Rohit, Rahane, Kohli, Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Umesh in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    Dhawan and Rohit should open with Rahane coming in third. Then the usual Kohli-Dhoni-Raina combo follows. I am fine with either Jadeja, Akshar or Binny at 7. They are mostly going to be a filler, who if they turn out decent and not get smashed, is good for the team's fortunes. Ashwin and Bhuvi both can bat a bit and hold their own with the ball in ODIs. Shami next and then whoever out of Ishant/Umesh get selected, they ll go for 1/65 in 10 overs. Not too happy with Rayudu's selection. With the form that Uthappa and Naman Ojha are in, India could have gone with either of those two, mainly Uthappa.

My starting team: Dhawan, Rohit, Rahane, Kohli, Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Umesh in that order.
    Yes I agree mostly, but I think Umesh is a better option than Ishant because he can bowl in death overs.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information