• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India WC Thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, don't think we should leave Dhawan out. He did well in the CT in England so it's not like he's sure to fail in these conditions. Coming off a very strong series against SL as well.

Leaving him out means we got to bring in Rayudu who gets bogged down easy by good bowling and tight fields. Knowing our bowling we'll be needing lots of runs and fast, which Dhawan offers.

cnerd123

likes this
Rohit only plays if he's opening tho, and if we put Dhawan to open as well, it means Rahane will slip down to the middle order.

---
Rohit
Kohli
---
Raina
MSD
Jadeja/Binny/Ashwin/Akshar

I'd be tempted to go Rahane/Rayudu for the free slots but Dhawan/Rahane works too.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhawan and Rohit should open with Rahane coming in third. Then the usual Kohli-Dhoni-Raina combo follows. I am fine with either Jadeja, Akshar or Binny at 7. They are mostly going to be a filler, who if they turn out decent and not get smashed, is good for the team's fortunes. Ashwin and Bhuvi both can bat a bit and hold their own with the ball in ODIs. Shami next and then whoever out of Ishant/Umesh get selected, they ll go for 1/65 in 10 overs. Not too happy with Rayudu's selection. With the form that Uthappa and Naman Ojha are in, India could have gone with either of those two, mainly Uthappa.

My starting team: Dhawan, Rohit, Rahane, Kohli, Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Umesh in that order.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dhawan and Rohit should open with Rahane coming in third. Then the usual Kohli-Dhoni-Raina combo follows. I am fine with either Jadeja, Akshar or Binny at 7. They are mostly going to be a filler, who if they turn out decent and not get smashed, is good for the team's fortunes. Ashwin and Bhuvi both can bat a bit and hold their own with the ball in ODIs. Shami next and then whoever out of Ishant/Umesh get selected, they ll go for 1/65 in 10 overs. Not too happy with Rayudu's selection. With the form that Uthappa and Naman Ojha are in, India could have gone with either of those two, mainly Uthappa.

My starting team: Dhawan, Rohit, Rahane, Kohli, Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Umesh in that order.
Yes I agree mostly, but I think Umesh is a better option than Ishant because he can bowl in death overs.

anil1405

International Captain
India's two best batsmen over the last year or two have been Kohli and MSD. If you are not going to send your best batsman one down (where he has played most of the time) then it would be foolish and playing into hands of the opposition.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is we don't have a good no. 4. Rayudu isn't good enough, and Rahane doesn't play well under RRR pressure from ball one. Rohit at 4 will be the worst idea.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Also Kohli, Dhoni and Raina are all very good ODI players. That cover at 4-6 will be really good if a Steyn or an Anderson gets rid of our top order quickly on a given day.

It's really a good grouping too:

Dhawan, Rohit, Rahane are the kind of batsmen who like to bat in their own way (Dhawan attacks from ball 1, Rohit takes his time before going berserk, Rahane likes to pace his innings in his own way).

Kohli, Raina, Dhoni on the other hand are masters of playing according to the situation - quality I'll look for in a middle-order ODI batsman.

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
Raina and MSD are well equipped to deal with the RRR pressure if and when it arises. Its a big IF here as India losing two early wickets while batting 2nd might happen in very few games. And just for these few games we can't consolidate on attacking instincts (Kohli at 3). Plus Kohli has been a gun while chasing so we should give him maximum overs to bat.

cnerd123

likes this
Dhawan - Rahane - Kohli - Rohit - Raina - MSD in a runchase.
Dhawan - Rohit - Rahane - Kohli - Raina - MSD when setting a target

Easy. Rahane is more reliable than Rohit and more likely to set a sound platform to launch from; Rohit being hit-or-miss is fine when we are chasing with Kohli on strike and Raina and MSD to come.

When setting a target, Rohit going bonkers could help us get 400, and Rahane can play himself in, while Kohli/Raina/MSD can accelerate towards the end.

anil1405

International Captain
Dhawan - Rahane - Kohli - Rohit - Raina - MSD in a runchase.
Dhawan - Rohit - Rahane - Kohli - Raina - MSD when setting a target

Easy. Rahane is more reliable than Rohit and more likely to set a sound platform to launch from; Rohit being hit-or-miss is fine when we are chasing with Kohli on strike and Raina and MSD to come.

When setting a target, Rohit going bonkers could help us get 400, and Rahane can play himself in, while Kohli/Raina/MSD can accelerate towards the end.
1) Haven't really seen a team who alter their batting order depending on the innings they bat in.
2) Why not opt for a batsman who sets the platform and launches at the same time rather than a guy who just sets a platform?
3) Rohit will go bonkers, Yea...but that would be to self destroy himself.

Daemon

Don't understand the argument that Kohli should be given more time and therefore should be #3 instead of #4. It's a 50 over game, if we're 2 down at like 35 overs and Kohli doesn't get to play a proper innings, chances are we're already in a really strong position.

anil1405

International Captain
If Kohli comes in to bat in and around the 35th over, it means you are wasting a talent who could have put you in a better position than the other no.3 and increased your chances of winning even further.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Don't understand the argument that Kohli should be given more time and therefore should be #3 instead of #4. It's a 50 over game, if we're 2 down at like 35 overs and Kohli doesn't get to play a proper innings, chances are we're already in a really strong position.
Exactly. None among Dhawan, Rohit and Rahane is slow like Ravi Shastri TBH. I know Rohit (and to an extent Rahane in ODIs) consume deliveries before getting set sometimes and that looks particularly bad when they're out for 20 or 30 - but that's the precise reason I don't want one of them at no. 4. Consuming deliveries at the top against Steyn/Anderson is better than consuming deliveries at overs 25-35 against Tredwell after a good start. Rohit at no. 4 is the worst move India can make.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Good post. India needs to strengthen the middle order as much as possible especially on Australian pitches so that the top 3 who are prone to 2 gears can play without much pressure.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Indian team looks a bunch of ****s in this world cup kit. Though, it's probably the angle. Weird looking photo.

OverratedSanity

That's creepy as ****. What's everyone looking at with those rapey expressions (especially Ashwin) and why is Dhoni not interested?