• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India WC Thread

anil1405

International Captain
I have this scary premonition that Binny's going to feature in at least half our games.
Dhoni likes his spinners. He is comfortable picking two spinners in an ODI no matter what the conditions. If Binny has to play I guess it will most likely be when MSD decides to go with 2 seamers + Binny instead of three seamers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Delighted to see Ambati Rayudu in the world cup squad. Dreams do come true in Indian cricket, after all.

cnerd123

likes this
Was hoping to see Mohit Sharma actually. I rate him higher than Ishant for ODIs anyways.

And Binny! w00t w00t.

Red Devil

Cricket Spectator
I don't know what Ashwin, Ishant and Dhawan done to get a spot in the WC squad. None of the three performs well but yet getting selected.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think Ishant is must. He is amongst our three best seamers even in ODIs. Not too happy with Rayudu and Binny being there. Would have preferred Uthappa to Rayudu. Still expect to see Yuvraj sneaking in to the squad.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Ishant is must. He is amongst our three best seamers even in ODIs. Not too happy with Rayudu and Binny being there. Would have preferred Uthappa to Rayudu. Still expect to see Yuvraj sneaking in to the squad.
Ishant is worse in ODIs than tests due to the amount of runs he leaks. I too would have liked Uthappa in the squad instead of Rayudu. He is in great form since last year. Fine with Binny playing as long as he is the fifth bowler and not the 4th bowler. Our ODI batting is strong and he will come at No 7 where he can hit one or two lusty blows at death.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A decent squad, on the whole, but a few questionable selections do pop up. The Save Jadeja plan is kicking into overdrive, when this unfit bloke gets a game, while Yuvraj, raking in the runs in Ranji, doesn't. No place for Pankaj, again questionable, especially when they're still persisting with Ishant, who's got neither the wickets nor the economy. Rayudu seems to have very recent form on his side, but Kedar Jadhav is a much better batsman, again unlucky to miss out. Equally surprising is the exclusion of Uthappa, who's had just four poor games last season.

While some folks say four seamers are simply not enough for the World Cup, I'd say the team needs to get the most out of their top four seamers, than pack the side with an extra who never gets a game. Always, the fifth seamer in the squad is a mere passenger, who contributes nothing. On the other hand, when you have Ashwin, Axar, Jadders (or Yuvi) in the squad, you have three batting options, plus Bucky, so four, so you can play five bowlers on pitches where batting will thrive and India's bits-and-pieces fifth bowler options will always get found out and weaken the team. The death bowling concerns are linked to their dying fortunes in the middle-overs when spinners operate. While India's part-time spinners operate well on Indian turning pitches, they're completely useless on flat decks. The best combo they have is Bucky-Mesh-Shami-Ashwin-Axar, on form and fitness.

Only one proper opener is in the side. The onus is on the other bloke, be it Rohit or Rahane, to score at a high strike rate, otherwise, he's not doing his job out there. The batting is strong, from one to six, although Rayudu's poor strike rate may be exploited by bowling sides.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuvraj is done as an international cricketer... shouldn't be brought back no matter how many Ranji runs he scores.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He totally **** himself against decent bowling in his comeback. Not very comfortable with him playing in high pressure WC matches at all, especially after the T20 WC.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah there's no way Pankaj or Jadhav were ever seriously in the frame; you don't go into World Cups carrying guys that inexperienced at the international level, even if they might turn out to be better long-term options than the incumbents.

Basically, if you haven't player 10+ ODIs in the last two years (unless you're in a Ryan Harris-type situation, or have absolutely gunned in in the lead-up to the World Cup), you can't really expect to be anywhere near squad selection

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Binny might/should actually turn out to be a better all rounder than Jadeja on some of the NZ pitches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there's no way Pankaj or Jadhav were ever seriously in the frame; you don't go into World Cups carrying guys that inexperienced at the international level, even if they might turn out to be better long-term options than the incumbents.

Basically, if you haven't player 10+ ODIs in the last two years (unless you're in a Ryan Harris-type situation, or have absolutely gunned in in the lead-up to the World Cup), you can't really expect to be anywhere near squad selection
Fair, but Pankaj (instead of Dinda, Mohit, Aaron, Ishant) and Jadhav (instead of Rayudu) should have been picked a year or two ago, especially last year. Form is on their side, especially Pankaj's. Instead, the selectors persisted with the wrong blokes, and are now stuck with them. Their continued exclusion is proof that the selectors' priorities have been wrong this season.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
He totally **** himself against decent bowling in his comeback. Not very comfortable with him playing in high pressure WC matches at all, especially after the T20 WC.
I'm not sure I'd have Jadeja in pressure situations, since Dhoni moves heaven and earth to ensure Jadeja never is under pressure. Yuvraj, on the other hand, has won matches with the bat from pressure situations, and taken timely wickets in situations where Dhoni will never throw the ball to Jadeja. He's also got form and fitness on his side. He was worth it. Likewise, Rayudu's strike rate is far from inspiring, and got a boost only recently.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
He did fail against Bangladesh last year so I can see why tbf.
Failed in one, two or three matches. Contrast that with Rohit Sharma, a miscast ODI opener with neither the strike rate nor the technique. He needed over a year to get going at the top. Likewise, Rayudu, another ODI misfit, who needed loads of chances to get some striking power. Uthappa was not treated well by the selectors, and wasn't part of Club Dhoni.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What should be India's opening combination? I would be inclined towards Rohit and Rahane, leaving out Dhawan in Australian conditions.