• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thisara is lol with the ball recently. He has to undergo some srious modification of his action so he could be bit more side on.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Completely lacks rhythm most of the time, at his best he bowls about 10kmph quicker and gets some pretty serious zip and bounce, bowling coach should be all over him

veganbob

U19 Captain
Srilanka look a bit disjointed atm, however I still think they will be a genuine threat for anyone in a knockout game. South Africa would probably be nervous if they were facing lanka in the quaters.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i suppose the good thing about the format of this world cup is that it allows teams to have a slow start and still get through(hopefully!)

Flem274*

123/5
I still rate this team. Malinga being poo hurts but on paper the only issue is the death batting. Still the 4th best team imo.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
just reading on SL newspapers site that Jeevan mendis been injured during training and UT being flown out asap in case a replacement is needed. It says they are waiting for the ICC docs to confirm the seriousness of the injury..interesting before the England game. Not wanting to wish ill on anyone but UT would be a useful addition to the #6/7 slot for us agasint England...

YorksLanka

International Debutant
no thanks..on a serious note, the article did state that UT was being flown to Aus just in case so your "boi" misses outagain( rightfully too imo)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah bring in another bowler for an injured all-rounder in a squad full of bowlers, don't think so viriya...

Tharanga probably the best of the lot back home

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
excellent
Interesting to read Tharanga's in contention for the Bangladesh game. Surely Chandimal is the next cab off the rank in terms of middle order batsmen, unless they're speculating on playing both for that game.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
yeah i would have liked to see Chandi and Chameera get a run out against Banglas..Interesting reading as Sanath reported as saying that UT can bat anywhere in the order, whereas Angie has said that he wants him as an opener..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Tharanga even in Australia yet? He's been playing domestic cricket so he's in form but that's a bit much. Tharanga has a good record at no 6 in Australia, although small sample size and all, so he's a good shout for a middle order spot, although no 7 is where he'd have to bat, this side sure is carrying some out of position openers if he bats there. No way can Tharanga force his way into this side as an opener atm.

viriya

International Captain
Technically it'd be best if Tharanga takes Thiri's spot and Thiri moves back down, but it's unlikely to happen considering Thiri did well vs NZ. The thing is, Tharanga has proven that he can go on and make a big one when opening while Thiri hasn't really done that so for SL it would make more sense to make that change.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
You're probably right but I don't think it will happen. I hope that chandimal gets a chance and stakes a claim with a big score..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Technically it'd be best if Tharanga takes Thiri's spot and Thiri moves back down, but it's unlikely to happen considering Thiri did well vs NZ. The thing is, Tharanga has proven that he can go on and make a big one when opening while Thiri hasn't really done that so for SL it would make more sense to make that change.
2 hundreds in the Asia cup (including the final) says hello, in any case a consistent starter is of more value to a team stacked with middle order greatness IMO

YorksLanka

International Debutant
just realised that I was replying to Max in defence of keeping Thirri as opener(as well as his ability,he also has good previousin Aus) rather than Viriya's but forgot to press the reply with quote- apologies for the confusion..FWIW i like Thirri and feel that opening is the best spot for him as he tends to get our easily when trying to push on rather than accumulating runs IMO..
Am in a quandry regarding Satchi as i can see both sides, if we play him over and extra batsman then we give the bowling attack much more bite and control, however if the ball swings like it did for Southee at this venue then Anderson may run riot and so we would need the extra batsman or our bowlers may not have anything much to defend..??
EDIT- just read that team management thinking of bringing in UT at the expense of chandi and replacing Lakmal with Satchi? The first i can understand but i think Lakmal has looked the most consistent of our quicks and cant believe that we are thinking of dropping him..

Last edited: