• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

viriya

International Captain
I don't know why you guys haven't thrown in the towel and switched to NZ or SA... They lost to Zim ffs.. just save yourself the pain.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Despite SL's loss today they will make the quarters. Then anything can happen. What is SUPER important for SL is Malinga bowls his 10 in every single game from now till then. There were glimpses of what he can do today. Obviously he's still rusty and not in the best shape.There are several weeks until the quarters and Malinga can hone his skills and improve his fitness by then.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting first makes things a lot easier for us I feel, think we need to start picking Senanayake too, mind you Lakmal has made himself difficult to drop, and obviously Herath will continue as our middle over strangle man. Malinga and Kula just have to step up, simple

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL is one batsman short and has two passengers. In the past Kulasekara did the holding job by bowling tight. But now Mathews does it miles better than Kulasekara. Senanayke had bee the best spinner we had, so he should come in expense of Kule and Mendis, altholugh bowling well, should give away to Chandimal.

Dilshan, Thirimanne, Chandimal, Sanga, MJ, Karunarathne, Mathews, Senanayake, Herath, Malinga, Lakmal

SL should bit the bullet and use Senanayke at the end of the innings and if necessary in the beginning. Herath is good enough to squeeze in the middle. Lakmal and Mathews could open the innings on most occasions, and Malinga should be bowled outside 1st power plays initially, and then at the end.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthews at 7 is a bit ridiculous, Chandimal has done nothing to show he deserves a spot at the moment, he'll come into the team and bat up the order after the WC one feels

Julian87

State Captain
Matthews at 7 is a bit ridiculous, Chandimal has done nothing to show he deserves a spot at the moment, he'll come into the team and bat up the order after the WC one feels
Mathews at 7 is ridiculous but I agree with the XI Migara has named. Mathews should still bat 5 or 6 though, I'd probably use Karunaratne at 7.

Going on the last 6 weeks of cricket for Sri Lanka Kulesekera and Mendis just don't command a spot. Sri Lanka are a better side with Senenayake and Thisara/Chandimal in for them IMO. Chandimal hasn't been great of late but he's obviously talented and only 8 weeks ago or something he scored some pretty handy runs for them at home.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I like Sri Lanka but I think they will tank this world cup. I think this generation of Sri Lankan players had their sunshine moment when they won the t20 world cup last year finally
breaking the finals jinx.
I think their senior guys have probably played one big tournament too many and their next generation is still to fully come through. A tough tournament in store for them.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathews at 7 is ridiculous but I agree with the XI Migara has named. Mathews should still bat 5 or 6 though, I'd probably use Karunaratne at 7.

Going on the last 6 weeks of cricket for Sri Lanka Kulesekera and Mendis just don't command a spot. Sri Lanka are a better side with Senenayake and Thisara/Chandimal in for them IMO. Chandimal hasn't been great of late but he's obviously talented and only 8 weeks ago or something he scored some pretty handy runs for them at home.
Mathews can float according to the necessity. Especially with cyrrent trends of Sanga and MJ going ballistic from ball one, there should be a player to hold an end too. Oddly Dilshan had been doing it recently, but his best comes when he plays careless cricket. Thiri and Chandimal can drop anchor in teh current situation.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Chandimal has talent for sure but if you're not batting him in the top 4 (with MJ not opening that's impossible) then you can't get the best out of him

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I do like Jeevan but agree with most here that Satchi HAS to come into the team and then with Rangana at least we should get 20 overs of control. The wickets for the tournament look a world away from what is usually seen and there doesnt seem to be much life in them. I am not sure that malinga is a good gamble for us, i agree that he will get better over time but in playing him constantly he may cost us games. His bowling was garbage and i was hugely disappointed with his "batting". Before i get hammered, I am not expecting him to get a ton- just to show some backbone and effort. Look at how Lakmal batted, he knows his ability is limied but he still tries..

For me, drop malinga, get him practicing hard every couple of days to get back to his best and with an aim to get back into the team in the next round. my team:
1. Thirri, 2. Dilshan 3. Sanga. 4. Chandimal 5. Mahela 6. Mathews 7. Dimuth 8. Satchi 9.Thisara 10. Rangana . 11 Chameera(would have been Eranga if picked)
Yes i know the youngster hasnt proven much but he showed promise in the tour matches and has genuine pace and Kula just isnt doing much with either bat or ball for me at present.

20 overs of control from Herath/Satchi. Thisara can open bowling with Mathews,and dilly can chip in with nicking a couple of wickets in his stint with angie(if he cant bowl the full ten). We will also have batting till 9/10 with this line up..

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Actually,my mistake,I forgot about him..good shout..I agree he should come in instead of chameera then in my team..i would keep thisara in for his ability to hit the bat hard.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a ****ing gun lower order hitter tbf. Really murders the bowling on his day.