• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's squad

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Finch
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Cummins
Harris

Smith
Starc
Hazelwood
Doherty

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
maxwell over smith...?
Not sure. I think that Maxwell is our best ODI spin option. I think he has to play for team balance.

Think Smith and Bailey are chasing the one spot if Clarke is fit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Mitch Marsh will be there, and he'll come in if Doherty is selected, whereas Maxwell plays if they have four quicks.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
far too many ****s earnestly saying that maxwell is as good a spinning option as anyone

Spikey

Watson
Warner/Finch
Clarkeh
Smitteh
Baileh
Marsh or Maxwell or Faulkner
Haddin or Wade or Dropped Tasmanian wicket keeper Tim Paine
MJ
Starceh
Harris
Nathan Hauritz

12th man: not Phil Hughes ok stick your symbolism elsewhere buddy

Spikey

if Faulkner and Maxwell play in the same team with one at 8 and the other at 6 I will ask Dermo Abbott to bowl 200 bouncers at me

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, it's not relevant what the usual wicketkeeper does at number 7. Sides like SL and SA don't have their keepers batting low, and blokes like Dhoni, Buttler and even ****ing Ronchi have proved to be significantly better than 25 averaging players, scoring at five an over with a fifty every 14 innings. Even sides like the Windies whose keepers are like that stack the side with all-rounders to compensate.

Spikey

keepers who bat at 7 are, on average, facing 21 balls a game since 01. it's not because they suck and can't bat. It's because it's a 50 over game and the guy at 7 shouldn't particularly have to bat much. The flow on effect of that is an average of 25 or whatever isn't a sign they can't bat. Wade averages 10 more when he opens than at 7, and Haddin averages 7 more (and it becomes near 10 when you filter out Haddin's pre 2007 efforts). Australian WK's at 7 have recorded like 11 fifties in their history. Haddin has like 10 fifties and 2 tons in less than 50 innings opening.

I just think Australia would be making a huge mistake if they let batting mess around with who they play at 8. The reality is Forkers Faulkner is gonna be called upon to bowl more than to bat. He's faced less than 20 deliveries in like 19 of his 33 matches and if we play him at 8 that means we're expecting at least 42 deliveries and they ain't no way you're gonna convince me he should bowl those deliveries over Starc, Harris, Cummins, Hazlewood even Clint McKay. And we're already gonna be picking two batting all-rounders in the team (Watson, whoever is at 6). I'd be totally fine with Faulkner at 6. If Watson plays at 3, Maxwell at 6 and Faulkner at 8, I won't be. It's weakening the bowling to a greater extent that it's strengthening the batting, all for some x-factor or whatever

imo

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Well I never said they couldn't bat. Yeah, sure, most sevens would probably have a better record opening, but players like MSD, Buttler etc have clear qualities which suit a lower order batsman that Wade and Haddin don't. Reality is most other sides are going to be in a much better place with their number 7 whether he's coming in to do a rebuilding job or finishing in the last few overs. As Marcuss mentioned I'd probably bat Faulkner ahead of whatever keeper, so you would expect his batting prowess to be called upon. And surely the two batting all-rounders means you don't have to go for four frontline bowlers and can justify picking 3 and a bowling all-rounder?

Spikey

Watson has barely taken a wicket lately and Marsh/Maxwell aren't doing much better. They can bowl the overs, but I kinda want wickets.