• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with others on Tredders, tough on him as he has been outstanding for Eng but I really can't see a place for him in this WC.

Question is, which quick are we gonna bring in??

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Agree with others on Tredders, tough on him as he has been outstanding for Eng but I really can't see a place for him in this WC.

Question is, which quick are we gonna bring in??
There's the problem: from the squad, Rankin is unreliable, Gurney is decent but his total inability to bat and field takes away from him somewhat, and I wouldn't call him 'world class', Jack Brooks and Liam Plunkett (hasn't played an ODI since 2011) are inexperienced & Tim Bresnan is one of the worst limited overs players in history.

For me, our attack would be Anderson, Broad, Finn & Plunkett (provided he gets game time in the Tri-Series beforehand), with Mo and Root to provide spin.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
spin isn't a huge deal in aussie or nz but when your spinner averages 26 and is a better bet than the fourth pacer you should pick him. vettori had a pretty good odi career despite playing his home games in nz (not including warne as an argument because ATGness).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
spin isn't a huge deal in aussie or nz but when your spinner averages 26 and is a better bet than the fourth pacer you should pick him
Yeah but Tredwell doesn't average 26 in Australia...........he doesn't have an average as he's yet to take a wicket here in 29 overs (4 ODI'S) So I don't think he is a better bet than a 4th quick in these conditions. Stokes who is probably back of the pack now as an example has 10 wickets at 24 in Oz.

I do understand the sample size I'm looking at here is too small to be truly meaningful but you get my drift.

Also I don't think there is that much drop off between Moeen and Tredders now tbh........if our opening bat can do the tweaking job there just isn't a need nor room for Tredwell in the WC side.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That Stokes record is one reason why I would be happy for him to be in the squad for the WC even if he is a liability in SL.

Prefer Stokes to Woakes to be honest, think Woakes will just get carted on the bouncy pitches.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
That Stokes record is one reason why I would be happy for him to be in the squad for the WC even if he is a liability in SL.

Prefer Stokes to Woakes to be honest, think Woakes will just get carted on the bouncy pitches.
Stokes looked pretty ordinary in the England summer too though. No problem if he is in the squad but what we've seen of him lately he's not in our best 11.

Jordan has been OK in this SL series, but again he had some horrors in England. I can't recall Woakes ever being terrible, but then again he hasn't looked as good as either Jordan or Stokes when they get it right.

****ed if I know basically........Just really hope Finn gets somewhere near his best as I've got him locked in for the 3rd bowling spot after Broad and Jimmy.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've only got two questions in my XI - whether we go for Root or Hales and then Jordan or Woakes. At the moment I'm leaning towards the former in both but Woakes stuck his hand up today.

Cook
Ali
Taylor or Hales
Root or Taylor
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Jordan or Woakes
Broad
Anderson
Finn

Hales or Root
Woakes or Jordan
Tredwell
Meh.

cpr

International Coach
I thought Jordan bowled rather well today, given he can smack a ball well too I'd say he's one for the starting team. I suppose Tredwell showed today he can bowl tight and keep runs down if the pitch shows a bit of help.
Considering Cook doesn't want to bowl Bopara, his place could be in doubt if the pitch isn't spinning - You'll want both Jordan and Woakes in - So long as the top order doesn't collapse, those two are more than capable of offering enough down the order to compensate for no Bopara.

Jarquis

It's different atm though as Root is effectively taking Bopara's overs and Ali can be relied upon to get through 10. That won't be the case in Aus so you need Bopara to bowl any of the overs that the seamers can't if they're getting whacked (instead of Root) but also he'll need to be able to bow some of Ali's quota too.

Edit: If I was picking Woakes AND Jordan then it's Finn who misses out. No way you can have either of those two at 7.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Problem is today all the commentators were saying it was ideally suited to Bopara's style, yet Cook didn't give him a throw, which considering he could do with a bit of a form boost bowling is strange. Root wasn't exactly excelling, neither did Ali, yet the latter did a full compliment.

I've no issue with Jordan at 7, infact I think he's exactly the player I want at 7. But then ideally I want 6 batsmen above who can manage 40-45 overs without collapsing into the tail. We'll never amount to much in OD cricket if we go into the last 10 5 down each time, as there's no platform to rack up the runs at the end. Jordan is the kind of player who can get you a quick 20 in those final overs, I dare say alongside Buttler he's probably the best smash and grab batsman we've got for that time of game. If you've got Woakes and Broad following at 8 and 9, its quite a strong back up if Jordan does get out cheaply.

Jarquis

Broad's OD batting is a joke these days. Woakes hasn't shown anything and Jordan's managed something in all of 3 games.
None of them compare to Bopara as a finisher/

grecian

Ali & Root = no Tredwell
I dunno, I fear you are right, but I am not sure it's the right thing to do, both Root and Moeen are in as batsmen, and Tredders is just so consistent, Let's face it, it's hard to see Bopara's bowling in Oz doing a massive amount either.

All very well people picking a side for when Broad and Anderson are fit, but who knows if that will happen. Jordan, despite the 6-for for Woakes, looks the best seam bowler in Lanka, but his wides and occasional horror ball is still a problem.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bell, Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Bopara, Jordan, Broad, Anderson, Finn, Hales, Woakes, Tredwell, another possibly Bresnan.

Cook will quit. Just in such poor form and low in confidence. You can tell he so much wants to play in a WC and when you think that this will be Bopara and Bell's third WC and yet are still hopelessly average I feel some sympathy for him. But he must see how poor his form is. He normally plays spin well but he's got so many things buzzing around in his head that he's just walking into at the moment. Slight problem for England if he quits is that Morgan is in equally terrible form.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ali likely will be bounced out in Aus on those big square boundaries but he balances the team out. If you don't play him (and play Tredwell instead) you probably have to have Woakes or Bresnan at 7.

Stokes has worked himself out of the squad. They've been trying to make him a bowling allrounder but he is a batting allrounder but not good enough at either aspect yet. He's always been quite erratic for Durham in the shorter formats. He should just be in the test squad for the time being.