Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

There's every confidence you will have a nerfed KW.

Cricket: Williamson tests new action - Sport - NZ Herald News

Kane Williamson's new bowling action has been unveiled in training ahead of New Zealand's opening test against Pakistan starting tomorrow night.

The off-spinner is banned from bowling in the current series because he hasn't been re-tested by the International Cricket Council.

However, the instinctive impression is that his action looks more orthodox and he should have few troubles passing his exam.

Williamson's front arm appeared higher, he's more side-on and looks like he's using his fingers more than his elbow to impart spin and bring the angle at the point of delivery to less than the cricketing limit of 15 degrees.

"I believe it's improving," Williamson said, but wasn't privy to say the date he'll be tested. It's expected to be shortly after the current series.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

NEW ZEALAND RAIN RADAR . AUSTRALIAN RAIN RADAR . U.K. RAIN RADAR

Cricketer Of The Year straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    At risk of wearing out a reference, 'too much icing, not enough cake' is a description that perfectly fits that lineup IMO.

I'm going to assume Ryder is unavailable or at the very least not considered, because I think it's the overwhelming likelihood.

1. Latham
    2. Guptill
    3. Williamson
    4. Taylor
    5. McCullum
    6. Anderson
    7. Ronchi
    8. Vettori
    9. Southee
    10. Mills
    11. McClenaghan

12. Watling
    13. Neesham
    14. McCullum
    15. Boult
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    This team doesn't have a 6th bowler. You gotta have someone in the top 5 that can bowl a few overs, which is why I am so gutted over Ryder.
    This fifth/sixth bowler problem and our openers are our glaring weaknesses. PEWS's side is what I'd like to pick though Anderson having to bowl 10 every match is disaster-city, let alone that there's no leeway if a front line bowler has a bad day. Perhaps McCullum rolling his arm over in the UAE a sign that he thinks he'll need to in the World Cup too. Guptill to chip in with a couple of overs and Taylor to add to his seven career ODI overs too, so as to confuse the opposition with the number of bits and pieces we direct at them.

There's no obvious good solution though. Dan to champion Neesham as opener under the 'solve both problems badly' principle.

I think Williamson will be bowling by the World Cup. I don't expect him to be as good as he was obviously, but I think he'll be able to fill in as a sixth bowler if required.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 19-11-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

That would make things a lot easier, though I'm sceptical that it will happen.

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    I'd go with Prince EWS's team.

McClenaghan is far too dangerous to leave out, especially for an inexperienced player like Henry.

Not convinced that we need to worry too much about a sixth bowler, especially as I predict Williamson to be bowling again by the CWC.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    This fifth/sixth bowler problem and our openers are our glaring weaknesses. PEWS's side is what I'd like to pick though Anderson having to bowl 10 every match is disaster-city, let alone that there's no leeway if a front line bowler has a bad day. Perhaps McCullum rolling his arm over in the UAE a sign that he thinks he'll need to in the World Cup too. Guptill to chip in with a couple of overs and Taylor to add to his seven career ODI overs too, so as to confuse the opposition with the number of bits and pieces we direct at them.

There's no obvious good solution though. Dan to champion Neesham as opener under the 'solve both problems badly' principle.
    Nah, not in this case.

It's a weakness every team in the World Cup is going to have -- I mean, look at the options for fifth and sixth bowlers for each Top 8 side:

- AUS: Marsh/Maxwell + Watson
    - ENG: Bopara + Moeen
    - IND: Jadeja + Rohit/Kohli
    - NZ: Anderson + Williamson
    - PAK: Hafeez + Alam
    - SL: Mathews + Dilshan
    - RSA: Duminy + de Villiers/du Plessis
    - WI: Bravo + Samuels

None of those 5th/6th combinations exactly inspire confidence; only Australia and arguably SL have 6th bowlers of any note whatsoever, and Watson's ODI bowling has regressed dramatically anyway. Basically, if a bowler from any team has an especially bad day, they're ****ed. It isn't endemic to NZ at all. Which is why ensuring your bowlers don't have a bad day is crucial to this tournament IMO.

Incidentally, that's why I would consider dropping half of the Australian bowlers on offer or Mitch M, in particular. Both go missing way too often, even if they are deadly on their day.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

International Regular ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Nah Andereson isa worse ODI bowler than Bopara, Bravo, Duminy and Hafeez too.
    hendrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Nah, not in this case.

It's a weakness every team in the World Cup is going to have -- I mean, look at the options for fifth and sixth bowlers for each Top 8 side:

- AUS: Marsh/Maxwell + Watson
    - ENG: Bopara + Moeen
    - IND: Jadeja + Rohit/Kohli
    - NZ: Anderson + Williamson
    - PAK: Hafeez + Alam
    - SL: Mathews + Dilshan
    - RSA: Duminy + de Villiers/du Plessis
    - WI: Bravo + Samuels

None of those 5th/6th combinations exactly inspire confidence; only Australia and arguably SL have 6th bowlers of any note whatsoever, and Watson's ODI bowling has regressed dramatically anyway. Basically, if a bowler from any team has an especially bad day, they're ****ed. It isn't endemic to NZ at all. Which is why ensuring your bowlers don't have a bad day is crucial to this tournament IMO.

Incidentally, that's why I would consider dropping half of the Australian bowlers on offer or Mitch M, in particular. Both go missing way too often, even if they are deadly on their day.
    Hrmm, interesting. If Williamson is allowed to bowl and can do so without too much loss of effectiveness, I'll be comfortable with our side. Yes he and Anderson may go for runs but there's a little redundancy there. It's just if he can't that we have a real balance problem, worse than probably any other team you've listed.

Think we definitely need to pick Mitch M as well. Because X-factor. X-FACTOR. But seriously we need to beat some teams that are a little better than us most days, so need to have a couple of players capable of having a great day. Mills and Southee are the other likely seamers and they're fairly reliable. Mitch M provides a cutting edge. The X-Factor cutting edge.

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    McClenaghan has a better strike rate than Shane Bond had and an average of 23, there's no way we're not going to pick him.

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    Nah Andereson isa worse ODI bowler than Bopara, Bravo, Duminy and Hafeez too.
    Bopara and Duminy can generally keep it tight, yeah, but Duminy isn't hugely suited to NZ conditions. Bravo can either bowl a brilliant set of 10 or go for 80+, and Hafeez may not be bowling by that point. I'd have them all about level with Anderson, IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    McClenaghan has a better strike rate than Shane Bond had and an average of 23, there's no way we're not going to pick him.
    ^ eggactly

McCleneghan isn't half the bowler Shane Bond was.

I know he has good stats but so does Ravi Ashwin as a test allrounder. I just don't think he's a better bowler than the others.

International Regular ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Bopara and Duminy can generally keep it tight, yeah, but Duminy isn't hugely suited to NZ conditions. Bravo can either bowl a brilliant set of 10 or go for 80+, and Hafeez may not be bowling by that point. I'd have them all about level with Anderson, IMO.
    Good call on Hafeez. The pitch is irrelevant to Duminy, darts are darts anywhere. I just feel that Bravo is a better bowler than Anderson, hits the right areas more consistently, has more bounce to him and is a fair bit quicker.

Duminy doesn't bowl darts, and twenty overs of spin split evenly between a batsman and an inconsistent leggie, with no backup bowler, is a really dangerous call in Aus/NZ.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    McCleneghan isn't half the bowler Shane Bond was.

I know he has good stats but so does Ravi Ashwin as a test allrounder. I just don't think he's a better bowler than the others.
    Clearly he's not quite in Bond's class, but the guy must have something going for him being the 2nd/= quickest of all-time to reach 50 ODI wickets, especially considering most of his games have been against the top sides.

Definitely the first ODI bowler on the sheet for me these days, I would have said Mills 2 years ago, but sadly I think he's on the decline somewhat.

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information