• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best knock of the world cup final?

Which was the best knock in the world cup final?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So let's do a poll. Who played the best knock in the final - Mahela, Gambhir or Dhoni?

Teja.

Global Moderator
As isolated events, Mahela obv.

Gambhir had the opportunity to better it if he finished the Innings but he had to play that **** **** shot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Mahela. WAFG.

Very happy to see Mahela winning this poll in a losing cause rather than Sachin.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
While Mahela's innings was the best in terms of quality, I will still call Gambhir's innings the best Chasing 274 with the team 31/2, awesome.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A toss-up between Mahela and Dhoni, probably Mahela just. I have more time for the guy who takes the ownership of the whole innings and takes the team all the way through the innings.

Dissector

International Debutant
Mahela's was the best in pure batting terms of course, a sublime confection of timing and placement particularly in the powerplay. If this was a regular game I would have voted for him. But this was the world cup final and while I am sure there was some pressure in the first innings it's nothing compared to the pressure that Gambhir would have felt when India were 31/2 chasing 275. I have seen so many teams falter in those situations, get bogged down and lose wickets and it was Gambhir who ensured that India stayed on course. In terms of batting his was the least of the three but in the context of the game I think it was the best.

Redbacks

International Captain
Went for Gambhir, he had situational pressure and was able to negate the spin attack of Sri Lanka to the point where the game could no longer be lost, did this with minimal risk until the dodgy shot to get out, and the bit of luck with the dropped catch.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
See a lot of you voting for Mahela. Do you guys also reckon the MoM should've been given to Mahela?

For me all 3 innings were fantastic and worthy of a world cup final. By small margins, I'd go Dhoni > Mahela > Gambhir.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
just giving my opinion like.

but really i don't understand how peopole can vote for the other two. it was just a mile better knock. just because his team didn't win doesn't make it poorer than the other two.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Doesn't make it better either. I would say they were all equally important and would place Dhoni's and Jaya's innings higher than Gambhir's effort since they stayed out there till their team's innings were over.

vcs

Mahela, ridiculously easy on the eye. Will definitely be cheering on SL if they go further than India in WC '15, don't want guys like Sanga and Mahela missing out on a WC medal.

_Ed_

Mahela - I actually thought it was the innings of the tournament.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Among the knocks played against India in this tournament - would rate Strauss' 156 at least the equal or even higher of this, though of course Indian fielding was **** vs Eng.

Gambhir threw it away with that mad charge, had he not done that - easily his knock would've been the one. He came in at 0/1, watched both India's best batsmen in the shed before he was settled and left at about 230/4. Had he perished 20 or 30 runs later - with victory in clear sight - his contribution would've mostly been the same , 110 or so instead of 97, but would've been remembered differently.

When the commentators kept saying that no one who scored a century in a WC final had lost, the only response that came to mind was that one Indian batsman needed to get a ton. And for the bulk of the innings, that batsman looked like Gambhir.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jayawardene has an almost unique ability to make me look past runs, balls, chances given and match context when assessing an innings. He proves I'm human.

Agree with Spikey.