• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World Cup 2011 dream team?

Blaze 18

Banned
Mine would probably be something like this:

1)Tilakratne Dilshan
2)Sachin Tendulkar
3)Kumar Sangakkara
4)Jonathan Trott
5)Mahela Jaywardene
6)Yuvraj Singh
7)Ryan Ten Doeschate
8)Shahid Afridi
9)Tim Southee
10)Umar Gul
11)Zaheer Khan

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon no one would have predicted Southee to be in there pre-WC. Everyone else (including RTD to some extent) was never really going to stretch anyones imagination.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon no one would have predicted Southee to be in there pre-WC. Everyone else (including RTD to some extent) was never really going to stretch anyones imagination.
Not sure about Jonathan Trott either. Not the most fashionable of players, especially in ODIs, which quite often leads to his contribution being undervalued.

salman85

International Debutant
Dilshan
Tendulkar
Sangakkara
AB De Villiers
Yuvraj Singh
RTD
Shahid Afridi
Peterson
Umar Gul
Zaheer Khan
Malinga

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol nice.

Anyway this is basically a WC XI thread yeah?

Without look at stats as I cbf:

Dilshan
Tendulkar
Trott
AB Devilliers
Yuvraj
RtD
Afridi
Zaheer
Malinga
Gul/Southee (tough)
Tahir

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
AWTA.

But if we have to include other players - I'd have to go with

T. Dilshan
S. Tendulkar
K. Sangakkara (k)
A. De Villiers
Y. Singh
R. ten Doeschate
S. Afridi
R, Peterson
T. Southee
Z. Khan
I. Tahir

Plethora of bowling options (5 bpnafide spinning options and 3 pacers) and whilst batting looks a little light, I'd expect this team to defend most totals based on their WC form.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not much between these teams, seems to be a consensus over about 15 or so players. Two to have been overlooked so far would be Brett Lee and Ross Taylor.

Dilshan
Tendulkar
Trott
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Yuvraj
Ten Doeschate
Afridi
Malinga
Zaheer
Tahir

De Villiers
Taylor
Lee
Southee
Peterson

Shri

Mr. Glass
Tilakaratne Dilshan
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautham Gambhir
Kumar Sangakkara
Yuvraj Singh
AB de Villiers
Shahid Afridi
Imran Tahir
Zaheer Khan
Umar Gul
Tim Southee

Howe_zat

Audio File
ICC team has been announced. Some questionable selctions to say the least.

Tendulkar
Dilshan
Sangakkara ( Wk /Capt )
Jayawardena
De Villiers
Yuvraj
Watson
Afridi
Steyn
Zaheer
Murali

12th: Southee

Steyn and Murali had a couple of excellent spells but were nowhere near their best, I'd have rated Malinga, Southee, Lee, Tahir and Peterson's performances higher. Moving Watson out of position only to supplant Ten Doeschate or another batsman has to be the weirdest call.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
With 3 Asian Teams in the semis, how about an Asian WC XI vs Rest WC XI ?
Which would be the stronger team ?

Asian WC XI

1. Dilshan
2. Tendulkar
3. Sehwag
4. Sangakara (vc)
5. Mahela
6. Yuvraj
7. Afridi (c)
8. Zaheer
9. Malinga
10. Gul
11. Murali

Howe_zat

Audio File
With 3 Asian Teams in the semis, how about an Asian WC XI vs Rest WC XI ?
Which would be the stronger team ?

Asian WC XI

1. Dilshan
2. Tendulkar
3. Sehwag
4. Sangakara (vc)
5. Mahela
6. Yuvraj
7. Afridi (c)
8. Zaheer
9. Malinga
10. Gul
11. Murali
Well if it's on performances in this World cup, the Asians would do it because they've won more matches for their team. If it's just a hypothetical ODI, it'd depend a lot on where it is.

Nonetheless, I'd say:

Strauss
Amla
Trott
Taylor
De Villiers
Watson
Ten Doeschate
Lee
Steyn
Southee
Tahir

Would say it's pretty close, but for the openers.

cnerd123

likes this
Dilshan
Sachin
Trott
Mahela
ABD
Yuvi
MSD (+) (*)
Afridi
Southee
Malinga
Zak

Picked MSD over Sanga, as I feel his captaincy and field settings played a crucial role in India's victory, along with how he shuffled the bowlers. He also showed himself to be a man for pressure situations, his innings will go down as one of the all-time great captain's innings. Gotta respect that.
Trott over Sanga at 3 as he was more consistent. ABDV over Sanga because MSD has the gloves, and ABDV is more electric in the field. Plus, can bat lower in the order and give it that fire power.

Bowling attack more or less picks itself. 3 seamers, Afridi + Yuvi + Dilshan for spin.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Well if it's on performances in this World cup, the Asians would do it because they've won more matches for their team. If it's just a hypothetical ODI, it'd depend a lot on where it is.

Nonetheless, I'd say:

Strauss
Amla
Trott
Taylor
De Villiers
Watson
Ten Doeschate
Lee
Steyn
Southee
Tahir

Would say it's pretty close, but for the openers.
Considering SC conditions, Peterson ahead of Lee I reckon. Watson gives you the third seam option.