Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Assessing the Sri Lankan changes for the final

vcs
    Very interesting thoughts, HB. I am reminded of the Test India won last year at the P. Sara Oval chasing 250 odd in the 4th innings on day 5, and you said similar things about Sanga's captaincy, especially the ease with which he was allowing singles to VVS and Sachin.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Should've played Mendis even though the indians have worked him out. If not Mendis, then should've definitely gone for Herath.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Very interesting thoughts, HB. I am reminded of the Test India won last year at the P. Sara Oval chasing 250 odd in the 4th innings on day 5, and you said similar things about Sanga's captaincy, especially the ease with which he was allowing singles to VVS and Sachin.
    TBF basically every Test captain in the last few years does that, some worse than others.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

vcs
    Not entirely sure Mendis and Herath would have changed a whole lot TBH, but they deserved to be picked if for no other reason than that they had played their part in taking SL to the finals, and you just don't drop people like that on a horses for courses basis.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    TBF basically every Test captain in the last few years does that, some worse than others.
    I think Dhoni is essentially a defensive captain, but when defending gettable targets, he is much more proactive.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    I agree that Sanga's captaincy is pretty dire when the pressure is on, I can't help but think that the decision to include 4 new players in a final would have largely been taken by him and it probably has to go down as one of the most dumb decisions in the history of international cricket.

Having players like Samarweera, Silva in the squad ahead of blokes likes Chandimal or Kandambi was a negative decision to start of with, but in the final axing Mendis, Herath in favour of Kulasekara and Randiv was extremely lame.

Sri Lanka were negative for most of the tournament and they were just lucky that their top 4 batsmen had such a great tournament otherwise they would have really struggled to reach this far.
    A year or two back he was the NO.1 ODI bowler and don't forget that he scored crucial 30 odd runs. Also, his six off the 1st ball of the 2nd last over of Zaheer really shifted the momentum in his team's favour!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post

Yep.. It is not just defensive field settings though.. In ODIs, it is obvious he is just so desperate to have the cushion of 8 overs or so from Malinga and Murali/Mendis up his sleeve in the last ten, irrespective of what the position of the opposition is around the 10 or 15 over mark.. To me, it just smacks of "let me ensure I don get thrashed first" mentality and with the talent at his disposal, that should the last thing Sanga should be thinking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

Not when BOTH batsmen are new...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information