Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dhoni is a superstar. Haters can suck it

Point is you didn't take the route of just saying "I disagree with you calling it silly" comment. You clearly tried to frame the debate as if by me calling your post silly (oh the humanity) I was saying you're a Dhoni hater. Which is incredibly misleading.

It was clearly a stretch, and by your posting you realise that. Not sure why you can't admit you overreacted and should have just played the post.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    See, I'm willing to take the WC argument. That is fine. And I don't even have Dhoni near Bevan yet. However I can understand where the finisher arguments have come from. They are similar to Hussey.

Do you protest the arguments against Hussey being compared to Bevan in ODIs? Because those weren't from World Cups, but non-WC matches.

How much of Bevan are you actually placing on WC matches? Many of his famous innings were played at home in Australia. Others in India in random tri-series.
    I hold Hussey to the same standard I hold Dhoni. And I think, really, he was better than the other two when I look at ability. But I do not hold Hussey as Bevan's equal precisely for the same reasons I do not hold Dhoni his equal.

Outside of the WCs, their records are pretty close but I'd maintain that Bevan was more complete and his averages across opponents is incredibly consistent. I listed several of his notable WC knocks months back when we were discussing this. I put a lot of value on them but it's not like his record rests on them. He has an incredible record regardless and as a finisher is unmatched IMO - especially when you look at the bowling attacks of ODI back then.
    Last edited by Ikki; 02-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    ★★★★★

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Dhoni is the best captain in world right now.Also,the fact that he has two world cups under his belt makes a very strong case for him to be the best Indian captain ever.Whether he goes on to become the greatest indisputed Indian captain ever remains to be seen,and a lot of that would depend on how India perform in away tours in the next few years,but i wouldn't put it past Dhoni to lead them to great heights in the test arena too.

Today's innings was very special indeed.Dhoni might call it his best innings ever,but i think he's played better.Whereas this innings might not classify as the best ever played in a WC final,Dhoni played brilliantly and deserves all the accolades he's getting right now.The only thing where i think he could use a slight improvement is his post match comments,where he should start giving some credit to the opposition too.Otherwise,the man is brilliant.
    Last edited by salman85; 02-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Point is you didn't take the route of just saying "I disagree with you calling it silly" comment. You clearly tried to frame the debate as if by me calling your post silly (oh the humanity) I was saying you're a Dhoni hater. Which is incredibly misleading.

It was clearly a stretch, and by your posting you realise that. Not sure why you can't admit you overreacted and should have just played the post.
    TBH, I didn't appreciate your tone when making those posts after the game. It was as if you were calling people who thought like that out. It's like an "I told you so" and worse, you don't even acknowledge that it could be a perfectly reasonable position to take. You said it was a silly comment; however you meant it. I am here posting, trying to show why it wasn't. That not only do I not have a personal agenda against Dhoni (I actually like him, even if you weren't suggesting it) nor was it a statement made in the heat of the game. I held that opinion months before the match and still hold it even after his fine innings.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth this much fuss. Enjoy your WC win, you bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I hold Hussey to the same standard I hold Dhoni. And I think, really, he was better than the other two when I look at ability. But I do not hold Hussey as Bevan's equal precisely for the same reasons I do not hold Dhoni his equal.

Outside of the WCs, their records are pretty close but I'd maintain that Bevan was more complete and his averages across opponents is incredibly consistent. I listed several of his notable WC knocks months back when we were discussing this. I put a lot of value on them but it's not like his record rests on them. He has an incredible record regardless and as a finisher is unmatched IMO - especially when you look at the bowling attacks of ODI back then.
    That's fair enough.
    TBH, I didn't appreciate your tone when making those posts after the game. It was as if you were calling people who thought like that out. It's like an "I told you so" and worse, you don't even acknowledge that it could be a perfectly reasonable position to take. You said it was a silly comment; however you meant it. I am here posting, trying to show why it wasn't. That not only do I not have a personal agenda against Dhoni (I actually like him, even if you weren't suggesting it) nor was it a statement made in the heat of the game. I held that opinion months before the match and still hold it even after his fine innings.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth this much fuss. Enjoy your WC win, you bastard.
    Tbf I disagreed with your Dhoni comment immediately after the Australia win. So before India had even made the final, let alone before he'd scored in the final.

I rate Dhoni extremely highly as an ODI batsman. I'd say two years ago he was the best in the world, until AB Devilliers took that mantle. I felt the mocking right after he failed when out of form was pretty opportunistic tbh (let me stress, not personal!!!)

Anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

I rate Dhoni extremely highly as an ODI batsman. I'd say two years ago he was the best in the world, until AB Devilliers took that mantle.
    Anyway.
    I also rate Dhoni very highly as an ODI batsman.

And secondly. Hashim Amla might have a few things to say about your choice of best ODI batsman in the world.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International 12th Man
    Talking of ODI batting rankings - the official ones - Kohli (joint 6th), Dhoni, SRT, Gambhir, Sehwag (8-11) are ranked consecutively. What a coincidence...

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Bevan was a fantastic ODI batsman, but he's way way way overrated when people start bringing him into the 'best ODI batsman ever' type discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Bevan was a fantastic ODI batsman, but he's way way way overrated when people start bringing him into the 'best ODI batsman ever' type discussions.
    you must be kidding????

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Slightly disagree.. He is overrated (understandably) by some Aussie posters, but he definitely has merit enough to be considered in a discussion of best ODI batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Slightly disagree.. He is overrated (understandably) by some Aussie posters, but he definitely has merit enough to be considered in a discussion of best ODI batsmen.
    How close he is to Sir IVA Richards as an ODI batsman ?

On a scale of 1-100, I will have IVAR a freaking 95. Bevan at 50. That's how close he is.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post

On a scale of 1-100, I will have IVAR a freaking 95. Bevan at 50. That's how close he is.
    King Viv is right up there at the top. Perhaps alongwith or slightly below Tendulkar. But if you take say 5-6 best ODI batsmen ever, it is almost impossible to omit Bevan from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post

The bolded is your opinion, but unadulterated tripe.

Viv and Bevan were completely different ODI batsmen. Viv was a hard-hitting #3/4 and Bevan a finisher (although he averaged 60! at #4). One set up big scores, the other one chased them. In terms of upper order batsmen there probably is no one as good as Viv, with Sachin just behind. In terms of finishing there is no one like Bevan.
    Last edited by Ikki; 03-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.

The bolded is your opinion, but unadulterated tripe.

Viv and Bevan were completely different ODI batsmen. Viv was a hard-hitting #3/4 and Bevan a finisher (although he averaged 60! at #4). One set up big scores, the other one chased them. In terms of upper order batsmen there probably is no one as good as Viv, with Sachin just behind. In terms of finishing there is no one like Bevan.
    Agree with this.

It boils down to personal preference as well to a certain degree. I like finishers better compared to hard hitting batsmen up the order. Bevan type batsmen a rare breed.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information