• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi - Class Act

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Ok.This just in.I don't know how much of this is a rumor,but :

Wahab Riaz lives in the same locality as a friend of mine.So on Friday when he went to the mosque,Wahab was also there for the prayers.When the prayers ended,and Wahab came out of the mosque,everyone surrounded him,congratulating him on his great bowling performance.Wahab said it would have been nicer if the team was allowed to win the match too.When inquired,he mentioned that the team was directed to lose the match from the government.No bookies involved.No money involved.Just simple political pressure,with a promise from the government of this remaining completley confidential with the players not being accountable. :unsure:
I am hearing this as well..but Pakistanis come up with funny excuses...they won fair and square ...our batting was **** to say the least...and as far as dropped catches go...look at it this way..what if the catch was held and Raina or Yuvi had clicked with so many overs to go..the score was easily going to be near 300 runs...Tendulkar is a master class but i don't think anyone would disagree that it was not his best innings by far...he took his time and didn't up the strike rate as much either..so those dropped catches may have been the reason for India folding out on 260..

Faisal1985

The host basically asks him about his reception in India. I'll attempt to do as good a translation as possible:

Afridi: "Look, I think if I tell the truth, then a Muslim's heart or a Pakistani's heart they can't match. As big or clean a heart that Allah has given us, I don't think they possess. It is very difficult to imagine that we can live together or that we can maintain a long-term relationship with them. Talk is not going to achieve anything. You can see in the past 60 years how many times the relationship has improved and soured. We (Indians and Pakistanis) don't want to fight each other, but a third country who you and me both recognize, wants to sour the relationship between us. We all know who wants to gain advantage from Pakistan and India. I don't want to go into detail. They will not let us unite."

Host then asks about Indian media, which she says was overly hostile in its reporting style. (I'm going to skip the translation of an unrelated Umar Gul question/response):

Afridi: "...As far as their media is concerned, they have a very negative approach. They have really negative thoughts. Their public is not as negative as their media. But I think the media plays a dirty role in souring relationships between us and India. I think our media, which the people often deride, is 100 times better then theirs."
I think he said that because of political pressure... :ph34r:

Faisal1985

yes Sanz bhai it was a pun and Afridi will always be a bottler for me the way he left his young side in England after just one game will always be the biggest bottle job for me even if he wins 10 WC's I am still not going to change my views on him.
Just because he took off because he was a liability in the test team shouldn't be a reason to hate him...

cnerd123

likes this
To be fair a lot of what Afridi said is true. India media is horrid, and this isn't the first time I'm hearing of Indians being rude and jerk-asses in the urban centrals. I've heard that over and over again, there must be some grain of truth to it.
He is also correct that Indians and Pakistanis (the large majority anyways), don't want to fight. But for some reasons the governments don't want to get along. Whether blaming this on a 'third country' is correct or not I won't discuss, but he's correct in that talks aren't acheiving anything.

Xuhaib

International Coach
:laugh:

I was chuckling to my self whenever i went through this thread seeing all the positive comments about Afridi.Afridi is an unstable person which can be clearly seen with his approach to cricket the statements made by him are random depending upon his mood, he neither loves India or hates India its just how he is feeling at that moment and he makes his statement accordingly they are never to be taken seriously.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think what Afridi said is any different to what so many other people say.

It wasn't a smart comment, but it was just an overly patriotic one. It's no different to some countries who think mateship, coming together, fighting against the odds etc. are unique to their own culture.

He's just being patriotic. Meh. No big deal.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think what Afridi said is any different to what so many other people say.

It wasn't a smart comment, but it was just an overly patriotic one. It's no different to some countries who think mateship, coming together, fighting against the odds etc. are unique to their own culture.

He's just being patriotic. Meh. No big deal.
Surely you'd have said the same thing if Sreesanth said something similarly bigoted? Overdoing the diplomacy, are we?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Honestly, if Sree had said that it'd make perfect sense. I think Sree is an overly patriotic guy, and whilst I give him a lot of ****, I wouldn't give him **** for saying something like that. I'd say he's just acting ignorant and over the top like so many people do because they think there is something special about their country's people and character to other countries.

And considering I wasn't born and raised in India I don't really feel any sort of viciousness against Pakistan and was never raised in the environment, so I'm just being myself, not being "overly diplomatic". Not trying to overcompensate for anything.

I would more roll my eyes to that Afridi comment than actually be angry about it. That's just my view though.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I react differently. Am I allowed to, your Highness :p

The thread was about expressing respect to Afridi which I duly did but now I am pointing out respect is not deserved. End of story. Nothing's changed about what I think of Pakistan and it's people. Totally love Pakistani cricket for what it brings to cricketing world - passion, raw talent and unpredictability

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I didn't say you couldn't give your view, I don't think I got on a high horse or anything ankit. I just gave my view of the incident like others did. I didn't put down anyone who got angry at Afridi's comments.

smash84

The Tiger King
Honestly, if Sree had said that it'd make perfect sense. I think Sree is an overly patriotic guy, and whilst I give him a lot of ****, I wouldn't give him **** for saying something like that. I'd say he's just acting ignorant and over the top like so many people do because they think there is something special about their country's people and character to other countries.

And considering I wasn't born and raised in India I don't really feel any sort of viciousness against Pakistan and was never raised in the environment, so I'm just being myself, not being "overly diplomatic". Not trying to overcompensate for anything.

I would more roll my eyes to that Afridi comment than actually be angry about it. That's just my view though.
I didn't say you couldn't give your view, I don't think I got on a high horse or anything ankit. I just gave my view of the incident like others did. I didn't put down anyone who got angry at Afridi's comments.
hmm.....you seem to be a very sensible poster...........why then do you get so much flak from so much other posters ?????? :P

Blaze 18

Banned
I believe he was forced to say that (probably some external pressure from politicians or whatever), because only a day before he said something like this: "Pakistanis watch Indian movies, Indian shows, follow Indian marriage customs and traditions; so why hate India".

That said, it is rather disturbing that Pakistani cricketers always tend to play the Muslim card. After the T20 World Cup final in 2007, Shoaib Malik said he'd like to apologise to all Muslims (rather ironic considering it was Irfan Pathan who won India that match). After the IPL snub in 2009, Sohail Tanvir said "Hinduon ki zehniyat hi aisi hai" - roughly translates to "the mentality of Hindus is like this", and now this Afridi statement. This isn't a political forum, but it is high time someone reminded these dudes that the number of Muslims in India is more or less the same as the population of Pakistan.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Malik's speech after the T20 WC was weird. Different cultures and all that I guess, but can't really relate to that "apologizing to all Muslims" stuff.

smash84

The Tiger King
I believe he was forced to say that (probably some external pressure from politicians or whatever), because only a day before he said something like this: "Pakistanis watch Indian movies, Indian shows, follow Indian marriage customs and traditions; so why hate India".

That said, it is rather disturbing that Pakistani cricketers always tend to play the Muslim card. After the T20 World Cup final in 2007, Shoaib Malik said he'd like to apologise to all Muslims (rather ironic considering it was Irfan Pathan who won India that match). After the IPL snub in 2009, Sohail Tanvir said "Hinduon ki zehniyat hi aisi hai" - roughly translates to "the mentality of Hindus is like this", and now this Afridi statement. This isn't a political forum, but it is high time someone reminded these dudes that the number of Muslims in India is more or less the same as the population of Pakistan.
In Pakistan whenever someone gets in trouble the Islam card is the easiest one to play which is what you will hear most often. It plays on people's sentiments and succeeds in most cases.

Quite unfortunate really

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

A lot of Muslims, especially Pakistanis are of a similar state of mind as people were in the middle ages. They think that their actions are always right and everybody else is wrong. They prefer to believe in conspiracy theories if something goes wrong in order to pacify themselves. It's a shame because we are living in the 21st century and by now Pakistanis should have matured as a people. They should realise that there are good and bad people in all communities and that their actions aren't always correct.

Xuhaib is right about Afridi. He is someone who is constantly hyper, and as a result his emotions will always swing from one extreme to another. His comments about having a bigger heart are inappropriate but you have to remember that this is the same host and audience (same TV channel) which asked Salman Butt to come in and analyse the WC. Also most people do believe that their country or their people are better, so I wouldn't get too angry over it. TBF to Afridi, the Indian media was horrid to him and his team.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The host basically asks him about his reception in India. I'll attempt to do as good a translation as possible:

Afridi: "Look, I think if I tell the truth, then a Muslim's heart or a Pakistani's heart they can't match. As big or clean a heart that Allah has given us, I don't think they possess. It is very difficult to imagine that we can live together or that we can maintain a long-term relationship with them. Talk is not going to achieve anything. You can see in the past 60 years how many times the relationship has improved and soured. We (Indians and Pakistanis) don't want to fight each other, but a third country who you and me both recognize, wants to sour the relationship between us. We all know who wants to gain advantage from Pakistan and India. I don't want to go into detail. They will not let us unite."

Host then asks about Indian media, which she says was overly hostile in its reporting style. (I'm going to skip the translation of an unrelated Umar Gul question/response):

Afridi: "...As far as their media is concerned, they have a very negative approach. They have really negative thoughts. Their public is not as negative as their media. But I think the media plays a dirty role in souring relationships between us and India. I think our media, which the people often deride, is 100 times better then theirs."
Afridi's comments on India media are right but him saying that Pakistani media is 100% better is definitely lol worthy. Every country's media has become like that and Indian media is not an exception and I really don't think they singled out Pakistani cricketers.

Oh and the part in bold is so silly.