• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi - Class Act

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Whatever anyone says. Afridi was amazing as a captain in the whole world cup...best bowler of the tournament imo.....If you take this world cup..he was indeed a class act and showed a lot of character after losing the semis to India.... a lot of people who are down playing his response after the loss don't understand what it means for each team to lose a clash like this.....if you are not an Indian or a Pakistani you will never even come close to understand the heart break of losing a game like this....nuff said.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
as usual immature stuff from Afridi, Sohail was criticizing Afridi the captain while Afridi went on to take a dig on Sohail's personal character.
Amir Sohail is the biggest dick head in Pak cricket....he would even call Imran's captaincy ghatiya if he had the chance to...Afridi responded well....Amir Sohail can go and screw himself....he was the reason we had to face embarrassment in 1996 as well for being a prick.

salman85

International Debutant
Ok.This just in.I don't know how much of this is a rumor,but :

Wahab Riaz lives in the same locality as a friend of mine.So on Friday when he went to the mosque,Wahab was also there for the prayers.When the prayers ended,and Wahab came out of the mosque,everyone surrounded him,congratulating him on his great bowling performance.Wahab said it would have been nicer if the team was allowed to win the match too.When inquired,he mentioned that the team was directed to lose the match from the government.No bookies involved.No money involved.Just simple political pressure,with a promise from the government of this remaining completley confidential with the players not being accountable. :unsure:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Wahab Riaz lives in the same locality as a friend of mine.So on Friday when he went to the mosque,Wahab was also there for the prayers.When the prayers ended,and Wahab came out of the mosque,everyone surrounded him,congratulating him on his great bowling performance.Wahab said it would have been nicer if the team was allowed to win the match too.When inquired,he mentioned that the team was directed to lose the match from the government.No bookies involved.No money involved.Just simple political pressure,with a promise from the government of this remaining completley confidential with the players not being accountable. :unsure:
Stories like these have been spreading quite alot. Keep hearing things about how punters in India knew exactly what was going to happen during the semi finals. Sucks if any part of it is true though..

salman85

International Debutant
I have doubts too.Never during the match did i see any signs of deliberate under-performance from either side.The only finger you could point at was Misbah,but that's the way he always plays.Nothing new.People are pointing a finger at Gul's spell,but he has gone for a few in the past with the new ball,so that's isnt new either.

I think the one thing that could support this government pressure thing is the fielding.None of the Tendulkar chances were dollies,but none of them were hard too.Dropping catches is a norm for our fielders,but you don't expect that from Umar Akmal,Younis Khan and Misbah,in the same match,especially since they are amongst our best catchers.

But anyway,we never quite know what happens between the powers that be of India and Pakistan politics.I think it's an insult to both teams if something like this did happen.It's an insult to India since it downplays their great win,and it's an insult to Pakistan since they played out of their skins in the whole tournament.

Xuhaib

International Coach
don't think Wahab would be this stupid that he would let something so confidential out to the average Rashid-kashif coming to the mosque, seems like bull**** to me.

Fusion

Global Moderator

:laugh: Oh come on. Let's just accept that we lost FAIR AND SQUARE. No amount of rumors is going to change the result. This rumor in particular doesn't even make any sense. At least with the bookies rumor, there is a reason to lose the match (money). Why would the government of Pakistan pressure the team to lose the match? To be in India's good graces? Rightttt, because that's how we solve the Kashmir issue. By losing a cricket match on purpose. Lastly, why in the hell would Riaz disclose this top-secret information to a bunch of strangers? Worst. Rumor. Ever.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Good to know that it's only up to the Pakistan players and the PCB as to whether they win a game or not. Obviously the talents of India are irrelevant.

Dire rumour.

smash84

The Tiger King
Amir Sohail is the biggest dick head in Pak cricket....he would even call Imran's captaincy ghatiya if he had the chance to...Afridi responded well....Amir Sohail can go and screw himself....he was the reason we had to face embarrassment in 1996 as well for being a prick.
awta

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dude your friend made a good april fool out of you :)

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
So when Pakistan win a match it's due to their talent, but when they lose it's because of fixing. :laugh:

It's sad that some people are degrading India's victory. They played brilliant cricket and so were deserving champions. The rest should learn to be gracious in defeat, which is the sign of true sportsman spirit.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Translation?
He's basically saying that Indians can never be as warm as Pakistanis are and relates it to the majority religions in the two countries. Also says that Indian media is much worse than Pakistani one. Second part is alright with me even though politically incorrect. First part is piss poor.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Translation?
The host basically asks him about his reception in India. I'll attempt to do as good a translation as possible:

Afridi: "Look, I think if I tell the truth, then a Muslim's heart or a Pakistani's heart they can't match. As big or clean a heart that Allah has given us, I don't think they possess. It is very difficult to imagine that we can live together or that we can maintain a long-term relationship with them. Talk is not going to achieve anything. You can see in the past 60 years how many times the relationship has improved and soured. We (Indians and Pakistanis) don't want to fight each other, but a third country who you and me both recognize, wants to sour the relationship between us. We all know who wants to gain advantage from Pakistan and India. I don't want to go into detail. They will not let us unite."

Host then asks about Indian media, which she says was overly hostile in its reporting style. (I'm going to skip the translation of an unrelated Umar Gul question/response):

Afridi: "...As far as their media is concerned, they have a very negative approach. They have really negative thoughts. Their public is not as negative as their media. But I think the media plays a dirty role in souring relationships between us and India. I think our media, which the people often deride, is 100 times better then theirs."

Fusion

Global Moderator
So he basically goes from giving a forcefull statement advocating love/harmony between India and Pakistan to a moronicly and hurtfully stereotyping the Indians in the span of 24 hours. Brilliant. 8-)

R_D

International Debutant
:laugh:
Talk of wanting an IPL contract don't seem so far fetched now.

I do agree with the part about media though.... very negative in India. Only became so negative after Mumbai attacks.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
The host basically asks him about his reception in India. I'll attempt to do as good a translation as possible:

Afridi: "Look, I think if I tell the truth, then a Muslim's heart or a Pakistani's heart they can't match. As big or clean a heart that Allah has given us, I don't think they possess. It is very difficult to imagine that we can live together or that we can maintain a long-term relationship with them. Talk is not going to achieve anything. You can see in the past 60 years how many times the relationship has improved and soured. We (Indians and Pakistanis) don't want to fight each other, but a third country who you and me both recognize, wants to sour the relationship between us. We all know who wants to gain advantage from Pakistan and India. I don't want to go into detail. They will not let us unite."

Host then asks about Indian media, which she says was overly hostile in its reporting style. (I'm going to skip the translation of an unrelated Umar Gul question/response):

Afridi: "...As far as their media is concerned, they have a very negative approach. They have really negative thoughts. Their public is not as negative as their media. But I think the media plays a dirty role in souring relationships between us and India. I think our media, which the people often deride, is 100 times better then theirs."
ugh......Afridi..........not impressed at all now...........